Baja California/Mexico, Cheap but is it worth it?

Hey my fellow cruisers

My question is to those who have done the Baja Mexico cruise. I came across it and booked (4nights) b/c it was cheap but now that i am looking at things to do in the ports i am starting to worry. I will be taking this trip solo so i am able to explore with out worrying if the other people like what we are doing. So my questions are

What things did you do?

How warm/cold is it in nov/dec?

Do they have good Beaches?

My very first cruise was the 3-day to Ensenada. We did the wine tasting tour. And 4 cruises later it is still one of my most memorable excursions! :D

We had a great time, had PLENTY to drink, got a tour of Ensenada, purchased amazingly cheap tequila (but oh so smooth) at one of the wineries, received a free bottle of wine (each), all for about $40.

Can't speak for the beaches or weather. Hopefully someone else can help. We went in May and it was HOT!

I'm sure you'll have a great time. What's not to love. Afterall.... it's a cruise!!!

Personal opinion is that if you are paying for a flight from east coast to west coast for a cruise you might as well take a 7-day cruise.

We fly from Ohio to the west coast for cruises and won't consider anything less than a 7-day cruise. Heck, if we're going to pay for the airfare, we might as well get the most vacation days for the buck.;)

Dianne

My very first cruise was the 3-day to Ensenada. We did the wine tasting tour. And 4 cruises later it is still one of my most memorable excursions! :D

We had a great time, had PLENTY to drink, got a tour of Ensenada, purchased amazingly cheap tequila (but oh so smooth) at one of the wineries, received a free bottle of wine (each), all for about $40.

Can't speak for the beaches or weather. Hopefully someone else can help. We went in May and it was HOT!

I'm sure you'll have a great time. What's not to love. Afterall.... it's a cruise!!!

Ahhhh..Tequila.... Nothing better then smooth cheap Tequila to give you the hangover of ur life :D

Personal opinion is that if you are paying for a flight from east coast to west coast for a cruise you might as well take a 7-day cruise.

We fly from Ohio to the west coast for cruises and won't consider anything less than a 7-day cruise. Heck, if we're going to pay for the airfare, we might as well get the most vacation days for the buck.;)

Dianne

The days really dont bother me. Is all about the ports :D

Hey my fellow cruisers

My question is to those who have done the Baja Mexico cruise. I came across it and booked (4nights) b/c it was cheap but now that i am looking at things to do in the ports i am starting to worry. I will be taking this trip solo so i am able to explore with out worrying if the other people like what we are doing. So my questions are

What things did you do?

How warm/cold is it in nov/dec?

Do they have good Beaches?

I live in LA and have taken this cruise too many times to count. I like it but that is me, I love Catalina and really enjoy Ensenada. But Ensenada is really not a see thing tourist town. Most people walk around, do a little shopping, eating, and drinking as you can see by the previous posts. They get a lot of college traffic from San Diego and the popular watering holes and that can be either fun or over the line depending on you. It will NOT be hot at that time of year, it should be nice around 70 ish I would imagine and there are no beaches in the area but there is a small one on Catalina but it probably would be too cold to use it. I always love the route no matter what time of year and I started taking this run in 1980 on the old Azure Seas.

I choose this itin. over and over because it's cheap and I live between the L.A. and San Diego ports. We love cruising, but not necessarily these ports. If I was gonna pay for airfare, I would fly to Florida and cruise from there. I cruise from here to save that expense. We have fun no matter where we cruise, but a winter cruise to Catalina/Ensenada will not be warm or have beaches (for the most part). We are doing it again in late November with the kids. I agree with the other poster that the winery tour is very good.

The winery tour is great. I highly recommend that in Ensenada. Well worth the $40 dollars considering the prices you pay for drinks on the ship. Plus you get some decent scenery while riding through the countryside.

La Bufadora is neat for about 10-15 minutes. In my opinion, it is not worth the hastle of running the gauntlet of merchants at the street market leading down to the blowhole.

The beaches in ensenada are not that great. And the ocean water in that region will be very cold when you are going.

Ensenada is one of the better representations of what truly is Mexico. It is not a disgusting, crime infested, stinkhole like Tijuana (or any other border towns for that matter). It is also not a tourist trap like most other mexican cruise ports. If alcohol became illegal and the tourist industry shut down, Ensenada would be one of the few ports of call that would survive just fine.

Whatever your itinerary, it's still a cruise. Much better than being at work!

I choose this itin. over and over because it's cheap and I live between the L.A. and San Diego ports. We love cruising, but not necessarily these ports. If I was gonna pay for airfare, I would fly to Florida and cruise from there. I cruise from here to save that expense. We have fun no matter where we cruise, but a winter cruise to Catalina/Ensenada will not be warm or have beaches (for the most part). We are doing it again in late November with the kids. I agree with the other poster that the winery tour is very good.

I am looking at the weather average and it seems to be 60ish 70ish, it still beats 20-30 degree weather in NYC. Cruises that leave from florida i kind of dont have any intrest for the ports. I am going to Jamica and Grand Cayman in Nov and once is good for me. I like the more out of the way places and i will say LA and Ensenada is out of the way :D

Catalina Island and Ensenada

I just got back from this cruise. It was more just a relax trip for mom and me, we enjoyed Catalina by renting a golf cart and just drove around the island on our own. Drove to the Botanical Gardens and walked around there and ate lunch in town. we only walked around Ensenda and then back to the ship. I would suggest doing an excursion there for sure. The group we ate dinner with had a couple of girls (30' ish) they did the 4-wheel thing and they loved it.

I enjoyed this trip as it was 4 days of down time for me.

