great trip except rude people

travelcrazy006

just returned from 7 day boston to bermuda trip, mostly wonderful, will give details if anyone wants specifics.

only downside was rude, ignorant people. NCL partly to blame for not supervising pool area.

we went to the pool early in the morning when first opening and even though there were only 5-10 other people in the area every chair was saved. even after being in the pool for over an hour or more still hardly anyone shows up. why is this allowed and where did these people get their manners!? no common courtesy - it's all about me!!!!!!

also the signs state no children in the pool unless accompanied by an adult - ok again no one there to enforce this and i guess we can't count on parents to watch and teach their children about rules and common courtesy. there is a great kid pool with slides so why are those kids in the adult pool?

and then there are those who think they own the pool. this guy cannonballs in and then looks at me and says "oh i didn't think it would splash" - REALLY!!?? you're about 6'2" and 300 lbs and you didn't think it would splash??!! so I say "well the signs say that you're not supposed to do that" his answer - "I DON'T FOLLOW RULES" So how do you deal with ignorant, moronic jerks like that!!??? this was not an isolated incident, it is scary what is happening to our society. If any of you rude, ignorant jerks are reading this you make me sick and are bringing down the morals of our society and spoil it for everyone else

We sailed Boston to Bermuda 7/10. We too had a great trip. Because we had our 2 young daughters with us, we hung out by the kiddie pool. You are right.....it was a great pool area for them. We too got out there early as most of the chairs were taken early in the morning. It was a lot less crowded than the main pool area and therefore more relaxing.

just returned from 7 day boston to bermuda trip, mostly wonderful, will give details if anyone wants specifics.

only downside was rude, ignorant people. NCL partly to blame for not supervising pool area.

we went to the pool early in the morning when first opening and even though there were only 5-10 other people in the area every chair was saved. even after being in the pool for over an hour or more still hardly anyone shows up. why is this allowed and where did these people get their manners!? no common courtesy - it's all about me!!!!!!

also the signs state no children in the pool unless accompanied by an adult - ok again no one there to enforce this and i guess we can't count on parents to watch and teach their children about rules and common courtesy. there is a great kid pool with slides so why are those kids in the adult pool?

and then there are those who think they own the pool. this guy cannonballs in and then looks at me and says "oh i didn't think it would splash" - REALLY!!?? you're about 6'2" and 300 lbs and you didn't think it would splash??!! so I say "well the signs say that you're not supposed to do that" his answer - "I DON'T FOLLOW RULES" So how do you deal with ignorant, moronic jerks like that!!??? this was not an isolated incident, it is scary what is happening to our society. If any of you rude, ignorant jerks are reading this you make me sick and are bringing down the morals of our society and spoil it for everyone else

You get what you pay for. NCL is a bargain basement cruiseline so it's going to attract some of the types of people you mention that are "rough around the edges."

But, not all the people who sail NCL are like that, so you just need to go in with your eyes wide open if you're going to book another trip on NCL.. otherwise, choose a more upscale line. Compared to a line such as Crystal.. NCL is the "McDonalds" of cruising.

I much prefer Windstar, but they don't sail out of NY, nor do they go to Bermuda.. so yes, I still will sail NCL now and then.. but I know what to expect. I know not to be upset when people walk in the main dining rooms in ratty jeans, backwards baseball hats, and t-shirts with advertisements on them.

I avoid the pool on the NCL line like the plague. I can't stand the noise.. the loud "music" (and I use that term lightly) and the chaos there. That's why I get a balcony.. so I can relax in peace. Now, on Windstar, the pool situation is so much nicer. No blasting music, and no chair hogs.

What I suggest is that if you see a chair with stuff on it and no people.. bring the stuff to the lost and found, and take the chair. Those are the rules.. no reserving chairs, so you're following the rules.

Again, I would look into other cruise lines in the future. NCL isn't for you.

You get what you pay for. NCL is a bargain basement cruiseline so it's going to attract some of the types of people you mention that are "rough around the edges."

