Gold Panning

mdhbeh_11993

Curious to find out if there is gold panning within walking distance either in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? Also, curious as to whether you could pay for just the kids and have the adults watch as it is a bit pricey and probably not really worth it for the adults.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of the gold panning places are very touristy. However, visitors and residents alike sometimes find real gold nuggets in steam beds, along hiking tails and even in gravel parking lots.

Such is 'finders keepers'. Put your children to work to find real gold. The melt water coming down the mountains brings new hope each year for finding nuggets. I don't mean McNuggets either!

Tell the children to keep your secret and not to tell anyone else what they are doing. In my family we have a secret code word when someone spots something of value.

Good luck!

We did gold panning in Skagway at Gold Dredge & thought it was the biggest rip off, but the kids really enjoyed it. It was $20 pp & the kids did it while we watched. They all found specks of gold which was worth from

$8 to $14 (they weigh it). It wasn't walking distance from the cruise. We had Chilkoot Tours drop us off after our tour from Fraser. They have some kind of shuttle bus from town to take you. I believe it $5 pp, not sure round trip or each way. I believe Juneau has gold panning as well.

Archived