Fjords excursions

lisabeebee

We are travelling on Oriana (cruise X914) on 23 August 09 to the Norwegian Fjords. The excursions seem to be quite expensive (2 adults and 2 teenagers who count as adults!) so we were considering trying to go it alone. We would appreciate any help or suggestions, particularly regarding the 'Troll' trains to both Voringsfoss waterfall from Eidfjord, and to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden. I have found phone numbers to book both but would prefer to know they are reliable first, particularly as it is quite late in the season. Thankyou.

We are travelling on Oriana (cruise X914) on 23 August 09 to the Norwegian Fjords. The excursions seem to be quite expensive (2 adults and 2 teenagers who count as adults!) so we were considering trying to go it alone. We would appreciate any help or suggestions, particularly regarding the 'Troll' trains to both Voringsfoss waterfall from Eidfjord, and to the Briksdal Glacier from Olden. I have found phone numbers to book both but would prefer to know they are reliable first, particularly as it is quite late in the season. Thankyou.

Will get the wife to answer this one, as she's just come off Oceana (okay, Oceana wasn't that late back into Southampton yesterday!).

From what I gather, there's loads you can do independently, and yes save you loads.

Scrozuk

p.s. still unloading camera cards and scanning photos..

I'm going to the fjords for the 1st time too -a few days after you 29th August on Oceana.

Have been researching the tours which have been online to book for weeks now, and as some sell out like Pulpit Rock, i have booked two, very annoyed about not getting a tours brochure (did you get one?)

Go to the p&o cruise community chat site on pocruises.co.uk and in destinations and other sections are plenty of advice about fjords trips and how to DIY some. For example Bergen is easy to DIY,you can get the train yourself from the station nearby and afterward the shops and cafes are very near the ship. VERY expensive there though - 1pint beer and a 1/2pint beer =£16

Found this for you:

Briksdal Glacier DIY

''. When we arrived at Olden we went into the tourist info office opposite the ship, the lady there spoke fantastic english and was very helpful. There was a taxi waiting outside to be filled (approx 18 people) with anyone interested in going to the Glacier. It cost us 200Krone return each. Once the taxi was almost full we left, took about 20mins to reach the car park where we were dropped off and told that he would be back in 2 hours to collect us, which he did. It was well worth it and cheaper than the excursion fee.''

Very approx 10 kroner to the £ so approx £20 each return - pando trip is £49pp

Another comment was...

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE IT TOO LATE IF GETTING A TAXI BACK TO THE SHIP, IT WAS VERY BUSY ON THE RETURN TAXI RANK, the girls in the gift shop and cafe at the glacier was not helpful in wanting to phone for taxis.

With a Pando Tour the ship will always wait for the coach, go DIY , get back late and you have the expense of getting to the next port of call...

That's very useful information, thanks. Think we should be ok in Bergen, researched cost of funicular railway etc and don't think an excursion will be necessary at all. I was more worried about local provisions for transport to get to the glacier and waterfall. There are 'Troll' trains (they sound like the type of open, slow moving road vehicles they use in tourist resorts) that go to the big tourist destinations,and the one to Briksdal Glacier runs from Olden until mid October (cost NOK170 adults, NOK85 child age 7-14), and is said to take 1hr 30 mins for the return trip (call +47 57 87 68 05 to book). The train from Eidfjord to Voringsfoss waterfall however only runs by prior arrangement in late August. I am tempted to try to book but I'm a little nervous of relying on these without recommendations in case of delays. It's always nice to have alternatives and feel a little better knowing there will be taxis about if necessary. Again, thanks for the help and hope you have a lovely holiday.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Found this for you:

Briksdal Glacier DIY

''. When we arrived at Olden we went into the tourist info office opposite the ship, the lady there spoke fantastic english and was very helpful. There was a taxi waiting outside to be filled (approx 18 people) with anyone interested in going to the Glacier. It cost us 200Krone return each. Once the taxi was almost full we left, took about 20mins to reach the car park where we were dropped off and told that he would be back in 2 hours to collect us, which he did. It was well worth it and cheaper than the excursion fee.''

Very approx 10 kroner to the £ so approx £20 each return - pando trip is £49pp

Another comment was...

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE IT TOO LATE IF GETTING A TAXI BACK TO THE SHIP, IT WAS VERY BUSY ON THE RETURN TAXI RANK, the girls in the gift shop and cafe at the glacier was not helpful in wanting to phone for taxis.

With a Pando Tour the ship will always wait for the coach, go DIY , get back late and you have the expense of getting to the next port of call...

Was the two hour return by the taxi driver enough time without rushing. Do you pay taxi driver in full or there and back?

Hi. We have just come back from a fantastic 2 week cruise to the North Cape and stopped at Edjford. We went to the tourist information centre to buy tickets for the troll train to Voringfoss only to be told that when Cruise Ships are in port the troll train does not go to the Waterfall. There was an alternative mini bus costing 200 Kroner which took you there for a three quarters of an hour stay including complimentary cup of tea/coffee. We arrived just as a P & O trip was leaving which was really good as we had loads of space to take photos and drink our refreshments. I would imagine that it could get quite busy with all the coach trips arriving together. I think the price of the P & O trip was twice as much but did visit someother attraction.

My friend went to Flamm on Arcadia a few weeks ago and was going to DIY the railway, when she went to the train station she was unable to book tickets atall as all seats had been pre-sold to cruise ship tours..... so sometimes it is best to do a ship tour to ensure you are going to get on the limited seats on the trains etc...

I'm doing 2 tours out of 4 ports for the best of both worlds.

Hi. We have just come back from a fantastic 2 week cruise to the North Cape and stopped at Edjford. We went to the tourist information centre to buy tickets for the troll train to Voringfoss only to be told that when Cruise Ships are in port the troll train does not go to the Waterfall. There was an alternative mini bus costing 200 Kroner which took you there for a three quarters of an hour stay including complimentary cup of tea/coffee. We arrived just as a P & O trip was leaving which was really good as we had loads of space to take photos and drink our refreshments. I would imagine that it could get quite busy with all the coach trips arriving together. I think the price of the P & O trip was twice as much but did visit someother attraction.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated, this sounds a very easy alternative to the P&O excursion, will head for the tourist information office when we disembark the ship. Thanks again.

My friend went to Flamm on Arcadia a few weeks ago and was going to DIY the railway, when she went to the train station she was unable to book tickets atall as all seats had been pre-sold to cruise ship tours..... so sometimes it is best to do a ship tour to ensure you are going to get on the limited seats on the trains etc...

I'm doing 2 tours out of 4 ports for the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the advice, again very useful to know. We're not going to Flamm (unfortunetly) this trip, but I'm sure this advice will be relevant to other ports of call too. May book excursions once we join the ship if there are any places left, but will wait and see. Thanks again.

Archived