Atlantic Superstore near St. John's dock?

Just to be clear, you are referring to Saint John, New Brunswick, not St. John's Newfoundland, right? I don't believe there are any stores in walking distance. A couple miles in either direction are the closest locations.

We're coming there on Carnival Triumph. I love Loblaw's (fabulous grocery store) and it's affiliates and wonder if there's an Atlantic Superstore to get a few goodies at while we're in port?

The Carnival Triumph does not call in St. John's,which is in Newfoundland. It comes here to Saint John, New Brunswick.

There are two Superstores here, neither of which is within walking distance. However, both are a quick taxi ride away. I prefer the one on Somerset Street as it is newer and easier to get to. There is an older one on Rothesay Avenue.

If you look at a google map (street and terrain view, as it blurs on satellite view) the Superstore is located on the right hand side just after Somerset Street intersects with Ropewalk Road.

One of the signs says "Millidgeville Market" or something like that but it is an Atlantic Superstore.

Great, thanks. I plan to check it out. Need some Pres Choice choco chunk cookies and a few other things I can't get in NJ.

Yes, I think I confused myself too. I can point to a map where I'm going but can't spell it right! LOL :D

So the newer one is the Millidgeville Market one, right?

And I gotta find a place for a lobster roll. Other than subway. LOL When in eastern Canada, that's a must! When I was in Halifax for 3 days I insisted on lobster every day!

You can take a bus to the Superstore "Saint John Market" - Route #2 every 20 minutes right in front of Barbour's General Store (takes less than 10 minutes). Tell driver you want off at Superstore. Coming back cross the street from the Superstore in front of Chevy dealership - takes you right back uptown near ship - Route #1 every 20 minutes. Fare is $2.50.

The PC cookies are amazing!

McDonalds may have "McLobster" when you are here.

Above applies to August 9th and after as schedule has changed. If before this date, take Bus "East Rothesay Ave"

Perfect. I'll get to ne of the 2. And check out MickeyD's to see if they have lobster too. That I have to get in a photo!

Next question. Tim Horton's??? Need the brkfst sandwich and some timbits.

I know I sound food-minded but don't get the wrong idea; I don't gain weight on cruises! Canada has some good stuff we don't have here!

Great, thanks. I plan to check it out. Need some Pres Choice choco chunk cookies and a few other things I can't get in NJ.

Yes, I think I confused myself too. I can point to a map where I'm going but can't spell it right! LOL :D

So the newer one is the Millidgeville Market one, right?

And I gotta find a place for a lobster roll. Other than subway. LOL When in eastern Canada, that's a must! When I was in Halifax for 3 days I insisted on lobster every day!

Yes the newer one is Millidgeville Market. Acey is the bus route expert on this board so maybe he can give you the bus # to take to get there. If they still sell them, the Pres Choice Key Lime Cookies are great.

For your lobster roll try Billy's Seafood at the head of the City Market or Steamers which is across the street from the Pugsley Cruise Terminal.

The Tim's in Brunswick Square and Market Square are sort of limited menu kiosks. The Tim's on King Street is a full service store. It is on the right hand side of King Street as you walk up toward King Square.

Be sure and buy some Smarties which are like M & M's only much better. Even better than the Canadian Smarties are the British Smarties which are available in the City Market at Pete's Frootique. They cost more but they are made of European chocolate which can't be beat. Savour them one at a time slowly.

Also try some Maple Sugar candies---available at Slocum and Ferris in the City Market. I am sure other places sell them as well but Slocum's is the place I have noticed them and bought them. They are so rich that it is hard to eat more than a couple at a time, but they are to die for.

If you're looking to get your fix of Canadian only treats don't forget about Coffee Crisp bars, Aero chocolate Bars, All Dressed chips and Ketchup chips (though correct me if I'm wrong and they are available elsewhere).

Enjoy :D

Thx guys for all this helpful info. I realize my agenda is different than other visitors: grocery store, Tim's, lobster roll. I'm not much of a trinket shopper (except for a shot glass) so maybe we'll rent a car and explore? Not sure. We're in port 8-6pm.

Sapper: Good to know about Tim's stores. And I'll try the key lime cookies. Dad likes the mossie logs so I'll be getting a bag of those, and choco chunk cookies for me! oh, and pizza bread! Love that stuff. (I've spent a lot of time in Loblaw's in Toronto and Zehr's in Niagara--all part of the same chain). I like the Smarties ice cream best!

Denlin, so funny, those are all things I buy when visiting Canada! I like the aero DARK and the mint. Friends like coffee crisp so I bring those too. Pres Choice has lots of good candies under their own brand too I've learned. Why does the US not sell ketchup chips?

Acey: where can I get schedule for bus? We're there August 8th.

Thx guys for all this helpful info. I realize my agenda is different than other visitors: grocery store, Tim's, lobster roll. I'm not much of a trinket shopper (except for a shot glass) so maybe we'll rent a car and explore? Not sure. We're in port 8-6pm.

Sapper: Good to know about Tim's stores. And I'll try the key lime cookies. Dad likes the mossie logs so I'll be getting a bag of those, and choco chunk cookies for me! oh, and pizza bread! Love that stuff. (I've spent a lot of time in Loblaw's in Toronto and Zehr's in Niagara--all part of the same chain). I like the Smarties ice cream best!

Denlin, so funny, those are all things I buy when visiting Canada! I like the aero DARK and the mint. Friends like coffee crisp so I bring those too. Pres Choice has lots of good candies under their own brand too I've learned. Why does the US not sell ketchup chips?

Acey: where can I get schedule for bus? We're there August 8th.

www.thinktransit.com

Click on "Changes are Coming" and there you will find the bus schedules. Let me know if you need more info.

I was just into the Millidgeville Market and ever since I mentioned the Key Lime cookies my mouth has been watering for them. I went looking for them and could not find any so perhaps they don't make them any more.

They did, however, have lots of PC choco chunk.

You can not find Ketchup Chips in the US. My DH is a ketchup lover and when we saw them in Halifax last year we bought them. He loved them. Of course we can not find them here. One of his request is to buy ketchup chips when we are in Canada. Now I have to try the PC Choco chunk cookies. The key lime sound delicious since I love key lime pie.

Okay you guys are making me hungry.

Thanks again for all the information.

Oh Tim Horton's is great. We first tired the muffins there a few years back when in Niagara and my husband keeps saying we must go back to get more sometime soon. In September we'll be going to Canada and New England on NCL Majesty and now that I know we'll have access to Tim Horton's I am really excited. DH is sleeping now, can't wait to mention it to him in the morning.

Oh Tim Horton's is great. We first tired the muffins there a few years back when in Niagara and my husband keeps saying we must go back to get more sometime soon. In September we'll be going to Canada and New England on NCL Majesty and now that I know we'll have access to Tim Horton's I am really excited. DH is sleeping now' date=' can't wait to mention it to him in the morning.[/quote']

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/locator/index.html

This link will help you locate the various Tim's on the map of each city you are visiting. You don't need the street intersection---just the city and province and you will get a mapquest map of each location.

Tim's in the Maritime provinces (where everybody knows everybody else or else they are related) has become like the old time general store where you will most likely meet people you know and sit and spend forever over your coffee and a chat. It is said that while there may be six degrees of separation in the rest of the world, there are only two degrees in the Maritimes, so Tim's fills an important community need.

I checked and there do not appear to be any Second Cup coffee shops there in St. John? They have good coffee too.

Timbits and a brkfst sandwich. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No Second Cup in Saint John. There is one in Fredericton and one in Dieppe---not near here.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived