Newbie trying to decide between Norwegian Pearl and Celebrity Solstice

curlimommy

Please help! We have never cruised before and I'm looking for some input on what ship would best suit us. My husband and I are soon to be 30 and are looking for some rest and relaxation. This will be our first trip away from our baby and want to make it very relaxing. I'd love to hear input from people who have cruised both ships with key differences, and pros/cons of both. Thanks!

First, wlecome to cruise critic.com! This is the place to come when you have questions.

It's not just the difference in the particular ships that need to be compared, but the cruise lines overall.

Where are you going and for how long (I checked the itineraries and they are multiple)? prices looked very good $699 inside, $849 ocean view & $999 balcony for Caribbean 7 nighters.

Do you like to dress up for dinner or not?

Celebrity will have two formal nights during the week, and dressy casual the rest of the week at dinner. During the day anything goes mostly, just like on any cruise line.

Do you like really elegant dinners?

Celebrity has European style dinners with the extra utensils and glasses. Gloved waiters, a wine steward for your section of the dining room who will recommend if you like.

Do you want healthy meals? Solstice has an Aqua Spa Cafe outside the Thalossotherapy Pool. Very interesting food.

I imagine you've already done some homework, but in case not, here are some links.

For photos: http://celebritysolstice.com/?ProspectID=1E77785566D24010A16E874AA63CE1A7&SRC=PGI304353#/gallery/

Here's a link for Pearl: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/shipInformation.html?shipCode=PEARL

Norwegian is known for its freestyle cruising idea where you don't have to dress up if you don't want to, and can eat at any time (during regular service hours, that is) and with whom you want.

Both lines have surcharge, specialty restaurants. Both would give you wonderful service. I know I'd be happy on either one.

Standard cabins may be slightly larger on Solstice.

My DH does not like to dress up, so when he cruises with me, we do NCL. When my daughter goes with me, we usually choose X because she does like to dress up.

My first cruises were on Celebrity and I chose that line because of the food preparation/presentation reputation and was not disappointed. You do have an assigned table and time to eat each night, however. If you want to be just with your spouse, request a table for two. Otherwise you'll be asked if you want a 4, 6, 8 or larger person table.

I have read that X is going to experiment with their own version of any time dining. Don't know if that will extend to Solstice or not.

Advice. 1) Check to see if either ship has to tender in to ports rather than docking. That can be a time consumer. 2) read as many reviews of both ships on the same itinerary as you can find, for the same time of year, too. You will pick up all kinds of tips there and on the Celebrity and Norweigian boards.

i know you'll enjoy either one. But you must be leaning toward one or the other or you wouldn't have posted your indecision. Let us know which you select and why. Bon voyage

Celebrity on cruises longer than a week tends to get an older crowd, while NCL does somewhat too it still tends to get a younger one than X(Celebrity).

I agree with Flashdog above it depends on you as well.

I have done both and prefer NCL for freestyle a much more relaxed way of cruising yet I have an X schedule for its better itinerary.

Wow, thanks so much for the detailed response. I'm leaning toward Celebrity in the Aqua Class, but not 100% yet.

I didn't even know about the "tender" issue. I'll have to look into that now.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again. We do like to dress up but it isn't a necessity at all.

First - CONGRATS on your new baby!

You have two GREAT choices there - and two different ways of cruising! :)

I've cruised on both and I'll agree with everyone else that NCL is more casual - Celebrity a little more "elegant" and since it's your first trip away from the baby - you could make it elegant and romantic - you'll be spoiled on the Solstice!!!

On the other hand - having just had a baby - you might not want to be tied to a schedule! So - that's where the Freestyle way of dining with NCL might be preferable.

Either way you'll have a fabulous time!!!

Archived