HELP!!! Roatan sand flea/fly bites driving me crazy!!

cruisinghubby

ARGHHH.... :mad: I used repellent at Roatan, I didn't go to any of the beaches, and I still have about 30 of these bites on me.. They didn't itch much until 2 days ago, and now they are almost keeping me up at night... If this keeps up, I'm going to end up scratching till I scar...

For everyone who has gone to Roatan and gone through this, any home remedies/elixirs/potions to use?? I'm almost to the point of using Windex like the father in "Big Fat Greek Wedding"... :confused: :confused: Darcy

You can try some topical benadryl.

Also Aveeno baths are great for relieving itching. This is what their web site says:

Soothing Bath Treatment

Aveeno® Soothing Bath Treatment for itchy, irritated skin is made of 100% pure colloidal oatmeal – a long recognized ingredient that relieves itching. In this unique bath product from Aveeno®, colloidal oatmeal is milled to an ultra-fine powder. When dispersed in water, this powder forms a soothing milky bath. After bathing, skin becomes softer and smoother and dry, itchy, sensitive skin is relieved. Aveeno® Soothing Bath Treatment works as a natural cleanser and cleanses the skin without soap. Surface soils adhere to the ultra-fine colloidal oatmeal particles and gently rinse away. Aveeno® provides temporary skin protection and relieves minor irritation and itching.

You can buy it at any drug store.

Hope this helps!

What did you do if you didn't go to the beach and still got bit???? :confused:

I don't understand your question. It doesn't matter where you get bit. If you get bit you get bit....the treatment for it is still the same.:rolleyes:

:D Don't worry uneamie, I understand Matt's question.. the thing is there are sand fleas and sand flies.. The fleas getcha at the beach, the flies get you anywhere.. we were at a guesthouse arranged through the concierge.. we had lunch, sat around their pool, and I was kayaking in the bay for a bit. But as long as skin was exposed, the flies could get you..

I asked someone at work about this, she mentioned the Oatmeal bath as well, and then I looked at this thread again, the Aveeno rang a bell. I'll give it a try!

I was at Roatan a week ago today (the 14th), I don't flare up from allergic stuff, this is definitely from that day. When I was at Roatan 4 years ago, I remember getting bitten back then too. By the way, when you are bitten, you don't know it, all you notice is these red spots that start to appear on you.

Regarding using Aveeno, isn't this just for some dry skin problem, sort of what you get in dry weather? I'm thinking that this Benadryl might be more useful because it gets inside your body, the antihistamine effect...

I live in buggy marshy Charleston with lots of mosquitos and nasty chiggers. We swear by Aveeno Anti-Itch spray (CVS, Eckerds, most grocery pharmacy areas carry it). Also can take Benadryl antihistimine tablets at night to sleep better.

Hubby had 40 chigger bites all over this past summer so we had a real test of products. Also heard to paint clear nail polish on them but that sounds a little scary for a lot of bites

We did a short swim at a Roatan beach and had a few leg bites despite using DEET product sprayed on since not waterproof. Fortunately we didn't get itchy which was surprising.

I did the Aveeno baths when I had broken out with hives several years ago. Generally, the stuff does more than just moisturize your skin -- I think it has some topical anti-inflammatory properties in it as well.

I appreciate your discomfort! The itch you get from these things is maddening.

I have been to Roatan three times and have never been bitten by sand fleas. Regular ole Texas fleas find me before anyone else.

Been to the beach, to a private home as well. November and December. Took Deep Woods Off and never used it. Ah, well, I guess I'm just lucky.

However, I have heard that they are prevalent in Belize as well.

Believe it or not, bugs are attracted to different blood types, 0+ being their favorite. And red attracts the biters also. like honey to a bee.

You could have remedies for the bites right in your kitchen. Vinegar is the best for relieving the itch. (who cares what you smell like when you are that uncomfortable) Baking soda and water makes a paste which works, but is messy. Some swear by meat tenderizer.

Good luck.

My husband got bit by sand fleas, flies, something in Florida. We boarded the Grand Princess and he broke out all over -- 60 some bites -- finally went to the doc on board. Because he is diabetic doc gave him an antibiotic plus anti-histamine(sp?) and something topical to put on. He was pretty miserable and you don't know when or what bites you -- shows up a couple of days later.

Good luck.

Is that what all these bites are from? I'm covered in them (was also in Roatan last week--on the Sea). The itch has gotten better (sorta) but now waiting for the pretty marks to fade away

Oh crap I just did a search on cutaneous leishmaniasis and found pictures. Oh my crap. Next time will bathe in bug spray first.

Have been there 3 times,never even gotten one bite, but the last time (Nov) hubby and another friend got eaten alive. They should have done the deet thing before arriving at the resort, but waited and it was too late. Hubby was itchy from that night until a day or two later just sparatically, our friend not as bad. It will only last a day or so, but not fun no matter what. DH was helped by alcohal, we didn't have any medical alcohal with us and didn't want to visit doctor, so we used the Gin some other friends had: it worked!! NMNIta

Archived