LGA to Brooklyn Pier - Best Transportation?

time4me2fly

"best" is in the eye somewhat of the beholder.

A NY yellow taxi will cost you about $30 and take 20 minutes you don't have to prearrange them they are waiting but make sure you have the directions because many cabs honestly will not know how to get there(the directions are simple - its the BQE towards Brooklyn to the Atlantic Avenue exit a left at the light at the end of the exit and then the first right follow that around to Bowne Street and make a right into the terminal). Disadvantage is getting on the cab line and the meter will keep clicking if you get stuck in traffic.

A car/limo service you call in advance and they meet you. the advantage is you normally get a nicer car and a driver who hopefully knows how to get you there-sometimes they don't have the directions above just in case. the disadvantage is that it sometimes cost more-although the amount is fixed and traffic doesn't matter- and meeting the car can be a problem(especially if you are late and they don't show). some of the car services want you to call when you have your luggage and then call.

I use Arecibo (7187836465) which will want you to call when you land. Some of the others will monitor the flight but they will definitely cost more. see http://www.carmellimo.com as an example.

I strongly recommend against public mass transit(bus and subway). Its difficult not fast and a lot of changes-no direct way.

Of course the best way is if you have a relative(who you can stand) with a big car who will pick you up and not charge you :)....

"Best" depends on what is important to you. The most convenient and quickest way would like to be with a yellow cab. It's about 12 miles from the airport to the cruise port. The fare is $2.50 flag drop plus $2.00 per mile (there's also some other surcharges you're likely not to encounter). See www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Some people like the assurance that someone specific will be waiting for them at the airport baggage claim. Such car services will also quote a specific fare, regardless of the actual time and miles. In either case you might want to arrange for a car service if you would like that extra step. See www.carmellimo.com

The cheapest way is using public transportation. In this case it will cost you $4.50 per person since it requires two fares to make the journey. Get the Q33 bus at LaGuardia and go to the last stop, 74th Street-Jackson Heights. There board the F train to Jay Street-Borough Hall. Transfer once again to the B61 bus and alight at Van Brunt Street & King Street. It is then a walk of about four blocks. See www.mta.info

The cheapest way is using public transportation. In this case it will cost you $4.50 per person since it requires two fares to make the journey. Get the Q33 bus at LaGuardia and go to the last stop, 74th Street-Jackson Heights. There board the F train to Jay Street-Borough Hall. Transfer once again to the B61 bus and alight at Van Brunt Street & King Street. It is then a walk of about four blocks. See www.mta.info

...no it doesn't if you get a metrocard with at least $4.50 all of new york city is one zone(free transfers) so its only $2.25pp....they sell them at a machine at the airport two people can use one metrocard but I strongly recommend against it...but the walk in entrance to the cruise terminal is at Van Brunt and Pioneer Street...(Actually its at Pioneer and Conover but you walk down from Van Brunt and Pioneer) this will take at least an hour and a half.

...no it doesn't if you get a metrocard with at least $4.50 all of new york city is one zone(free transfers) so its only $2.25pp....they sell them at a machine at the airport two people can use one metrocard but I strongly recommend against it...but the walk in entrance to the cruise terminal is at Van Brunt and Pioneer Street...(Actually its at Pioneer and Conover but you walk down from Van Brunt and Pioneer) this will take at least an hour and a half.

1. I would not strongly recommend against this route. It is reasonably direct and convenient for public transportation. It requires two transfers and should take less than 1.5 hours travel time, plus waiting time (perhaps 2 hours total travel time). If someone wants to use public transportation, and is familiar with the limitations and inconveniences generally found wtih public transportation, then this is a perfectly acceptable trip. If you only have one suitcase, you are reasonably fit, and you're not rushing on account of time, consider public transportation. If you have multiple suitcases, you're not comfortable dragging a suitcase down the sidewalk, or you're short of time, then take a taxi. As several of us have said, there's really not one single "best" answer that works for everyone.

2. While the MTA might have you believe that all of New York City is now a single fare zone, such is not actually the case. A single fare generally buys only two swipes within two hours. This allows for two bus boardings, or one bus boarding and one subway station entrance (with unlimited subway transfers once in the subway system). In this case, the journey from LaGuardia Airport to Red Hook is bus-subway-bus. With a MetroCard in hand at LaGuardia there will be $2.25 deducted on the Q33, free transfer to the F train, then another $2.25 deducted on the B61. Without a MetroCard in hand, the fare is $2.25 in coins only on the Q33, then buy a MetroCard at Jackson Heights, swipe in and have $2.25 deducted, then a free transfer on to the B61. Either way it comes to $4.50. The only legitimate way around paying a double fare is use an unlimited MetroCard.

(There is a less-than-legitimate method that will allow 2 people to make this trip paying a total of 3 fares. Use 3 MetroCards: label them A, B, and C. Both people board the Q33 at LaGuardia Airport, person 1 using MetroCard A and person 2 using MetroCard B, with a total of 2 fares deducted. At Jackson Heights, person 1 uses MetroCard A and receives a free transfer from the Q33, and person 2 uses MetroCard C resulting in a third fare being decucted. Upon boarding the B61, person 1 uses MetroCard B and receives a free transfer from the Q33, and person 2 uses MetroCard C and receives free transfer from the F train.)

