Sky - Car Rental pick-up time at POM

MSPCUBS

I will be on the Norwegian Sky in Sept. I have a car reserved from Avis at their downtown location. What time should I schedule the pick-up for? I am not sure when we will be able to get off the ship.

This is what we found out last year when we reserved a car from the airport location, the airport is also a port of entry like the cruise dock and one port of entry could not pick up from the other. But you are using a downtown location and they can. What I would do is give them an approx time for pick up and then call them when you get off the ship, most of the rental places are not that far away and some already have shuttles there waiting.

I usually stay on the ship as long as I can:D, but you should be able to get off and through customs pretty early if you want to. Avis will hold your car for a minimum of 6 hours past your scheduled pick up time and will hold it for you until closing unless they are completely sold out, so just make your best guess. Keep in mind they charge on a 24 hour clock, meaning if you pick it up at 11:00 AM, for a one day charge it is due to be dropped off the next day by 11:00 AM. They will allow up to 30 minutes grace time (car is checked in, not that you are standing in line;)) then they start charging per hour. So if you are more than 2 hours, 29 minutes past time you will pay for a second day.

You might want to work out the best time for you to pick it up depending on what time your flight is.

I also suggest you check with your own insurance company to see if you have coverage for the car including "loss of use"(make sure you have your insurance verification form with you) or with your credit card company to see if they provide coverage. My Chase Visa does, and I think American Express does also.

Archived