Drive from Skagway up the Klondike

loves2cruz

Last year we did a train/small bus combo and it was wonderful. This time we are planning on renting a car. Aside from the obvious highlights like Emerald Lake are there any other places we should be sure to stop at? We are planning on using Murray's Guide.

Also, is there anywhere else we should go to with the car while in Skagway that would be of interest?

Not sure what to do about food. Is there anywhere to buy sandwiches or to eat. Anything quaint or special along the way. Don't want to go to Caribou Crossing again.

Thanks for any suggestions. We leave in 3 days!!!

The Cinnemon Cache is mentioned in Murray's Guide. We stopped there. It is very quaint. Good food. Nice folks.

I agree, Caribou Crossing is an embarassing tourist trap. We stopped because we have a husky and it is billed as having huskies and husky puppies. Their dogs didn't look very well cared for and we didn't see any huskies. Only a couple of puppies that were hiding to find a small piece of shade. Total rip off in my opinion. Very touristy.

We just took the same cruise tour a month ago.

Do not recall seeing a filling station to top of your car's gas tank for the return trip. As you know that road is barren and you do not want to run out of gas on it.

So in addition to food I would HIGHLY recommend you also ask about filling stations as well.

Remember to not forget to brigng you all's passports.

Also some extra spending money just in case you miss da' boat.:D

The Cinnemon Cache is mentioned in Murray's Guide. We stopped there. It is very quaint. Good food. Nice folks.

I agree, Caribou Crossing is an embarassing tourist trap. We stopped because we have a husky and it is billed as having huskies and husky puppies. Their dogs didn't look very well cared for and we didn't see any huskies. Only a couple of puppies that were hiding to find a small piece of shade. Total rip off in my opinion. Very touristy.

Am sure you all just loved seeing those 3 Dall sheep up on the mountain side.:D

Do not recall seeing a filling station to top of your car's gas tank for the return trip. As you know that road is barren and you do not want to run out of gas on it.

There's a gas station in Carcross, but you certainly don't need one for a 150-mile drive!

That place is okay for icecream, reststops and the taxidermy area is pretty cool. The dog sled thing is a sad experience to watch. The dogs don't look particularly happy or well kept. There is only one gas station in Skagway and the one in Carcross. You won't run out of gas on the trip. Just keep restroom stops in mind. Stop at Fraser and use the restrooms in the red building.

Can someone tell me exactly where the cafe is that you talked about? I read my Murry's guide and didn't see any mention of it.

I'm not sure which cafe you're asking about, but you'll find 4 of them at Km 106.0 (Montana Services), 108.6 (Caribou Crossing), 115.0 (the Cinnamon Cache) and 115.4 (Spirit Lake Lodge).

We're also renting a car in Skagway.

I found these tips/directions on the website we rented our van from:

Just before the bridge turn right and follow the road to Gold Rush Cemetery where Soapy Smith and Frank Reid Are buried. Going through the cemetery you'll find a mountain path that takes you to Reid Falls.

Mile 2.4: The first road to the left takes you to the historic site of Dyea - our rival during the Gold Rush. It starts out as a two lane paved road and ends up as a one lane dirt road. This is a very curvy mountain road. Watch ahead and pull into the pull offs on the mountain side when meeting vehicles.

Past the State Park and the Chilkoot Trail Outpost, you'll come to a wooden bridge. You can park here and walk to the Chilkoot Trailhead. After crossing the bridge take the first road to the left. This takes you to Slide Cemetery and on to Dyea. No structures remain of this ghost town.

Mile 4.4: Black Lake the original White Pass Trail of 98 went through this narrow gorge. Take advantage of the numerous pullouts. You are in the largest national forest in North America - 18 million acres. Our Park Service has done a great job describing historical events that took place at the various pullouts, plus the views can be quite spectacular.

Mile 11.1: The William Moore Bridge crosses a very active earthquake fault. It is firmly anchored on only one side enabling it to move freely with the earth. The gorge is only 110 feet wide, but 180 feet deep. Captain Moore was the first settler in Skagway. Just around the two pullouts with excellent views down the Skagway River Valley with the Cleveland Glacier above the Bridge and the Sawtooth Mountains to the left.

Mile 14.4: The summit of the White Pass (3,292 feet). The Railroad Summit is on the other side of this ridge.

Mile 15.3: Outhouse toilets here and at Log Cabin (Mile 27.3). This area is known as "the meadows".

Mile 22.7: Canadian Customs, Fraser, BC. All vehicles must stop and all passengers must show passports or picture driver's license + birth certificate (if from the US or Canada). All children under 18 need either passports or birth certificates and must be with their parents. The red building on the right is the last water tower remaining on the WP&YR line from the days of the steam locomotives.