But, not all the people who sail NCL are like that, so you just need to go in with your eyes wide open if you're going to book another trip on NCL.. otherwise, choose a more upscale line. Compared to a line such as Crystal.. NCL is the "McDonalds" of cruising.

I much prefer Windstar, but they don't sail out of NY, nor do they go to Bermuda.. so yes, I still will sail NCL now and then.. but I know what to expect. I know not to be upset when people walk in the main dining rooms in ratty jeans, backwards baseball hats, and t-shirts with advertisements on them.

I avoid the pool on the NCL line like the plague. I can't stand the noise.. the loud "music" (and I use that term lightly) and the chaos there. That's why I get a balcony.. so I can relax in peace. Now, on Windstar, the pool situation is so much nicer. No blasting music, and no chair hogs.

What I suggest is that if you see a chair with stuff on it and no people.. bring the stuff to the lost and found, and take the chair. Those are the rules.. no reserving chairs, so you're following the rules.

Sorry, comparing NCL or any of the mass market lines to Windstar isn't even a close comparison. I've seen the same types of rude people on each mass market ship I've gone on. Manners seem to have gone by the wayside, not only on cruises, but everywhere....

And so is Holland America, RCL, Carnival and Princess. All mass market lines. Nice to know that those of us that like NCL are considered "rough around the edges" by you.

No kidding. Lets look at some basic pricing.

Canada/New England in October:

Crystal: $6350.00 (inside cabin)

NCL: $ 599.00 (inside cabin)

I much prefer Windstar, but they don't sail out of NY, nor do they go to Bermuda..

Again, lets look at some pricing.

Carribbean January sailing:

Windstar: $2219.00 (inside)

NCL: $ 499.00 (inside)

so yes, I still will sail NCL now and then..

When you want to save a ton of bucks.

but I know what to expect. I know not to be upset when people walk in the main dining rooms in ratty jeans, backwards baseball hats, and t-shirts with advertisements on them.

If you have a problem with people not adhering to the dress code, you should bring it to the Maitre D's attention.

Many people enjoy the music. As far as chair hogs, again, you will find them on every single mass market cruise line.

I agree 100%

Few people can afford Windstar or Crystal. And if they can afford the price, most people would choose a fantastic suite on NCL rather then an inside room on the other two. I know I would for sure. Nothing is perfect, but for the dollar you pay, NCL is an excellent value that can't be beat by any of the other lines in my opinion.

CG

You will find rudeness on any line, it is not endemic to NCL. You will even find people with no manners or common courtesy on.....GASP, CHOKE, CHOKE.....Windstar ot Crystal. Maybe not the same type of rudeness, but rudeness nevertheless.

...............But, not all the people who sail NCL are like that,....

Thankfully, you added this but it is self-serving.:p

so you just need to go in with your eyes wide open if you're going to book another trip on NCL.. otherwise, choose a more upscale line. Compared to a line such as Crystal.. NCL is the "McDonalds" of cruising.

Not all people have the option of choosing a more upscale line.

I much prefer Windstar, but they don't sail out of NY, nor do they go to Bermuda..

Pretty much rules out Windstar to Bermuda, so looks like you might have to "rough it" if you want to go there.:D

Pretty big assumption for knowing very little about the poster and basing all your recommendations on your dislike of NCL.

I am sorry that the OP had some unpleasant experiences on their cruise.

I think that there are more similarities on the mainstream cruise lines than differences. This goes for the product as well as the passengers. I do not like gross generalizations and your post attempts to clump every NCL experience into the OP's as if this is the norm. I respectfully disagree as I have not encountered these issues on the 7 NCL cruises that I have been on. Yes there have been things come up but it has not been the norm for me.

I have been blessed and fortunate to do many things in my life in which manners and class required. I know manners and I know how to be proper and follow rules as well. I was also taught to "not judge a book by it's cover" and that "sometimes you can dress them up but you cannot take them out". This works for the luxury cruises as well as the mainstream cruises.

