Freedom 8 Day Western Cruise Report...With Photos!

AryMay

Thank you for the great review. I can't wait to read about Panama! We did this same itinerary on the Liberty a few years ago and are booked again for it on the Freedom next summer. Panama and Costa Rica are two of my favorite places!

I saw a post above about taking ship tours. I usually do independent tours but didn't find a tour I was interested in with Charlie or Oscar Brown who seem to be the two primary operators in Costa Rica. We ended up going with Carnival's Bocuare Haven tour and were so impressed. It's probably in my top 3 excursions from all our cruises. Very personal with only about 18 people and a great way to hike through the rain forest and experience some Costa Rican culture. I think you can get great tours both ways - just make sure you do your research. :)

Thanks again and keep it coming!

Great Review. It will be very helpful in trying to convince my wife that we should join some friends from a previous cruise on the Freedom in January

:D

I'm all for anything that will convince her...it just wouldn't be the same without you two!

Great Review. It will be very helpful in trying to convince my wife that we should join some friends from a previous cruise on the Freedom in January

I wasn't on the previous cruise (Miracle waiters) but am eagerly waiting to meet you all..please come join us:) How can your wife resist

Just thought of one little tidbit I forgot to include in my Cozumel section...The restrooms at the Money Bar are wonderful...new and immaculately clean! In Mexico that's kind of rare! :)

Hi AryMay,,,,

I was just wondering,,,, Could it be possible that we were twins seperated at birth ? We write the same, take the same pictures, its almost eerie, lmao

That is so funny,,,,,,,, I think we have almost all the exact same pictures from Dzul-Ha in Cozumel,,,,,,, even down to the bells in the water with the fish around them.. :)

And you are right about the bathrooms at the Money Bar, they were the cleanest restrooms I've ever seen,,, spotless !!

I'm loving your review and can't wait to read the rest !!

A couple of weeks before the cruise I had purchased a new Canon D-10 camera. This model had just been released and can be used underwater (down to 10 meters). I’m not the greatest photographer, but did have fun using it while we were snorkeling. It was a little scary putting a brand new digital camera in the water...but it worked great. Not being too familiar with the camera, I completely forgot that I can also take underwater videos. I’ll have to try that next time!

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

Numerous "reef balls" have been put in the water to attract fish back to the area. My DH also saw a starfish and a barracuda, but he refuses to use a camera.

IMG_0109.JPG

I've been thinking of getting this camera as well fo our Freedom cruise up...thanks for posting these pics.

Hi AryMay,,,,

I was just wondering,,,, Could it be possible that we were twins seperated at birth ? We write the same, take the same pictures, its almost eerie, lmao

That is so funny,,,,,,,, I think we have almost all the exact same pictures from Dzul-Ha in Cozumel,,,,,,, even down to the bells in the water with the fish around them.. :)

And you are right about the bathrooms at the Money Bar, they were the cleanest restrooms I've ever seen,,, spotless !!

I'm loving your review and can't wait to read the rest !!

You want to know what else? Two years ago we spent a week in Akumal, Mexico (Riviera Maya) and I wrote a very long review very much like the one you did from Play del Carmen...cenote, ruins, snorkeling, etc.! If you want to compare our week to yours...here is the link:

http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=632248&mpage=1&key=

What can I say...we love to travel and we love to share our experiences with others!

Time to continue...on to our day in Panama...

Although most people plan to visit the canal when in Panama, we knew we wanted to take a tour to one of the Embera Indian villages. When researching tours, I ran across Anne Gordon’s website and knew immediately that I wanted to do one of her tours. Here is the information from her website:

Anne Gordon was an animal trainer for film & TV for over 20 years when she was hired in early 2004, to work on a film "The End of the Spear" to be shot in the jungles of Panama.

The production company had contracted to use the Embera' tribe as their actors for this real life story. Anne got to know many of the Embera' people and fell in love with their quality of life and how warm and open hearted they are. And as fate would have it she is now married to one of the Embera' men from the village of Embera' Puru.

