Questions on formal nights on Victory and a few more

Chloebags

We are doing a stay and cruise in November, and since we are staying in Barbados for a week before our cruise, we join the cruiseship on the Wednesday and not the Sunday (which we have done in the past).

Now my questions are when we board the ship do we board as you normally do after a day excursion or not, if not how do we do it?

Does our luggage go straight to our stateroom, or do we have to wait for it as you normally do?

When are the formal nights on the Victory? Becasue if one is on the Wednesday and we have to wait for our luggage I will handcarry our formal wear on.

I know these may seem like silly questions but we have never joined a cruise half way through the trip, so I am just trying to understand what I am letting myself in for.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice :)

Aren't formal nights usually on "at sea" days as opposed to port days?

Yes, but Victory's Southern Caribbean route has NO sea days! Different port every day!

I believe the formal/elegant nights are the 2nd and 4th nights, but someone will need to verify that.

We are doing a stay and cruise in November, and since we are staying in Barbados for a week before our cruise, we join the cruiseship on the Wednesday and not the Sunday (which we have done in the past).

Now my questions are when we board the ship do we board as you normally do after a day excursion or not, if not how do we do it?

Does our luggage go straight to our stateroom, or do we have to wait for it as you normally do?

When are the formal nights on the Victory? Becasue if one is on the Wednesday and we have to wait for our luggage I will handcarry our formal wear on.

I know these may seem like silly questions but we have never joined a cruise half way through the trip, so I am just trying to understand what I am letting myself in for.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice :)

Formal nights have been eliminated fleetwide a year ago so you can leave that extra luggage home now.

The new word is Elegant night where instead of shorts allowed in the dining room everynight,you must wear pants instead.So for a male, pants and a polo shirt are fine for the Elegant night.

STeve

Formal nights have been eliminated fleetwide a year ago so you can leave that extra luggage home now.

The new word is Elegant night where instead of shorts allowed in the dining room everynight,you must wear pants instead.So for a male, pants and a polo shirt are fine for the Elegant night.

STeve

You must have clicked REPLY on the wrong post. Not sure this is any help to this OP.

OP....we did the Southern route twice, and the dress up nights don't even stand out as being a problem, and we were early, so they must have been stress free!

Enjoy your cruise.

when I was on the Victory in January, the nights we wore our best clothes were Tuesday and Thursday. This was also the night other guests wore their nicest clothes also.

We called it Formal night, but some are very offended by the term Formal night.

Thanks guys.

We call them formal nights over here, it just means smart dress.

So basically Smart, Elegant, Formal are all the same thing, isnt the english language great lol

Anyhow this sort out my question, we dont have to worry about any smart clothing being needed that night we get onboard.

You must have clicked REPLY on the wrong post. Not sure this is any help to this OP.

Nope,you read wrong.

OP asked.....When are the formal nights on the Victory?

There are no more Formal nights is the answer.

Steve

Steveaaaa, Get a new project, PLEASE! :rolleyes:

What are the formal nights (elegant, dress-up, whatever the frig you want to call 'em) on Victory?

This was never nailed down.

Thanks.

Now that I don't comment on tipping threads I needed a new project.:D

Letting new cruisers know that There are no longer any Formal nights is my new project.:)

Steve

Leave the TUX home so you don't stand out!!:p

Hi Gang

Thanks for this thread. I am going on my First Carnival Cruise in November and my TA did not share with me that "Formal" nights had been eliminated fleet wide on CCL.

I would have packed and hauled around a lot of extra clothes had I not known this. Will bring nicer clothes for those nights, but won't be bringing suits, ties and/or Tux wear.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Hi Gang

Thanks for this thread. I am going on my First Carnival Cruise in November and my TA did not share with me that "Formal" nights had been eliminated fleet wide on CCL.

I would have packed and hauled around a lot of extra clothes had I not known this. Will bring nicer clothes for those nights, but won't be bringing suits, ties and/or Tux wear.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Formal night has not been eliminated. They are now called elegant night.

Read here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

We had them last year on the Valor, it was really nice to see people dressing up.

Each to thier own, if you dont want to you dont have to.

For us it is a chance to make an effort as we dont do anything like that over here at home. For me personally I am looking forward to dolling myself up and being girly for a change.

Okay, let me get this straight. Formal nights still exist, they are just called by a different name now?? And, you can opt to wear something more smart casual, or suit/tie, cocktail dress, etc?? I have already planned for two formal (or whatever they are called) nights and have a long formal dress and a silky three piece pants outfit picked out for myself. DH will wear a suit and tie. Will we be overdressed on Victory??? :(

Okay, let me get this straight. Formal nights still exist, they are just called by a different name now?? And, you can opt to wear something more smart casual, or suit/tie, cocktail dress, etc?? I have already planned for two formal (or whatever they are called) nights and have a long formal dress and a silky three piece pants outfit picked out for myself. DH will wear a suit and tie. Will we be overdressed on Victory??? :(

No!

