Fishing -- is it true?

cruiserdru

Is it true that the charter boats take out 6 people at a time but only 4 can fish at one time? :eek:

One of the charter companies told us this was true for all the charters. Our guys want to maximize their fishing time and that would mean they could only fish 2/3 of the time they are out. I am concerned that they are simply trying to get us to pay for 2 boats as we have a group of 7.

Thanks for any info.

the first level of coast guard certification is for six persons plus boat crew( a 6-pack license). if trolling, four lines are the maximum logical you can wet at a time; two off the stern and one off of each side of the boat.

you may be able to wet six lines while jigging for halibut, but not while trolling.

In my many fishing trips to Alaska, we have NEVER stayed the full 8-12 hours (whatever it may be) or worried that there were only four lines in the water at one time. If you are fighting silvers, you are more than happy to rest, have a cup of coffee, etc. Same with pulling a big halibut off the bottom. We have always caught our limit long before the time would have run out.

If you have a great captain and the fish are biting, it isn't like sitting in a boat on a lake fishing for perch or bluegills.

There are bigger boats than the 6-paks, but we have always enjoyed filling our own boat, or meeting up with others to make the 6-pak because it is always a great time.

Have a great time.

Janice

I have read that no more than 6 lines can be in the water at any given time, even on the larger boats. I have seen some charters out of Ketchikan that allow up to 18 people, but only 6 people fishing at any given time. One such company I have read about also allows non-fishing guests at approx. 50% (maybe even greater discount) of the fishing price if this is something your party would be interested in.

Archived