Need advice for Warnemunde

momva

My family of 3 (husband, 8 yr old son, and me) will be in Warnemunde on Tues, August 11 on the Constellation. This is the one port that I just can't figure out what to do. So many wonderful choices. Perhaps someone here can offer advice. We don't want to take the long train to Berlin. We hope to do a land-based trip sometime in the near future when we can spend more time there. Schwerin seems a lovely option, especially with the garden festival. My husband is a bit of a gardening aficionado. Wismar seems lovely, too. But renting a bike and exploring Warnemunde and the neighboring countryside is also appealing. Whatever we decide, I want to "experience Germany" with little to no stress. Any suggestions?

Just back from our Baltic cruise on the Rotterdam. We didn't want to spend all that time getting to/from Berlin, so opted for our own time. We took the train to Rostock and poked around. Lovely church and walking areas. Very reasonable fare. Loved the bakery in the Rostock train station and enjoyed the treats on the way back. Then, spent time in Warnemunde. Much bigger than I had anticipated. Fun to stroll and see the Germans at play. I'm sure your family would enjoy time here.

I too just returned. On the Oceania Regatta. We took the train to Rostock then returned to Warnemunde where we walked along the "boardwalk" as I call it just people watching etc. We were a bit mobility impaired so didn't make it all the way down to the beach but we had a wonderful time watching the kids and families. It was one of our most enjoyable days on this 14 day busy trip. As you get off the train and turn left there is a wonderful place that sells Bratwurst on your right. It was about 9 inches long and very good!!

You may want to check out Friends of Daves Tours for Warnemunde. We sailed with them on our May sailing and had so much fun. We did not go on their tour, my DH wanted to see Berlin. I know that the ones that did go had a great time. If we get back their again I will go with them next time. http://http://sites.google.com/site/friendsofdavetours/

Nospringchick - thanks for the suggestion. Your link did not work but I found their website from another post. Unfortunately, their calendar states they are fully booked our day in Germany.

I am leaning a little toward visiting Schwerin in the morning and spending the afternoon/evening in Warnemunde soaking in the local culture.

Bratwurst sounds great but I would love to find some good wiener schnitzel. (sorry if I spelled that wrong) Any suggestions for a good place to find good German food.

You may want to check out Friends of Daves Tours for Warnemunde. We sailed with them on our May sailing and had so much fun. We did not go on their tour, my DH wanted to see Berlin. I know that the ones that did go had a great time. If we get back their again I will go with them next time. http://http://sites.google.com/site/friendsofdavetours/

Please use this link

http://sites.google.com/site/friendsofdavetours/Home

I guess he is doing a good job.

We docked in Warnemunde during our 6/27-7/9 cruise. We took a small ferry straight from the dock to Rostock, did a walking tour on our own and lunch, caught the ferry back back to W'munde around 3, and strolled all around there until about 8 or so. Had a great time in both places.

We took the train to Schwerin (via Rostock). We spent the day there and had the opportunity to visit five of the seven gardens. Had a wonderful wonderful time. I also wanted to "experience Germany" and since hubby and I were on our own that's exactly what we did (with Heinbloed's kind assistance before we left... pictures and instructions on how to purchase train/tram tickets as everything is automated over there).

Don't forget to try the currywurst at the wurst stand just outside the tunnel to the Warnemunde train station!

• 7 months later...
We docked in Warnemunde during our 6/27-7/9 cruise. We took a small ferry straight from the dock to Rostock, did a walking tour on our own and lunch, caught the ferry back back to W'munde around 3, and strolled all around there until about 8 or so. Had a great time in both places.

How much time does it take for the ferry to reach Rostock?

How much time does it take to get to Rostock on the Train?

Thanks.

The ferry ride isn't an exciting trip but it is a nice way to just relax, have a nice German brew (if wanted) and enjoy the fresh air. It isn't a very picturesque ride, but, it is enjoyable.

Tip--Don't know if anyone is interested or if they still do this. We had a beer on the ferry and liked the nice glass mug they gave it to you in. It was a plain tall glass mug with the gold emblem of ROSTOCK on it. I asked if I could buy a couple and they said sure, Sold them to me for 2 euro's each and made terrific souvenirs.

Enjoyed the beer also LOL

Cheers

Len

The ferry ride isn't an exciting trip but it is a nice way to just relax, have a nice German brew (if wanted) and enjoy the fresh air. It isn't a very picturesque ride, but, it is enjoyable.

Tip--Don't know if anyone is interested or if they still do this. We had a beer on the ferry and liked the nice glass mug they gave it to you in. It was a plain tall glass mug with the gold emblem of ROSTOCK on it. I asked if I could buy a couple and they said sure, Sold them to me for 2 euro's each and made terrific souvenirs.

Enjoyed the beer also LOL

Cheers

Len

If you arrive at Stadthafen (the Rostock berth) by the boat from Warnemünde:

Take a turn to the right. On the waterfront you find this

http://www.alter-fritz.de/de/gasthaeuser/rostock/index.html

It's a brewery inn called Zum Alten Fritz.

There you get freshly brewed beer.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived