Question about Malaga and Mijas

jane02

We will be in Malaga in August. I am very keen to do the 3 1/2 hour bike tour that gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. My question is that as the bike tour starts at 10am and would finish around 2pm would I have enough time to visit Mijas which I believe is about one hours drive away?

We are in port from 8am - 7pm. I was looking at the ship tour (which leaves in the afternoon)but I think the times with the cycling will clash. Is it easy to get transport from the port to Mijas. I am paranoid about getting caught in traffic and missing the ship.:eek:

We did the ship's tour to Mijas 3 years ago. I believe the tour was about 4-5 hours.

The drive back and forth was at least an hour and on busy roads. IMHO I don't think you have enough time to do this independently. Can you take the bike tour and the ship's tour to Mijas? I don't know about an independent tour that you can get at the port.

Keep in mind that you would be coming back to Malaga during afternoon commuter time.

Arlene

Mijas is a stunning little typical Andalucian town perched high up in the hills but quite atrail from malaga and a lot of it is on narrow twisting roads. A taxi there and back would be very expensive. An alternative might be to spend the rest of the time after your bike tour in one of the nearby beach resorts to Malaga. Puero Banus and Marbella re rather delightful and not your typical bucket and spade resort

• 2 years later...
We will be in Malaga in August. I am very keen to do the 3 1/2 hour bike tour that gets excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. My question is that as the bike tour starts at 10am and would finish around 2pm would I have enough time to visit Mijas which I believe is about one hours drive away?

We are in port from 8am - 7pm. I was looking at the ship tour (which leaves in the afternoon)but I think the times with the cycling will clash. Is it easy to get transport from the port to Mijas. I am paranoid about getting caught in traffic and missing the ship.:eek:

As Tarmar found, the only way to visit Mijas in a short day is by cruise excursion or taxi. Or mebbe by stealing the bicycle :D

Very very slow & limited bus service, or train to Fuengirola then bus to Mijas. Or car hire. Or day-trip coaches from local hotels. None of these will suit your timings.

By road it's only about half-an-hour but as a previous post, heading back to Malaga to be at the ship by 6.30pm you'll be mixing it with commuter traffic. Playing safe, best to allow 90 mins for the return.

Sorry, don't know the taxi costs but you could get quotes over the 'net for a pre-booked car, which should be a lot cheaper than hailing cabs.

And the safety-net that there are plenty of cabs ranked in Mijas.

So according to my maths, you'll have up to 2.5 hours in Mijas (2.30pm - 5pm) which is more than enough :)

Mijas used to be a day in "the real Spain" for northern europeans on sunshine-and-sangria package holidays on the Costa del Sol. Much more commercialied these days, but if you go up the steps behind the tourist shops & cafes you'll still see "real Spain" in the narrow, virtually traffic-free streets of whitewashed houses. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Malaga&daddr=Mijas,+Spain&hl=en&ll=36.596347,-4.638494&spn=0.000017,0.006169&sll=36.628754,-4.52774&sspn=0.225377,0.394821&geocode=FSBMMAIdUI68_ylR0TCNafZyDTGA5naleNIDBA%3BFfNnLgIdTTy5_yldw9h6q-FyDTGw5naleNIDBA&mra=ls&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=36.596445,-4.638335&panoid=lk_gSWNDKrYL7_dkHNhrGw&cbp=12,39.89,,0,0

And a super little bullring.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Malaga&daddr=Mijas,+Spain&hl=en&ll=36.593813,-4.639125&spn=0.000889,0.001542&sll=36.628754,-4.52774&sspn=0.225377,0.394821&geocode=FSBMMAIdUI68_ylR0TCNafZyDTGA5naleNIDBA%3BFfNnLgIdTTy5_yldw9h6q-FyDTGw5naleNIDBA&mra=ls&t=h&z=19

Marbella/Puerto Banus, mentioned by AmoMondo, is actually a great deal further than Mijas. Much closer coastal resorts are Torremolinos or its more attractive little neighbour La Carihuela, but these are all part of the 30-mile long unashamedly tourist strip of hotels etc, rather than places of interest.

JB :)

As John Bull pointed out, Marbella and Puerto Banus are actually further from Malaga than Mijas.

Why not spend the rest of your day in Malaga. It does have some nice pedestrian areas with good restaurants, and if you like art you can visit the Picasso Museum.

• 3 months later...

I happen to work for Malaga Bike Tours :)

If you are interested in discovering Malaga by bike, we offer personalised tours with excellent customer service. Tours are 24 euros and you can also rent bikes starting from 5 euros.

As for the case that was described earlier, the timetables of the tours can be personalised if enough people show interest (at least 2)

Malaga Bike Tours by Kay Farrell is the perfect way to see the best that Málaga has to offer in just a few hours. Thanks to the bicycle, you will see parts of the city that traditional tours simply can’t reach. Wind your way through 3000 years of civilization; through the narrow arabic streets, past the Roman Theatre, the cathedral, the Alcazaba- a muslim fortified palace, the Picasso museum and Picasso’s birth-house, hidden plazas, boulevards, parks, the beach front, three of the oldest churches in Malaga, the central market, the bull ring, the new port and much, much more. Throughout the tour, our entertaining guides explain the history, culture and anecdotes of this charming city and its fun-loving people. There is a break in the tour at a beach bar where you can try a complimentary ‘Málaga dulce’- the famous local sweet wine. Come and see for yourself why we say: Málaga is better on bike!

Malaga Bike Tours, close to the port and the main tourist office!

Archived