Mile 27.3: This is Log Cabin - the original Gold Rush community is just North-East of this crossing. There are outside toilets & interpretive panels at the far end of the parking area. Bears are often seen in this area and along the road.

Mile 35.4: Tutshi (pronounced too shy) Lake - You'll follow this lake for almost 10 miles. The lake sits at an elevation of 2,320 feet. Mount Racine sits across the lake - 7,235 feet elevation. The mountain range with the reddish mineralization is the "Iron Capped Mountains".

Mile 59: Bove island on Tagish Lake.

Mile 65.6: Turn left to reach downtown Carcross, a Tagish First Nations village. Originally called Caribou Crossing, later shortened to Carcross. The Visitor Reception Centre is in the old railway depot across from the General Store. Leaving Carcross, turn left. Right outside Carcross is the "World’s smallest desert"

Mile 71.9: The Cinnamon Cache! A must stop to eat or grab a Cappuccino. Owned by a delightful French Canadian couple. Bo makes the breads fresh daily and his wife, Gayle, makes the soups. YUM!

Mile 72.1: Spirit Lake Lodge - if you bypassed the Cinnamon Cache, you'll want to stop here for some wonderful Dutch delicacies.

Mile 73.5: Emerald Lake - Now you see why we recommend this drive.

Hope this helps :)

I think I'm going to get the Murray's guide as well...

There is a gas station in Skagway just a few blocks from the docks.

We ate at Spirit Lake Lodge and found it quite good.

Do drive up to Emerald Lake as it's the highlight of a very scenic trip.

Also check out the General Store in Carcross for some rather unique items worth picking up as well as a stamp for your passport book if your into that, our kids loved it.

We rented a Toyota Camery from Avis for $129.00 for the day. Very clean and we were in/out and on our way in minutes. Just book it ahead on the internet and they had it waiting for us upon arrival. :)

Wow. Clearly different people have different opinions. Caribou Crossing is our favorite place to stop and we love it. Of course it is a tourist "trap", or a tourist "attraction" depending on how you see it.

The wildlife museum is extremely interesting, one of the largest collections of mounted Arctic wildlife I have ever seen.

My DW took the ATV tour and loved it.

And as far as the dog camp ... of course, you did not see any registered AKC huskies. If you had listened to Michelle's excellent educational presentation you would have heard how the dogs are NOT purebred, but are from a carefully selected gene pool chosen for speed and attitude. One of the dogs we met clearly had some black lab in its background but was a great wheel dog.

We are dog lovers and particular about dog care. The dogs at Caribou Crossing were obviously very well taken care of. They are not in wire kennels with concrete floors. Each dog has its own little house which provides shelter and shade. They all seemed happy and contented. They are not fat and lazy, they are lean and fit. Again in the educational presentation we learned that they are trained to work hard and then rest hard. Almost every dog we saw was asleep, mustering its energy until it was time to work. When the cart was brought out, however, they were all active and jumping around, begging for their chance to pull! Standing on the brake while they were all hitched up was the hardest job the musher had to do. We really enjoyed the cart ride, and enjoyed seeing how the dogs enjoyed it!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html and http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

and make up your own mind whether it is a "trap" or an "attraction"!

Thanks for stating what I couldn't be bothered stating, Mike. Michelle is a highly-respected musher, her dogs are some of the finest athletes in the North, and I'm off to Caribou Crossing with friends from out of town in a couple of hours. :)

Murray

Hi

We had driven up to Emerald Lake last year with a rental car from Avis. Beautiful trip. We are thinking of doing so again this year. Does anyone have any ideas for guided hikes or other activities besides the dogs to do on the way up or back?

Any other non touristy activities in Skagway?

Thanks

Wow. Clearly different people have different opinions. Caribou Crossing is our favorite place to stop and we love it. Of course it is a tourist "trap", or a tourist "attraction" depending on how you see it.

The wildlife museum is extremely interesting, one of the largest collections of mounted Arctic wildlife I have ever seen.

My DW took the ATV tour and loved it.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html and http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/skagway.html

and make up your own mind whether it is a "trap" or an "attraction"!

Thank you for posting your experience. We were considering skipping this stop after the first few posts.

• Administrators
Thank you for posting your experience. We were considering skipping this stop after the first few posts.

