Tequila

HillTopperCruiser

Hilltopper,

When are you going? I know the place to go, but don't have the exact name. I'm a budding tequila aficianado. There are several places around town to find good or better tequila. Most are geared towards tourists and sell at prices you pay here in the states. Often the best buys are at off the wall spots you stumble across. I was there in May for 12 days and here is what I stumbled across. On the main waterfront street(Melgar) near to the center of town there is a McDonalds. Any cab driver can find it for you. Micky D's is upstairs on the second floor. Downstairs below are several stores. A couple of doors south(to the right) below Micky's there is a big curio / tee shirt shop.(The name of which I'll try to find out) What you don't see beyond the tee shirts and straw hats is the wall of tequila all the way in the back(It's a deep store) I know for a fact they have Clase Azul Reposado because I held it in my hand. They have 750ml for if I remeber correctly was ~$57 us. They also had 375ml for ~$30. They had a good selection ie Family Reserve, Casa Noble ect. This was the best option for the money I was able to find on the island, and I looked.

If you want to see something unique there is another "tourist" type store a couple of blocks away. You walk North till you reach "Salas" st. It is a one way heading east. One block in is Avenida 5. There are tequila stores on opposite corners of the intersection. Neither is cheap, but the one on the Northeast corner has a bottle of the Clase Azul extra Anejo for ~a couple of grand $$$$$$$? They also had a Mangnum size Clase Azul Reposado for $600 ish If I remember right. That thing was like 3 feet tall. Very impressive.

PS - You may get a better deal if you pay in pesos. Ask for the pesos price. If they convert at 10:1 you are much better off paying in pesos which currently trade at 13.5 : 1.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Rich

I do not know if it is the same place Rich is speaking of, but the shop where we bought our Milagro had a lot of tequilas and they were way in the back. At first I thought it was just a typical gift shop, I was looking for magnets. Dh bee-lined it to the back and there was so many tequilas. He wound up buying a numbered bottle of Milagro inside of a protective case and is called a cactus bottle for $45 and on the ship it was $55 and a lot more here back at home in Texas, $74 at local place. IF this is the same place as Rich is speaking, I am looking at my receipt and honestly, I can't tell what the name is, but I know how to find it on our cruise next July. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Try the Tequila International, located in the two story shopping mall down town. they have hundreds of different kinds and brands of tequila. They also on occasion will have open tasting where you kind sample tons of the stuff. We are going on the Liberty in October. This will be my wy wifeand mine fourth trip to Cozumel. I love cozumel. Hope this helps.

Liberty Oct.'09

Holiday Nov. '08

HolidayFeb. '08

Sensation 2007

Holaday 2006

• 2 months later...

You all talk about buying crappy tequila in fancy bottles like Milagro (used to shine my pennies and belt buckles) and Clase Azul (just a fancy bottle with average juice inside)... Are there any real treasures to be found here like older labeled Chinaco, original Porfidio's, El Tesoro/Tapatio, Siete Leguas D'Antano???

Archived