Anne has been fully accepted as one of the family and tribe by Otniel's family and tribe members. She has the unique position as an insider into tribal life and culture as well as knowing what interests you have as a tourist viewing the Embera' and their lifestyle as a visitor from the "modern" world.

Here is a photo of Anne and her husband from the website:

otniel_009.jpg

The movie that Anne was involved in, “End of the Spear”, depicted the story of five missionaries who were speared to death in Ecuador in the 1950’s as they tried to minister to a tribe known for their extreme violence. DH and I had gone to this movie when it was released and purchased it on DVD later. This movie had personal significance to us…we have several close friends who have been involved in the lives of these missionaries…and one friend who actually was born in Shell, Ecuador and lived in the home of one of the missionaries.

Knowing that Anne had the connection to “End of the Spear” and was married to one of the Embera men convinced me that she would be the perfect guide for us. I was thrilled when she answered my email saying she was available and could spend the day with us in Panama.

I was a bit nervous when we docked in Panama and Anne was not there.

IMG_4647.JPG

There were lots of tour guides who were persistently trying to get our business, but when I explained that we already had a tour arranged, one nice man was kind enough to call Anne at the cell phone number she had given me. Anne was on her way and was running just a bit late due to traffic (she was traveling from Panama City to Colon to meet us). Anne and her husband split their time between living in the Embera village and in Panama City. In order to run her tour business she needs electricity, phone service and internet…none of which are available in the jungle village.

She arrived shortly and we climbed into her car and headed out through the city of Colon. As we drove, Anne pointed out things and answered our many questions. The original plan was for us to visit her husband’s village…but due to low water levels, the Panama Canal had been draining off water from surrounding rivers. And due to the low water levels, traveling by canoe to the village would take too long…perhaps a couple of hours. Since our time was very limited, she had arranged for us to visit a closer village instead…the Embera Quero village.

Eventually Anne pulled over to the side of the busy road and pointed down a steep embankment to a river. This was where the canoe was to pick us up…but the road down to the water had washed away. She left us to walk down to the water while she found a safe place to park her car.

IMG_0245.JPG

A couple of small dugout canoes at the boat landing:

IMG_0248.JPG

When she joined us, she made a cell phone call to the village…and yes…they did have cell phones! After about 10 or 15 minutes, a canoe arrives…with two men in loin cloths. The dugout canoe was made from a single log and had rustic benches that one of the men set up for us to sit on.

IMG_0256.JPG

The man running the motor introduced himself as “Johnson”. I commented on what a different name that was. He explained (and Anne translated) that someone had given his father an outboard motor (Evinrude/Johnson)…and he was named for the motor!

IMG_0249.JPG

As we were pulling away from the shore, two other couples from the ship came running down the hill yelling at us to wait. As they were climbing in, their guide followed and joined the group. I was disappointed that we were now sharing our “private tour”…but decided I wouldn’t let it spoil my day.

A short distance down the river…the motor on the canoe quit. Johnson worked to get it started…but no luck.

As we were drifting down the river, a second larger canoe came by…also piloted by two guys in loin cloths from the village. They pulled up alongside our canoe and we carefully transferred over to the other boat…all the while hoping that we didn’t capsize because who knew what lurked under that muddy water.

As we sailed away Johnson was still working on his motor...

IMG_0261.JPG

The trip down the river took about 30 minutes or so. Along the river we past other dugout canoes tied to the shore and brahma bulls grazing in the tall grass.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

The canoe took a sharp turn into a very small channel leading through a marshy area. This eventually opened up into a large, shallow lake.

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

As we crossed the lake, the huts of the village came into view…and looked like something from the pages of National Geographic.

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

We were greeted by the Embera men playing flutes and drums. The women and young children were lined up in their finest clothes to say hello.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

In the background of this last photo you can see a guy in shorts and a t-shirt. He was a Peace Corp volunteer living in the village. He was there to help the Embera develop their tourism business.

