NCL Jewel balcony room

cleo656

My mom uses a four-pronged cane to get around, this will be ok for the ship, but I'm going to rent a transport wheelchair for her when we go out on port days. I was thinking that the times we don't need the wheelchair I could put it out on the balcony, plus we would have an extra place to sit as there is 3 of us going. I thought I could bring some bungee type cords to anchor it or in case it's real windy or wavy I would just fold it up and lay in down on the floor.

Do you think this will work? Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Pat

First of all, I would not get a transport chair. Transport chairs have 4 small wheels. They transfer uneven pavement directly to the person seated in the chair. I call them teeth rattlers. They are OK in an airport or nursing home where the floors are even but OUCH anywhere else. Also, they are difficult to push on carpet - my DH said NEVER AGAIN the one time he tried to push one. Also, the person seated in the chair cannot move themselves independently. A standard wheelchair which has larger rear wheels allows the person who is seated in it to move themselves. I would recommend that you rent or purchase a standard collapsable wheelchair. You can many times find them reasonably priced in the classifieds of a local paper.

I would not put the chair on the balcony. It is metal and I imagine it will rust quickly.

My mom uses a four-pronged cane to get around, this will be ok for the ship, but I'm going to rent a transport wheelchair for her when we go out on port days. I was thinking that the times we don't need the wheelchair I could put it out on the balcony, plus we would have an extra place to sit as there is 3 of us going. I thought I could bring some bungee type cords to anchor it or in case it's real windy or wavy I would just fold it up and lay in down on the floor.

Do you think this will work? Has anyone ever done this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Pat

Does the transport chair fold? Otherwise you 'll not be able to get it through your cabin door, and it's against the rules to leave it in the hallway (although many people do, and the cruise lines will ignore it sometimes).

You really might be better renting a collapsible manual wheelchair. They definitely will fold, and are MUCH easier to push than a manual chair, particularly on carpeting and rough pavement, which you'll encounter when you're out and about on excursions.

If she needs it on excursions she may also find it really handy to have getting around the ship. Some of the distances from cabin to dining hall, or anywhere else on the ship, can be VERY long and very tiring.

Presumably she'll get around the cabin using her cane? The next time you all plan a cruise you might consider getting a handicap-accessible cabin. A wheelchair will definitely fit in there, and she'll have a much easier time using the bathroom --no threshhold to step over, drop-down shower seats, more grab bars, more space in general, for her, you, and whoever else is going with you!

I use a wheelchair full-time. The Jewel has some lovely handicap-accessible rooms (although the one we were in would not have accommodated 4 persons, but three.

Pat

Agree with the others that a transport chair does not have the stability as one with larger wheels. For the money it's going to cost to rent a wheelchair , one can purchased on line for less than the rental fee. Check this one out on 1800wheelchair.com. http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view-product.asp?product_id=2492

Thank you Katisdale and Uppidtycats for your replies. I have looked into the handicapped rooms and some are available, but I didn't want to use them incase someone who is in a wheelchair full time would need it.

Yep I forgot about how there could be a lot of mist in the air, probably wouldn't be good for it.

Didn't realize that the transport chairs would be so hard to manuvear.

Thank you

Pat

Thank you Katisdale and Uppidtycats for your replies. I have looked into the handicapped rooms and some are available, but I didn't want to use them incase someone who is in a wheelchair full time would need it.

Yep I forgot about how there could be a lot of mist in the air, probably wouldn't be good for it.

Didn't realize that the transport chairs would be so hard to manuvear.

Thank you

Pat

Please do not think that the handicap accessible rooms are only for people who use wheelchairs full time! There are lots of valid reasons to book one of those rooms, and your mother certainly fits the criteria! Yes, transport chairs are very hard to maneuver, and the person stuck in one really doesn't have the ability to control it at all herself. If you end up renting a chair anyway, do consider a regular manual wheelchair. Or if you look in your local paper, or on Craigslist, you often can find one for well less than $100, and it would suit your purposes just fine, for now!

Archived