I've done Carnival's horseback riding excursion in Ensenada and really liked it. They take you out to a ranch owned/run by an American expatriate. She is a fascinating woman and treats her horses EXTREMELY well (that was my big concern). It's not expensive, and you get lunch, too.

However, I agree with others that if flying was involved, I'd change to a 7-day itinerary that does Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo instead. You can get rates on those that are only slightly more than the 4-day cruise, and it's a newer ship and a longer, better itinerary. Also, those ports will be substantially warmer and more beach-friendly at the time you're talking about going.

I've done Carnival's horseback riding excursion in Ensenada and really liked it. They take you out to a ranch owned/run by an American expatriate. She is a fascinating woman and treats her horses EXTREMELY well (that was my big concern). It's not expensive, and you get lunch, too.

However, I agree with others that if flying was involved, I'd change to a 7-day itinerary that does Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo instead. You can get rates on those that are only slightly more than the 4-day cruise, and it's a newer ship and a longer, better itinerary. Also, those ports will be substantially warmer and more beach-friendly at the time you're talking about going.

Well form what have seen when i was looking for airfare for my cruise in miami the parice is the same. Lax, MIA all just about the same price roughly in the mid 300's. Also i dont want to do any thin longer then 5 days is b/c i have a pooch who has a wicked case of seperation anxiety. Poor thing wont eat or play untill i get back.

We will be doing our first West Coast cruise on the 4-day Paradise as well, although have done numerous Caribbean cruises. We would have liked to do a longer cruise to make the flight worthwhile, but it was this or nothing. Will have 2 kids in college in the fall starting different weeks, and my DS is now in his summer semester. We only had about a 10 day time frame to go anywhere. I wil let all of you know how it went upon our return.

cpacheco212121: Our dear Shih Tzu also does not eat either while we are gone. The vet where we board our dog is a personal friend and they are very sweet and do McD hamburger runs for our dog. When we get back, though, it is always a challenge to get him back to eating his dog food. :eek: Oh, well. You may want to suggest this to whoever watches your pooch.

We will be doing our first West Coast cruise on the 4-day Paradise as well, although have done numerous Caribbean cruises. We would have liked to do a longer cruise to make the flight worthwhile, but it was this or nothing. Will have 2 kids in college in the fall starting different weeks, and my DS is now in his summer semester. We only had about a 10 day time frame to go anywhere. I wil let all of you know how it went upon our return.

cpacheco212121: Our dear Shih Tzu also does not eat either while we are gone. The vet where we board our dog is a personal friend and they are very sweet and do McD hamburger runs for our dog. When we get back, though, it is always a challenge to get him back to eating his dog food. :eek: Oh, well. You may want to suggest this to whoever watches your pooch.

My dad watches her, She eats ice cream and chicken for the whole 4 or 5 days. And then sits on the couch does not want to play till i walk in the door then it is like...OMG ur home!!!!!!! I get licks from head to toe :D

I am looking at the weather average and it seems to be 60ish 70ish, it still beats 20-30 degree weather in NYC. Cruises that leave from florida i kind of dont have any intrest for the ports. I am going to Jamica and Grand Cayman in Nov and once is good for me. I like the more out of the way places and i will say LA and Ensenada is out of the way :D

If you have never jumped in the water during the summer at a California beach you will be in for a shock. I recall going to Coney Island, Jones Beach and Rockaway. The gulf current back east keeps the summer water temps. in the 80's. Last time I was in Florida the water temp. was 83 degrees. So. Cal water temperatures rarely get over 70-72 degrees. Instead of the warm gulf stream we get the Alaskan current. In Catalina my wife and I took the inland island tour where we saw buffalo, an airstrip and great scenary. Our college age daughters went snorkeling. Wet suits were provided. There is also a glass bottom boat.

Ensenada has a nice downtown area with shops, bars and restaurants. We also took in La Bufadora. I enjoy chit chatting with the locals since I speak Spanish. Mexicans are very friendly with other Spanish speaking folk. Enjoy!

If you are truly wanting to fly to CA, I would strongly suggest the Elation out of San Diego to Cabo......they have a 5 day with 2 days in Cabo and also a 5 day with a stop in Cabo and Ensenada.......plus San Diego has many great things to do for a pre or post day cruise.......

Sailing at least down to Cabo(my fav) it will be alot warmer......last December it was in the mid 80's or higher......

November/December is not a good time to sail to Catalina......

I have done the Paradise itinerary several times and have no desire to do it again........

Right now Carnival is not showing the Elation past April of 2010, but Host Mach has reported that John Heald said they were going put out the rest of the schedule this week......so it will be back up to book.......

JMHO from a So Cal girl.......:)

So all in all what i am gathering from all the replys is it is a fun but laid back kind of itinerary. jazm2011 did you take carnivals excursions for the winery...from what i read they give free bottle of wine :D Yumm.

Yes, it was the Carnival excursion.

Didn't realize you were flying across the country for this cruise. Not sure it would be my port of choice if I was paying for a flight. But I know from experience there is a reason for everything! Heck, we are flying all the way to Florida for a quick 4 day cruise. So who am I to say... LOL :)

Edited to add:

I posted the above before reading all the replies. And I see you have many good reasons for taking a short cruise and from a distant port. I say go for it and enjoy. Even though by many of our standards the weather and water will be cold, considering you are from NY you will probably think it feels like spring!! Have a great time!

Lol, I'm from Socal so 60's is cold for me. I agree with Kurbanfan's recommendations. Even if you stay with a shorter cruise, like I'm doing in November, I highly recommend leaving out of San Diego vs L.A.. I've done both and MUCH prefer San Diego.

Archived