shopping for handmade items in ports

auntrenae

Hi,:)

I'm a jewelry designer and would like to buy some handmade beads and baubles in port, so I'm interested in any advice on what is available and where to find it. We are cruising on FOS in late Aug. and will be going to Labadee, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I know Mexico is famous for it's silver from the Taxco area, but little else. I don't want to go to the big jewelry stores, because I make my jewelry, and it's a little more funky :cool:than 'precious'...:eek:

I'd also like to hear what handmade things others have found to be wonderful, even when they got them home...:rolleyes:. As I said, I like the 'funky' stuff!

thanks,

auntrenae

Have you tried collecting sea glass at the various ports? I ask because we collect daily on our beach, and sell it on -er-a well known auction site on the internet, and it often goes to the States. We sell in aid of our little mediaevil church, which had a tree crash thru' the roof and we all had to look for new ways of raising money. We also buy the jewellry made from it as gifts-from the same unnamed site. Some is wrapped in silver wire; some has been drilled for chains. All is unique. We collected some in Barcelona on a recent cruise, which went to NY. Just a thought!-jocap.

Archived