Things I need to know for cruising the Med

Catherine - Looks like we are following each other. We are going on the Splendor on October 22nd and we too were on the Mariner back in November.

Tania - Thanks for the wine info. We will bring back in our roll on carry on luggage and try our luck :)

Hi Harlow2,

We also cruised the mediterranean with the Splendour last September and we had a great time.

I am sure you will want to visit the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel during your stop in Rome. One word of caution, no one is allowed to take pictures inside the Sistine Chapel. You are allowed however to take pictures anywhere else in the Vatican Museum but use of "flash" is not allowed. We had a problem when we went as nobody has forwarned us that we cannot use a "flash" when taking photographs. We had just bought ourselves a digital camera for the trip so we haven't quite figured out yet how all the other functions work. We had to fumble on how to make it work without a flash. Yes, we were able to take some photographs but some of them turned out quite blurred. So if you are using a digital camera and does not know yet how to use it without the flash, figure it out before you leave, so you don't lose the opportunity of taking pictures of great works of art.

I have thought alot about taking pictures on our trip. I was wondering from you that have been there if buying a book of professional pictures at the gift shops is a better option. Although I love to take pictures I am not sure how many of mine would actually capture the real feel of the art. What do you think?

At each of the major ports we've visited we have purchased a book. That's my first choice for a souvenier. Where they are available, we buy the ones published by Bonechi - they are fantastic. Look for Art and History of............ They usually cost around $10. In the Med I found them at Venice, Barcelona, Florence and Istanbul. I've got other books from Athens, Monaco, Pompeii & Ephesus. Be sure to check inside and confirm that you have picked up the English editions.

I take LOTS of pictures - but they can not compare to the ones in the books. Those are taken with perfect lighting - no or few tourists around - and just enough good information to remind me about what we've seen. When I can't find a book, I buy postcards.

Julie

What month are you cruising. July was VERY HOT in Italy when we went. I was glad we had hats and suntan lotion. Notify credit card company of your itinerary before you leave so they will not cut off your cards thinking they are stolen. If using an ATM machine overseas, make sure your PIN consists of numbers not letters. Wear comfortable walking shoes and keep a bandaide handy just in case you get blisters. Many streets are cobblestone. Wear comfortable clothing. I was told that I should wear long pants otherwise the Europeans would look down on me. Nonsense, I saw shorts all over the Med. I did, however, dress more conservatively if I was planning on going into a church. Do some research about the places you are visiting. Put together a list of "must-see items." We did. I pre-ordered tickets whenever possible and avoided waits in museums. Don't be afraid to explore. Your itinerary is a good one with many wonderful places to visit. If you can manage it, a pre and post cruise is a wonderful way to go. Helps with jet lag and port-itensive itinerary. Last, but not lease, relax and have a great time. We will be going back to the Med in 2006 and can't wait.

We are planning a cruise to Med. in 2006, what ship are you planning to sail? What do you think of Brilliance from RCL. Any comments?

Thanks

You will really like this cruise but you should heed some warning in going to Europe for the first time. I guartee you will experience jet lag. Once you leave the Eastern U.S. or the Western U.S. you will arrive in Europe only to find you missed a good nights sleep. I strongly recommend you plan on a precruise stay of one or two days. Since you are doing Splendor you will find Barcelona a wonderful city to tour. Hotels in Barcelona don't come cheap so plan ahead. Try to arrive in Barcelona with some Euros in your pocket. Taxi drivers are pretty good in Barcelona but they are use to "Euros not dollars". Be prepared the dollar does not go to far these days in Europe. You might want to stay post cruise in Barelona before flying back to the States. The food is not like you are use to. Read ahead so you know what you are ordering. There is always MacDonalds. Note MacDonalds in Spain does not serve breakfast. They don't open until 10:00 am at most places. You can get some great wine at a price that is just plain cheap.

Do not be suprise if you go the beach only to find almost everyone topless. (Including males) My wife gave me a dirty look in Villefrance but once I explained to her "this is the French Rivera" and this is how the culture is in Europe. She took me up on my offer for a glass of rose at the beach side bar and everything after that was fine. This is why going to Europe is so wonderful. There is a surprise around every turn. I even know a relative that thought all those statues in Florence were "X" rated. I only know there sure are alot of Americans that have no culture at all.

There are some excursions that you can take on Splendor that offer a great chance to see places you would never know of. Example, the Les Baux tour at Marsellie offers a chance to see sights out side of the big city that are just amazing.

Don't over pack. I think you weight limit will be about 70 pounds. Do alot of planning and read all you can. I have been to Europe four times now and I am still amazed at all these places that are just so different. Trip number five has already been booked for late May of 2005. I wish you the best cruise ever. Tim and Cathy

Norwegian Sky Alaska 5/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 5/04

Guys.

What ship are you going on in May. My family and I are booked on the Splendour for a 7 day cruise starting May 28th.

Ron

In regard to some of the horrified comments about stopping in a McDonalds in Europe, while I whole heartedly agree that part of the experience is trying the local food, there are two BIG attributes that justify noting the location of the local McDonalds - not necessarily for dinner, but for a break while sight seeing. First, the availability of cold soft drinks and beer in an air conditioned building, without an extra charge for sitting down. Second, clean bathroom facilities with tissue and toilet seats - a rarity in much of Europe, particularly the south! You won't believe how much we take ice and plumbing for granted!

And I have never been in a McDonalds in the US . . . how many Americans can say that! LOL!

• 7 months later...

Archived