Shuttle from Airport to Tampa pier and back?

SJChaput

I was reading their price is $18.00 per person or $36.00 round trip to be taken from the airport to the pier and back... Making the price $72.00 for my (then) wife and I.

Are there cheaper alternatives?

How much would a taxi cost?

I can't imagine that $72 to travel a very short distance would be worth it...

If I were to take a taxi to the pier how would I know where to tell the driver to take us? Is there like a dock number or something I should know.. heck or even an address to the pier?

What would you all recommend?

From what I can gather the 8 or so mile trip in a cab would cost about 18-20 bucks compared to the $36 being charged (for two people) with Carnival.

Anyone know of any reason to spend the extra money to go through Carnival or is it just an overpriced rip-off?

From what I can gather the 8 or so mile trip in a cab would cost about 18-20 bucks compared to the $36 being charged (for two people) with Carnival.

Anyone know of any reason to spend the extra money to go through Carnival or is it just an overpriced rip-off?

I think the Carnival transfers are expensive and I hate being packed into a bus and they do pack you. Check out the link I listed and ask about cheaper methods of transportation, there are some really helpful people on that board :)

I have checked out the link thank you, no need for me to start another thread there because they agree that taxi is the way to go.

I have never ridden a taxi from the airport and in fact I don't live in a metropolis with taxis everywhere... Is this something I should book ahead of time or should I expect there to be a lot of taxis at the airport?

Might be a dumb question I don't know.

:)

No you do not need to book ahead. After you claim your luggage just walk outside to the taxi-stand and hop in the next available cab. Signs will direct you to the taxi-stand, an attendant will direct you to your cab. Off you go to the pier, quick and easy.

No you do not need to book ahead. After you claim your luggage just walk outside to the taxi-stand and hop in the next available cab. Signs will direct you to the taxi-stand, an attendant will direct you to your cab. Off you go to the pier, quick and easy.

Thank you! :D

It truly seemed like a stupid question but one I had to know the answer to.

I understand now that there are attendants at the airport but what about getting a taxi from the Pier back to the airport, should I expect there to be plenty of transportation available there as well?

I would imagine the taxi companies would be smart enough to have plenty of people there to make money but I wanna make sure to have my bases covered.

THANKS AGAIN! :)

I have checked out the link thank you, no need for me to start another thread there because they agree that taxi is the way to go.

I have never ridden a taxi from the airport and in fact I don't live in a metropolis with taxis everywhere... Is this something I should book ahead of time or should I expect there to be a lot of taxis at the airport?

Might be a dumb question I don't know.

:)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=45

If you are coming in the day before most holtels offer shuttles to the port. We took a shuttle back to the airport from the pier in 07 for $26.00 you may want to check that out.

Mike

We're coming in the day OF the cruise which is the reason I want to have all my bases completely covered. We are taking a direct flight in that is SUPPOSED to land @ 9am and the boat doesn't leave until 4pm so it gives us a nice window of time to get to the boat even if there are slight delays.

So we are going to take a cab from the airport to the pier when we land.

I just hope there are taxis available for the trip back to the airport. They seem half as expensive as the shuttles AND more comfortable and convenient.

We're coming in the day OF the cruise which is the reason I want to have all my bases completely covered. We are taking a direct flight in that is SUPPOSED to land @ 9am and the boat doesn't leave until 4pm so it gives us a nice window of time to get to the boat even if there are slight delays.

So we are going to take a cab from the airport to the pier when we land.

I just hope there are taxis available for the trip back to the airport. They seem half as expensive as the shuttles AND more comfortable and convenient.

I know there are cabs at the pier. That is where we picked up the shuttle when you get there you will see signs about these shuttles and can get one when you get back from the cruise that is what we did because the holtel shuttle did not pick up as late as we needed them to. The shuttle company will even hold your luggage if you need thenm to for a few $$. When you land in tampa get your cab and go to the pier you can get on the ship around noon and walk around and eat lunch. That is what we do we get there 10-11 and on the ship in 30-45 min. Do a search about shuttles

Good luck

Mike

Sailed the Inspiration out of Tampa the week prior to the 4th of July. All the threads I read beforehand were accurate the flat rate for a cab back to the airport from the pier was $25 with the graturity I paid the driver for a total of 6 bags it was $30. There were many cabs lined up waiting for fares at the end of our cruise so I would think most of the cabs would be familar with the port area if not it was named the Channelside area. Hope this helps.

Taxi is THE WAY to go in Tampa. $25 flat fee as been posted gets you to the airport in about 15 minutes on debarkation day. Walk off, go through customs, big signs pointing left for taxi, attendant out front asks ifyou want a taxi, you say yes, walks up, grabs your bag, tosses it in the back and your off...smooth and painless.

We had an 11 am flight on Sunday Morning out of Tampa and we did not want to do self assist, too many bags. On Saturday in the Capers they print to go to the pursers desk on Saturday with your printed airline tickets to show you have an early departure. They then give you a paper explaining to be at the sports bar, with that paper, at 8 am and to just leave your luggage outside the night before (so you don't have to lug it down all the stairs). We got there at 8am, 8:20 walked off ship, 8:25 collected our luggage, 8:27 through customs, 8:30 in a cab, 8:45 at the Delta Terminal with 2 hours and 15 minutes to spare. It was that easy.

Now for a real money saving tip. We had a chevy Astro Van taxi for just my wife and I. If we had found another couple while waiting in the sports bar to disembark and snagged that van cab, it would've been $25 for the whole thing and we could have split the cost of the cab!!!

Archived