I'm Willing to Try It!!! ESCARGOT

tjeanty

On our cruise in June my uncle decided to have escargot. The waiter asked him how many he wanted and he said 3 thinking he would get 3 snails. Well, he ate the first plate a little confused that there were 6 on the plate and what do you know here caomes the waiter with a whole plate full. Well by the time he finished the third plate :eek: he looked a little green. We told him he should have sent them back but with my aunt making comments about how it was his own fault as she had told him not to order them and laughing at him he ate them all! I think they tried to crawl away with him that night as they seemed to be running around in his stomach. I don't think he will order them on our cruise next year though! :D

Brenda, Sushi is not raw fish, it's smoked salmon and tuna. Sashimi is raw fish, just an FYI. And the sushi on Carnival was very good, you should try it!!! Escargot was sorta like mushrooms in garlic butter, that kinda consistancy, very nice actually.

Cheers, Carole

In a general sense, that is not true. Sushi refers to the RICE and can be made with raw fish, cooked (or cured) fish, vegetables, or even egg. On Carnival, they don't serve any fish raw - only cooked or cured - so in that sense, you are right. I absolutely love sushi but I have no interest in Carnival's, as I want the fish to be raw.

You know...I've never had sushi...always been afraid to try! (but I've had escargot...go figure!) Think I'm going to have to take the plunge and try it on this upcoming cruise!

Be aware that your feelings about Carnival sushi may not correlate to other sushi. If you like Carnival's you may not like other sushi or vice versa...

In a general sense, that is not true. Sushi refers to the RICE and can be made with raw fish, cooked (or cured) fish, vegetables, or even egg. On Carnival, they don't serve any fish raw - only cooked or cured - so in that sense, you are right. I absolutely love sushi but I have no interest in Carnival's, as I want the fish to be raw.

Be aware that your feelings about Carnival sushi may not correlate to other sushi. If you like Carnival's you may not like other sushi or vice versa...

Disney has good sushi but I do think they go overboard on their character placement.

nemo1.jpg

GASP! How can you not like duck? For shame. Duck is one of my favorite foods.

Could never eat duck...I had pet ducks growing up...Everytime the Avon lady would come to our house...all she talked about was "cooking and eating my ducks"!:eek: I cried everytime she came to the door...It's a wonder I'm not scarred for life!

Now this is a subject that I love. On my first cruise I was one year post Bariatric

surgery. I had never tried Lamb, Escargot, or Shepards pie. Of everything that I tried on the Monarch the Escargot was to live to sail for. On my 2nd cruise I tried the Supper club, I loved it, but my Friends did not. So to everyone that is willing to try something new, I say go for it, as I will be the only one at my table eating the Escargot and loving every bite and drop of that wonderful treat :D

TRY IT, there will be someone at your table who will take care of the escargot if you don't like them, (You can mail them to me)

Would that be "snail mail"?:D

Well folks, I'm sitting here at ten minutes to 1 (AM) reading and writing about snails on a cruise ship...

I took a quick tally, 39 yea and nine nay. WOW!

I did try the escargot on our Legend cruise after my 18 year old son ordered them. I was SO proud of him for not being afraid to try them. I kept telling him how cool I thought that was. Then the unthinkable happened... he put his fork in one and passed it over to me. What could I do???? I had to try it! I was afraid I would puke but I did it (obviously I was going into this with the wrong mindset. Now you're probably wondering if I liked it. The nays are now 10. I hated it. It felt just like I had imagined it going down my throat, thick and slimy with an earthy flavor. Eww - . :p

That being said I am glad I did it. Good Luck!

mel

I've always loved them and on a DCL cruise my 10 and 12 year old wanted to give them a try. They fell in love with them. For that matter they both love trying exotic foods. I guess we're lucky in that sense. If you like steamed clams (yes my kids love those too) I think you'll like the escargot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it!

HELLO ALL,

I have NEVER tried escargot, and am really skeptic too. Everyone describes it as slimy, and sort of gamey. Well, I said to my SO, we are going on this fantastic cruise, and I should just get out of my comfort zone and try it. Besides, if I don't like it, I can just order something else.

Anywho, I just thought I'd share that...sailing Carnival Victory 7/26/09!!!

It's not gamey...usually they cook it in so much garlic, that's all you can taste.

I was hesitant to try them at first but discovered that I like them.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

OMG.... you are gonna love them!!!!!! It was so funny the first time I tried them. My sister ordered me a marguerita, then another, then the escargot. I was so toasted I didn't care.

LOL...I was a bit toasted when I tried them the first time too.

:D

It helps getting over the initial repulsion of the thought of eating a snail. Then again, eating lobster is nothing more than eating a large, sea cockroach...so what the heck. :p

Oh, and I love mushrooms as well, but I feel there is NO resemblance to the two at all.

Archived