How does the ocean's club discount work ??

We would be grateful if any Cruise Critic members, who regularly cruise with Fred Olsen could help us.

We have booked aboard Balmoral's 108 day world cruise in 2011. We are seasoned cruisers but this is our first time with Fred Olsen.

I believe that if you have previously cruised with FO you are enrolled in their loyalty club called Oceans Club and you are then eligible for discounts on your on-board spend, similar to the Portunus club scheme..

Given that the on-board spend over 108 days could be significant, to say the least, would it pay me to book a quick / cheap 5-7 day cruise with FO anytime beforehand in order to become eligible for a discount later.

I am estimating that if we were eligible for say a 5% discount, the cost of a prior cruise to qualify would more than pay for itself. Also we would get the feel of a FO cruise.

Or have I got it totally wrong (again ) !!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oldsilverfox.

We are on the first tier of club membership and understand the 5% discount on board spend and pre-booked excursions is being changed for 5% off cruises (conditions apply!). The date of the change though, I don't know. FO would help you if you rang them and asked.

There are three levels of membership depending on the number of nights you have spent on board Fred. Olsen ships (this does not include flights or pre/post cruise stays). You can get the full details on www.fredolsencruises.co.uk and click on "my cruises". All will be revealed. please note the key workds that "conditions apply".

Archived