Yellow fever/malaria-for Panama Canal?

lovesublime

We'll be on Island Princess Dec. 10-full transit and are wondering if we need vaccinations and malaria preventative. We will not be sitting it out on the ship, but rather plan to be out and about and doing as much as possible. We definitely don't want to get sick. Any advice?

I would not even give a second thought. The only time that would be of concern is if you were going to spend an extended period of time in the jungle, way out side of urban areas. During the daylight there is virtually no mosquitos around. As long as there is any kind of breeze there is even less chance of mosquitos. The time of year you will be going is also less mosquito prone.

I agree with Bill . . .

Yellow fever is not a problem in Panama period. Malaria only if you are deep in the Darian . . . along with the ONLY other people there who are Indians living deep in the jungle, FARC rebels, and clandestine drug folks from Columbia . . . or way off in some areas of Bocas del Torro. Don't worry, you won't be either place.

I've done over 20 Canal cruises, never gotten bitten anywhere except, no-seeums on Half Moon Cay early in the morning before the guests arrived, and one time in Aruba after a lot of rain.

Go, relax, stop worrying, and have fun! A few pina coladas are the best prevention against bug bites anyway.

Regards, Richard

Archived