I agree with Mike's opinion of the dogs and their care. I owned, trained, showed, and bred dogs for years, and I had NO criticisms whatsoever of the conditions at Caribou Crossing in 2008. Shelter, shade, and water were plentiful, and the dogs were obviously well-socialized, healthy and well cared-for. They also loved their work. The puppies were free to run around and explore, and to socialize with each other and with people. Yep, several of them were zonked out in the shade -- that's what puppies do when they get tired; many times I've seen puppies chasing each other stop in midstep, yawn, lie down and fall asleep. :)

Every dog on the property the day we were there (except one golden retriever puppy who was a new pet) was a husky -- an Alaskan husky -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Husky

Considering that I was a tourist, it didn't bother me that this is an attraction designed for... um... tourists. I learned a lot there.

I agree with Mike's opinion of the dogs and their care. I owned, trained, showed, and bred dogs for years, and I had NO criticisms whatsoever of the conditions at Caribou Crossing in 2008. Shelter, shade, and water were plentiful, and the dogs were obviously well-socialized, healthy and well cared-for. They also loved their work. The puppies were free to run around and explore, and to socialize with each other and with people. Yep, several of them were zonked out in the shade -- that's what puppies do when they get tired; many times I've seen puppies chasing each other stop in midstep, yawn, lie down and fall asleep. :)

Every dog on the property the day we were there (except one golden retriever puppy who was a new pet) was a husky -- an Alaskan husky -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_Husky

Considering that I was a tourist, it didn't bother me that this is an attraction designed for... um... tourists. I learned a lot there.

Thanks for you input. I remember being scolded on another thread for mentioning that DD wanted to see a "real" Alaskan husky thinking they were the big blue-eyed beauties we see in pics. This stop will be for DD, thanks again for sharing.

• Administrators
Thanks for you input. I remember being scolded on another thread for mentioning that DD wanted to see a "real" Alaskan husky thinking they were the big blue-eyed beauties we see in pics. This stop will be for DD, thanks again for sharing.

Reading this thread got me to go look at my photos from Alaska again (I want to go back! We're going next year with my MIL, yay!). Here's a link to my Skagway album and there are photos from Caribou Crossing in there, including several of puppies and adult dogs -- http://picasaweb.google.com/michellp08/Alaska2008Skagway

Hi

We had driven up to Emerald Lake last year with a rental car from Avis. Beautiful trip. We are thinking of doing so again this year. Does anyone have any ideas for guided hikes or other activities besides the dogs to do on the way up or back?

Any other non touristy activities in Skagway?

Thanks

At Caribou Crossing, DW took the ATV tour and loved it.

At Spirit Lake Inn (between Caribou Crossing and Emerald Lake) I know they do horseback rides and probably guided hikes also.

Since Skagway probably has four times as many tourists as residents when the ships are in ... well, EVERYTHING in Skagway is "touristy"! As noted above ... UMMM, we ARE tourists, aren't we? :D

7 years ago I rented a wreck from Sourdough Rentals in Skagway. 150K miles on it and it made it round trip to White Horse. Did not need gas until I filled upon return in Skagway. Do not be over 35 mph at bottom of White Pass upon return as you are immediately in city limits and cop way down the road with radar on you.

The drive was the highlight of the cruise and saw all that the train sees from the other side of the canyon going up to White Pass. then the bonus of all the great sights onward to White Pass and lunch and seeing the old river steamer Klondike.

Highly recommend a car rental. It ended up costing me the same after my rental fee was raised when Avis was sold out.

In June we stopped at the Cinnamon Bun on the right (east side) going up. Sign says "get your buns in here". There is a place in carcross, next to where you stamp your passport with a bear, with good ice cream and sandwiches. As I recall you can also get sandwiches at the gas station.

Hope you enjoy the trip half as much as we did.

Vis

In Skagway we rented a van for $75 from Avis which is located very close to the piers. We drove to Carcross, Yukon Territory, Canada (130 miles roundtrip). As it turned out, there’s really nothing in Carcross, but the trip was incredible. (It’s not the destination —– it’s the journey). There was almost no traffic at all. We saw but one bus, a truck, and maybe 2 dozen cars the entire trip. We saw bears, caribou, mountain goats and bald eagles. We saw snow capped mountains and crystal clear lakes, numerous water falls, sweeping valley and mountain views, raging rivers, the White Mountain Pass Train. The kids through snowballs. We got back into town about 2pm and shopped. Many interesting stores. The place was packed with 4 ships in port. Enjoyed an Alaska Amber Ale at the Red Onion Saloon and were driven back to the ship by the folks at Avis. Between 8pm and 10pm that night we saw numerous Humpback whales, including tail slaps, and a breach within 50 yards of the ship.

Complete review: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/alaska.html

Archived