Shopping for Guayaberas in Merida

Texas-Ben

Anyone with any information on the best place to buy some good quality guayaberas, panama hats (tight weave), hammocks and baskets in Merida?

Also I will be in Merida mid-day on a Tuesday and wonder when La Tradicion is open?

Thanks!

Ben

Ben checkout the Mercado (very big) which is about two blocks from the Merida bus terminal for the Guayaberas and also the panama hats. Good fine weaves can run $80-90 or more. The Mercado also has hammocks and just about everything the local residents will need. Try the turkey tacos at the small stands. Delish. Also try Guayabera Jack on Calle 59 between Calle 60 & 62. You might want to try lunch at "Portico El Perigrino's" on Calle 57 between Calle 60 & 62. Very good and pretty courtyard restaurant.

BTW. I have a website for ordering Panama hats of various grades in Ecuadore if needed.

John,

Thanks for the info. I had heard of Guayabera Jack so that is now on the itenerary! Turkey tacos? :confused: OK, I'll give them a try. :D

If you can post the link for the hats here that would be great or, if you still have my email address, you can send it directly if posting it here is not good form! I understand the tight weave hats never lose their shape, even when rolled up and packed for the trip home. I already have mine but I thought buying one in Merida would be fun for DW.

Thanks again!

Ben. A note about the heat that someone just posted. Probably not much different than summer at your home. I'm not familiar with the restaurant you asked about. There are so many good ones even in rural areas. Portico El Perigrinos is excellent and I've eaten there five or six times. Convenient location too. Try the Pollo Pobile. Not texmex.

Here's that Panama Hat link. Interesting. Sign up for the free hat drawing.

http://panamahatsdirect.com/

When do you go?

John

John,

We leave on 9/12 and will be in Merida on 9/14. I was going to try and see Merida and go to DZ ruins, but it is a vacation so I decided to slow it down and enjoy getting to see Merida without feeling rushed to move on.

Just got my cabin assignment and was upgraded for 6A to 6D so now we are on the Empress Deck. First time I ever tried the Guaranteed Ocean View route and it worked out very well.

If everything falls into place I would like to try to take a land trip to the Yucatan in October and see more of the area at a more relaxed pace. Uxmal is high on my list and the Flycatcher Inn info you sent looks like a must do while there. Flights to Cancun are far cheaper from DFW or Houston than to Merida. Is that a reasonable way to get to the Yucatan or is it too far and a waste of time?

As for the heat, it has been oppressive here in North Texas until Sunday when it cooled off to the mid 90s. Pretty bad when 95 is a cold front! Low 90s today and high 80s tomorrow along with some much needed RAIN!:D

Thanks again for the photos and all the info.

Ben

Ben, for your land trip, try to aim at the end of Oct into early Nov. I think November first is the highth of the "Day of the Dead" festival. Lots to see and do and very interesting. In el centro, they set up lots of shrines to the dearly departed inviting them back for a visit. Very festive and not at all depressing. Actually, more of a celebration of life. Parades and entertainment at night. Just checked and Nov 1st coincides with the weekly street fair.

Maybe Yucatan Today will comment further?

I too am considering a flight to Cancun instead of Merida. It's a four hour bus ride for about $40 US but saves a couple of hundred.

If you stay at the Flycatcher, take a drive over to Ticul in the AM and visit the market. Good place to pickup ladies sandles. They produce lots of them there and also the red clay pots. Probably the major industries of the area.

Ben. I forgot to remind you to pick up a print copy of Yucatan Today when you arrive in Progreso. Lots of useful information and maps. And take it home to help with your land vacation planning.

John

• 3 weeks later...

In Progreso, I would check in town away from the more touristy area. In other words, where the local residents would shop for their's. Of the six I have, 5 bght in Merida and one in Campeche.

Archived