Don't change anything! Carnival relaxed the restrictions to allow people to bring less on flights, BUT you can still dress formal. I will be wearing my black tuxedo on my upcoming Victory cruise. There will be 3 guys in our group and we're all wearing tux's.

Some people are getting their panties in a bunch over the word "formal". To me it will always be formal nights. They call them "elegant" now. Go ahead with your initial plans.

Formal night is gone so there is no longer any need for Formal attire.Without tuxes and ball gowns,there is no longer a need to use the word Formal. The cruiseline now has what they call Elegant night's which is a "Don't wear shorts to dinner night" now since shorts are allowed on all the other nights.

They have turned the dining room into real casual.Here is what you can't wear...........Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats............

so as you can see,everything else goes.Real casual now.

Do I think you both would be overdressed? Just my opinion...you DH would be at the higher end of the dressed scale with the suit and tie,and you would be overdressed with the long Formal dress.

Here's a recent thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1021862

Here's the highlights for you.

Wear what you want.

Just off of Freedom. Wear what you want. DH wore a suit, but next time he'll wear a shirt and tie. Saw everything from tuxes to hawaiian shirts.

off Inspiration today and on formal night there was a man in a Hawaiian Shirt sitting two tables down from us. The dress code was very relaxed - people were just wearing what they wanted to. We were traveling with two teenage boys and other than elegant night they both wore khaki shorts and I think the flip flop kind of shoes that guys are wearing - I don't think I saw hardly any teenage boys really dressed up (unless you call khaki cargo shorts & all those plaid cargo shorts that are in style) dressed up....now with the girls - it was different - girls just seem to dress up or down (however you want to look at it) more than boys - I think my daughter - she is a college student wore a sundress everynight...girls wear them all the time everywhere anyway - at least where I live

Just got off the Freedom....guy had on long sleeve plaid flannel shirt, nylon sports shorts and baseball cap for Formal Night. Last year we had a man wear tank top, shorts, flip flops, baseball cap with sunglases on top and he sat BESIDE THE CAPTAINS TABLE! The Formal night has been lost, and it is really sad

We used to bring 2 formal dresses and suits for the 2 formal nights. Now DH wears a shirt & tie and a nice pair of khaki's or dress pants and I wear a skirt and top.

You decide.

STeve

Not at all! What you will find is a bunch of people still trying to look their best, and then you will see some strange stuff.

Make sure you come back and post your pix!

No!

Don't change anything! Carnival relaxed the restrictions to allow people to bring less on flights, BUT you can still dress formal. I will be wearing my black tuxedo on my upcoming Victory cruise. There will be 3 guys in our group and we're all wearing tux's.

Some people are getting their panties in a bunch over the word "formal". To me it will always be formal nights. They call them "elegant" now. Go ahead with your initial plans.

I agree with you! On my cruises I have noticed no change in people dressing up. You still see men wearing a tux and women in long gowns. Doesn't matter what they call it, Formal or Elegant, people will still be dressed up. Like you, it will always be called formal night to me.

Not at all! What you will find is a bunch of people still trying to look their best, and then you will see some strange stuff.

Make sure you come back and post your pix!

How would you know?:confused:

You have not been on a CCL Caribbean cruise in over 4 years.The dress code was changed only a year ago.

Steve

I agree with you! On my cruises I have noticed no change in people dressing up. You still see men wearing a tux and women in long gowns. Doesn't matter what they call it, Formal or Elegant, people will still be dressed up. Like you, it will always be called formal night to me.

That's exactly what's been posted here over and over. We chose the tux route only a couple of times, but loved the looks we got. It gets lost if EVERYONE wears a tux.

How would you know?:confused:

You have not been on a CCL Caribbean cruise in over 4 years.The dress code was changed only a year ago.

Steve

OK, fine...I know. I was on one last September and most (MOST) people dressed formally or at least wore nice suits (men). The women always dress nicely.

How about this steveaaaaaa; you wear what you want to (whatever your definition of that is) and feel great about it. You obviously have something against MOST people wanting to dress up a couple nights during the cruise. I think it'll be interesting to see who looks out of place. :p

No!

Cigar Dude,

We still "dress" for formal/elegant nights, however, husband now wears

suit and tie instead of tux.

On our cruise on the Victory in March this year we did notice that MANY

cruisers wore casual clothing ie; dockers, polo shirts, sundresses etc.

This cruise seemed to be very casual, moreso than others. That being

said we still "dressed" and did not feel out of place.

Formal or elegant to me are the same. Each to his own.:)

Victory "dress up" night or whatever you want to call it is Tue & Thur. Two weeks ago most everyone was very formal - gowns, tux. Past guest party is Friday and most dressed up for that also.

Mrsosci.

Archived