3. The only bus stop at Van Brunt Street & Pioneer Street is in the northbound direction, towards downtown Brooklyn. When heading to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from downtown Brooklyn, the bus stops one block past Pioneer Street--at King Street--and passengers have to walk block back to Pioneer Street, turn left, and then walk the equivalent of three blocks to the terminal. Note that this trip requires walking though a pedestrian-only gate at the intersection of Pioneer Street & Conover Street, a gate that is supposed to be open when vessels are in port. If, for some reason, the gate is closed, then one has to walk another six blocks north to Bowne Street, walk through the automobile gate, then walk those same six blocks south on the terminal side of the fence.

Thanks for all the advices.

I'm gonna go with a car service.

I'd rather pay extra money and get to the pier without having to carry luggage around NY on public transportation, which sounds very confusing.

It doesn't sound like taxi drivers really like to drive to the pier, so I'm not going to try that option.

Thanks, again!

Thanks for all the advices.

I'm gonna go with a car service.

I'd rather pay extra money and get to the pier without having to carry luggage around NY on public transportation, which sounds very confusing.

It doesn't sound like taxi drivers really like to drive to the pier, so I'm not going to try that option.

Thanks, again!

good choice!

• 1 year later...

Thanks very much for posting this!

I think this is the route we will take. Do you think it is safe? I have never been to Brooklyn before and what to make sure I am a traget with with my luggage. However, we will be travelling the mid morning.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thank you.

1. I would not strongly recommend against this route. It is reasonably direct and convenient for public transportation. It requires two transfers and should take less than 1.5 hours travel time, plus waiting time (perhaps 2 hours total travel time). If someone wants to use public transportation, and is familiar with the limitations and inconveniences generally found wtih public transportation, then this is a perfectly acceptable trip. If you only have one suitcase, you are reasonably fit, and you're not rushing on account of time, consider public transportation. If you have multiple suitcases, you're not comfortable dragging a suitcase down the sidewalk, or you're short of time, then take a taxi. As several of us have said, there's really not one single "best" answer that works for everyone.

2. While the MTA might have you believe that all of New York City is now a single fare zone, such is not actually the case. A single fare generally buys only two swipes within two hours. This allows for two bus boardings, or one bus boarding and one subway station entrance (with unlimited subway transfers once in the subway system). In this case, the journey from LaGuardia Airport to Red Hook is bus-subway-bus. With a MetroCard in hand at LaGuardia there will be $2.25 deducted on the Q33, free transfer to the F train, then another $2.25 deducted on the B61. Without a MetroCard in hand, the fare is $2.25 in coins only on the Q33, then buy a MetroCard at Jackson Heights, swipe in and have $2.25 deducted, then a free transfer on to the B61. Either way it comes to $4.50. The only legitimate way around paying a double fare is use an unlimited MetroCard.

(There is a less-than-legitimate method that will allow 2 people to make this trip paying a total of 3 fares. Use 3 MetroCards: label them A, B, and C. Both people board the Q33 at LaGuardia Airport, person 1 using MetroCard A and person 2 using MetroCard B, with a total of 2 fares deducted. At Jackson Heights, person 1 uses MetroCard A and receives a free transfer from the Q33, and person 2 uses MetroCard C resulting in a third fare being decucted. Upon boarding the B61, person 1 uses MetroCard B and receives a free transfer from the Q33, and person 2 uses MetroCard C and receives free transfer from the F train.)

3. The only bus stop at Van Brunt Street & Pioneer Street is in the northbound direction, towards downtown Brooklyn. When heading to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from downtown Brooklyn, the bus stops one block past Pioneer Street--at King Street--and passengers have to walk block back to Pioneer Street, turn left, and then walk the equivalent of three blocks to the terminal. Note that this trip requires walking though a pedestrian-only gate at the intersection of Pioneer Street & Conover Street, a gate that is supposed to be open when vessels are in port. If, for some reason, the gate is closed, then one has to walk another six blocks north to Bowne Street, walk through the automobile gate, then walk those same six blocks south on the terminal side of the fence.

Thanks very much for posting this!

I think this is the route we will take. Do you think it is safe? I have never been to Brooklyn before and what to make sure I am a traget with with my luggage. However, we will be travelling the mid morning.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated thank you.

Its generally safe during the day. But if you have never been to NY and have luggage I strongly urge you NOT to do this.

The subway to this point will be safe(I don't live far from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal) but will be a big chore with any significant luggage.

Do you self a big favor and don't start a cruise on the subway bus combo. Take a car service.

I myself rather rarely take the subway. Its just easier for me to drive. But as my wife will tell you I am expect to find a parking space in Manhattan on the street not in a lot.

Please scare the tourist away from the Subway, we'll have less door holding when they ask if this train goes downtown.

I take the subway every day, never saw a fight like that.

Oh and yes to get from LGA to the Brooklyn Pier would require two fares. You only get one transfer within 2 hours and 18 minutes from the first payment of fare with the exception of a few transfer points (Lex On the F walking between that and 4/5/6, Court Square 7 train and E/V/G (unless new transfer is open) the L and B42 and anyone from Staten Island (to/from) and lower Manhattan Subway stations to name a few.

While the Subway/Bus is a fantastic way to get around the city it isn't the way to go to the Brooklyn Pier.

Archived