Scuba Diving-Mexican Riviera

amachad

Puerto Vallarta diving is so so. Cabo is better. Do not expect the corals, sponges and fans you see in the Caribbean. The Sea of Cortez is about the fish and marine mammals.

We are diving in Cabo in the middle of August. We have used Manta in the past however both times we have had issues. This time we are using Baja Dive Charter. We have booked a private dive so we do not have to dive Lands End and Pelican Rock - been there done that too many times. These 2 locations are close to the cruise ships. We prefer Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove.

I would have to look at my dive log to see who we used in Puerto Vallarta. The operation was good but we would not dive there again. It just was not that interesting.

We are diving in Cabo in the middle of August. We have used Manta in the past however both times we have had issues. This time we are using Baja Dive Charter. We have booked a private dive so we do not have to dive Lands End and Pelican Rock - been there done that too many times. These 2 locations are close to the cruise ships. We prefer Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove.

Can you elaborate about Pelican Rock and Lands End (where most ops seem to go) vs Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove?

I would have to look at my dive log to see who we used in Puerto Vallarta. The operation was good but we would not dive there again. It just was not that interesting.

Please let us know which op, and why it was not that good.

Thanks.

The visibility and dive sites in Puerto Vallarta are not very exciting. The fish are pretty but you are pretty much diving around rocks with decent but not great visibility.

Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove are in San Jose Del Cabo. They are in the Sea of Cortez. There is more to see. The diving is more enjoyable. The dive ops who insist on taking you to Pelican Rock and Lands End want your money. It is not about enjoying the dive. A dive op who is willing to take cruise ship divers to other dive sites in the area are more interested in giving you the optimum dive experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there,

I am curious about diving all along the mexican riviera from a cruise ship. Most likely the NCL Sun in early october. Sea of Cortez is on the itenerary too... any information about la paz and topolobampo would be greatly valued.

C

La Paz is an excellent place to dive. There are 2 excellent dive ops - Cortez Club and Fun Baja. Cortez Club is closer to where the ship docks. . Both ops will take you to Los Elotes - the sea lion colony. It is a really fun dive. Water temps should be warm in Oct. You will have a great time!

The visibility and dive sites in Puerto Vallarta are not very exciting. The fish are pretty but you are pretty much diving around rocks with decent but not great visibility.

Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove are in San Jose Del Cabo. They are in the Sea of Cortez. There is more to see. The diving is more enjoyable. The dive ops who insist on taking you to Pelican Rock and Lands End want your money. It is not about enjoying the dive. A dive op who is willing to take cruise ship divers to other dive sites in the area are more interested in giving you the optimum dive experience.

Santa Maria and Chileno Bay are listed are more expensive dive sites, if they go there.

So I guess the dive op would go if all the divers are willing to pay more to go further away. We have limited time on shore, in Cabo only from 7-3 (meaning 2:30 to be back on ship), with the dive boat going out at 9am, wonder if it will be too risky to go further away.

Santa Maria and Chileno Bay are listed are more expensive dive sites, if they go there.

So I guess the dive op would go if all the divers are willing to pay more to go further away. We have limited time on shore, in Cabo only from 7-3 (meaning 2:30 to be back on ship), with the dive boat going out at 9am, wonder if it will be too risky to go further away.[/quote

Lands End and Pelican Rock are ok sites if you have not been there before. We cruise to Cabo, timeshare in Cabo and take trips to Cabo. Once you have been to those sites it is a waste of money to dive there again. Have a good time. Manta will definately get you back in time for your departure. Many people like them.

Lands End and Pelican Rock are ok sites if you have not been there before. We cruise to Cabo, timeshare in Cabo and take trips to Cabo. Once you have been to those sites it is a waste of money to dive there again. Have a good time. Manta will definately get you back in time for your departure. Many people like them.

There's a picture of the arches that's usually shown for Cabo. Do you know if that's at one of these 2 sites? Thanks.

There's a picture of the arches that's usually shown for Cabo. Do you know if that's at one of these 2 sites? Thanks.

Yes, that is Land's End. There is a sea lion colony there. Note - there is a lot of surge in this location. The Pacific meets the Sea of Cortez in this area. Also, the salinity of the water is very high.

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

You mentioned "Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove are in San Jose Del Cabo." What cities / ports of call are these close to?

Thanks,

C

P.S. I noticed or think you just got back from a cruise... Where and with whom did you dive?

Hello again,

You mentioned "Chelleno Bay and Santa Maria Cove are in San Jose Del Cabo." What cities / ports of call are these close to?

Thanks,

C

P.S. I noticed or think you just got back from a cruise... Where and with whom did you dive?

Those sites are in Cabo - closer to the airport. We dove with Sunshine Dive Charter. Had a private dive with Lars the owner. I highly recommend them. He will take you on a very nice dive. You will not regret booking with him. His shop is not far from where the tenders dock.

• 1 month later...

We have snorkeled quite a bit in the Caribbean, never in the Mexican Riviera. We are considering a snorkel excursion with Yael that goes to Pelican Rock in May. I know this thread is about diving (we do not dive) but I was wondering if you could tell me your opinion about the snorkel conditions at Pelican Rock. Is the surge too high there? Just a bit concerned about that.

By all means get in the water. BUT to really see anything, go SCUBA diving! There is only so much you can see from 70 feet away. I have NEVER said that, "I really wish I could have snorkeled that spot instead of diving it..."

With regard to the surge. Weather permitting as with any dive site, but I would be more concerned about the insane amount of boat traffic on the surface.

I chose "Eagle Divers" they are right there where the tenders arrive, just go straight through the "fancy" mall, past the tequila store. Contact Mr. Alacacer or Joel the dive master. They actually come back to the dock in between dives so they are really flexible. They did have a snorkeler on our boat, and he was green with envy....

Tell them the guy from Palm Beach, Fl said hello... I was there on Sammy Hagars birthday.

C

Archived