Anne knew many of the people by name and introduced us…several of them had been actors in the movie and she explained what part they had played. Right away DH spotted the village pet monkey. Anne warned him that the monkey loved to get picked up…but HATED to be put down. He walked over to the tree where the monkey was tied and then next thing you know…DH had a new best friend!

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

And Anne was right...DH had quite the time trying to pry the monkey off. The monkey had four "hands" and a tail...and knew how to use them well!

The Embera had all congregated in the “hospitality hut” and DH started passing out the candy and punching balls that we had brought.

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

Adults and kids alike enjoyed the candy. We also took a bag of toiletry items…shampoo, soap, etc. that we gave to the Embera women.

Here are some of the guys comparing and trading the candy.

IMG_0300.JPG

A couple of women were working on preparing our lunch. One was folding banana leaves into “dishes” to serve the food.

IMG_0282.JPG

Another was preparing yucca.

IMG_0283.JPG

Anne pulled us away from the others and we took a walk around the village with one of the men…Anne explained he was the second chief in command. As we walked he pointed out many different kinds of plants and explained how they were used for medical purposes…Anne translated.

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

While we were on this walk, we met Marco…a teenage boy who had played the role of Mincayani as a boy in the movie. (Mincayani was the Indian who had speared the missionaries…and later was converted to Christianity through contact with the missionaries’ families.) Marco had just returned to the village after spending a year as an exchange student in Kansas City. He was the only Embera who spoke English, so we truly enjoyed being able to visit with him during the day.

Here is Marco on the soccer field at the village. He told us he had made the varsity soccer team at the high school in Kansas City.

IMG_0304.JPG

As we walked through the village we came to a small stream.

IMG_0321.JPG

Anne explained that the river was used for bathing. The white blob in the water next to the bucket was actually fish heads & skins…they had been cleaned here in preparation for our lunch.

IMG_0318.JPG

A tour group from “My Friend Mario” had arrived at the village and we all gathered in the hospitality hut to eat the fish and yucca that the women had prepared. The fish was delicious...some of the best I have ever eaten. The yucca...not so much. :eek:

IMG_0328.JPG

After the meal, Anne narrated while the chief explained about their life stye and the crafts that the women made.

The Embera are noted for their tightly woven baskets…so tight in fact, they are water proof. These girls were busy working on baskets while the chief spoke.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Several tables were filled with crafts for sale…each table the work of a different woman. I thought the baskets and jewelry were beautiful…and very reasonable in price.

IMG_0297.JPG

Here is Marco's mother holding the basket that I bought from her.

IMG_0347.JPG

When the chief was done talking, the musicians started playing. The women and men each did separate dances…and then as couples or families.

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

They also asked all of the visitors to join in on one dance. I am short…but still towered over my partner!

IMG_0339.JPG

One of the plants we had seen was used to make ink for tattoos…so of course DH wanted to give it a try. One of the boys mixed the ink in a hollow bamboo stem and applied it to DH’s arm with a sliver of bamboo.

IMG_0327.JPG

The results were not the greatest…DH was very sweaty and hairy…a bad combination. Also it started to rain lightly and this caused the ink to run even more. Our kids just rolled their eyes when they saw dad’s tattoo! After two weeks...it has finally pretty much disappeared.

Mario’s group did not stay long after the dancing. Bob and Marco took off hiking into the jungle and Anne and I climbed to the top of the “guest hut” and visited while I relaxed in the hammock.

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Bob had fun spending time alone with Marco. Here Marco is climbing a tree to pick a mango for Bob!

IMG_0345.JPG

Just a few more photos...

Marco (on the right) and his brother...both acted in the movie "End of the Spear"...

IMG_0342.JPG

Don't let the angelic faces fool you...kids are kids no matter where they live. This little girl thought it was so funny to repeatedly hit us with the punching balls! I can still hear her giggles...

IMG_0274.JPG

The little boys playing...

IMG_0292.JPG

The chief chopping wood...notice the prosthetic leg with a "native foot" attached.

IMG_0286.JPG

Archived