Radiance Review part 2

Betsie

Went to the welcome aboard show - it was ok, definately not something to write home about.

Day 2 Coco Cay

Weather was not the best, we got off the ship around 10ish and found some chairs. This was our second time here and I did not notice many changes from the hurricanes. Ds and Dh went snorkeling, dd and I just sat around and read. We had two small sprinkles and then in the afternoon the sun came out. We stayed until about 3:00, I think, and caught a tender back to the ship - no lines this time so that was nice.

Day 3 Sea Day

Lounged by the pool (very windy today), ate at Seaview, played golf and pool - this was pretty much my standard fare for all the sea days.

St. Thomas

Woke up to rain and were not sure what we were going to do. Ended up taking a tour that was cold and didn't have many great views because of the rain. DS and DH went snorkeling in the afternoon on a ship excursion while DD and I tried to get some sun. Again, cloudy and after about 45 minutes, we got rained on again. No problem getting a chair, though.

St. Maarten

Rented a car on our own here and had a nice tour around the island. We were in search of a beach, which we found about 1ish (after driving ALL over for several hours), but that was part of the fun. Rented a chair, did some swimming and snorkeling and again - got rained on. Never had much rain or for long periods of time, but it was a little disappointing compared to our previous cruises where we had NO rain. Wonder if it is that time of the year?? Previously we have cruised in March and April. Decided it was time to head back to the ship at about 2:45 - were supposed to be on at 4:30. Got stuck in traffic.....3:05....3:15....3:25.....3:35 and we have really not moved much. We were over by the airport and with no traffic would have only taken us about 15 minutes to get back, so we thought we had plenty of time. Ended up passing traffic and cutting in line three times. Were told by a police officer (one of the ones who we cut in front of:) that it was just afternoon traffic and we would not make it back to Phillipsburg by 4:30...EEEEKKKKK!! And guess what......we got rained on again - in an open Jeep!! We did see a very small fender bender that seemed to be holding us up. After we passed that we were on our way.....got turned around in Phillipsburg (going the wrong way on a one way street). Had a nice man lead us out of that mess and NOW we were on our way. Made it back to the ship with 20 minutes to spare. For some of you, this might seem insane...at the time it was NOT fun, but if I had to do it all over again, I would. I would just be closer to the ship in the afternoon.

Last two Sea days were pretty much just like the others.

Didn't get a chance to do much shopping, went to almost all the shows. Missed the Caribbean midnight buffet, but went to the Gala buffet. I ended up with a cold/sinus thing beginning the second night and lasted until guess when...the day we got off the ship. I took lots of decongenstants and Advil and tried not to let it bother me - for the most part that worked!!

Overall, I was not overly impressed by the cruise director Adam, but Captain Kent was great - went to his Q&A session on the last sea day. The entertainment was so/so. I was a little disappointed that we did not get an afternoon snack in our cabin each day (we got them twice), and our waiter/asst waiter were fine, but not outstanding like on our previous cruises....dinner was usually slow, getting coffee was slower (this may have had something to do with one tablemate who took FOREVER to eat) and the Assistant waiter never did figure out that I wanted lime with my water every night with dinner. We did however get a huge plate of lobster and shrimp brough the the table when we asked for seconds - that was a hoot.

Signed DS up for Adventure Ocean on the first sea day, becuase he seemed a little bored and then he never went. This was his second cruise and he has never participated in the kids programs....to many other things to do.

Debarkation was very smooth - which was very different from our first two experiences that were like a cattle call. Our flight did not leave MIA until 8PM, so we rented a car and drove to Key Largo, went to an alligator farm and did the air boat ride in the Everglades. That was almost the highlight of the trip - if you ever have the chance to go - give it a try. Also stopped a little market called Robert is here and had some great fruity shakes.

Thankfully the trip back with Air Tran was uneventful. They did give us each a $50 voucher to be used in the next 12 months, so we may give them another try.

We had a super cruise - I love the Radiance class ships, but I think our next with the kids will be back on a Voyager class. We booked another while on board. I think that is most of the major stuff. Any questions, just ask!!

Archived