Do not get me wrong. I think that Windstar, Crystal, and other luxury lines are wonderful. I have been on Cunard and enjoyed it very much. I do not think that these luxury lines are exempt from other passengers behaviors and attitudes that are off-putting to some. The price tag does not remove the problems.

Surfgirl, I encountered the same pool side, deck chair problem once while cruising Gazela of Philadelphia and I can tell you I was not happy at all! :p

To top it off, the crew member on watch atop the galley roof wouldn't get me a drink. ;)

Surfgirl, I encountered the same pool side, deck chair problem once while cruising Gazela of Philadelphia and I can tell you I was not happy at all! :p

To top it off, the crew member on watch atop the galley roof wouldn't get me a drink. ;)

:D:D:p:D

Yeah, because those darn middle class cruisers that save their money for a year to enjoy a nice vacation and get a rest from their menial jobs just don't belong with those of us that are fotunate or lucky enough to have the money to be able to afford a vacation that excludes "those types".

yeah, because those darn middle class cruisers that save their money for a year to enjoy a nice vacation and get a rest from their menial jobs just don't belong with those of us that are fotunate or lucky enough to have the money to be able to afford a vacation that excludes "those types".

lol!

Sorry, comparing NCL or any of the mass market lines to Windstar isn't even a close comparison. I've seen the same types of rude people on each mass market ship I've gone on. Manners seem to have gone by the wayside, not only on cruises, but everywhere....

How do you know? I see you haven't been on Windstar.

Originally Posted by Surfgirl viewpost.gif

And so is Holland America, RCL, Carnival and Princess. All mass market lines. Nice to know that those of us that like NCL are considered "rough around the edges" by you.

1. Holland America, RCL, and Princess are all a step above NCL. Carnival.. well, that's debatable.

2. Before you get your granny knickers in a knot, please re-read my statement. Note the word, "SOME". Some does not mean "ALL." And then note the quote in blue before when I said "NOT ALL" the people who sail NCL are like that. But you seem to have selective reading.

No kidding. Lets look at some basic pricing.

Canada/New England in October:

Crystal: $6350.00 (inside cabin)

NCL: $ 599.00 (inside cabin)

Again, lets look at some pricing.

Carribbean January sailing:

Windstar: $2219.00 (inside)

NCL: $ 499.00 (inside)

Now, to prove how the above statement is totally false... THERE ARE NO INSIDE CABINS ON WINDSTAR!

so yes, I still will sail NCL now and then..

When you want to save a ton of bucks.

No, please do not put words in my mouth. I will sail NCL when I like the itinerary and because it sails out of NYC.. Windstar does not sail out of NYC. I hate to fly, but will do it when necessary.

but I know what to expect. I know not to be upset when people walk in the main dining rooms in ratty jeans, backwards baseball hats, and t-shirts with advertisements on them.

If you have a problem with people not adhering to the dress code, you should bring it to the Maitre D's attention.

Why? The Maitre D' let them in to begin with. They don't enforce the rules, or they're afraid to because "some" (note the word SOME) of the people will make a scene.

Many people enjoy the music. As far as chair hogs, again, you will find them on every single mass market cruise line.

And, many people enjoy quiet. I will not comment on your mass market cruise line allegation, since I've never sailed on the lines you mentioned above.

I agree 100%

Lord have mercy! She agrees!

Few people can afford Windstar or Crystal. And if they can afford the price, most people would choose a fantastic suite on NCL rather then an inside room on the other two. I know I would for sure. Nothing is perfect, but for the dollar you pay, NCL is an excellent value that can't be beat by any of the other lines in my opinion.

I wouldn't say few people can afford Windstar and Crystal, since both lines are doing quite well. And once again, there are no "inside" cabins on Windstar.

Is NCL an "excellent value?" Yes, absolutely, but "you get what you pay for" and that includes SOME-- notice the word-- SOME (not all, but SOME) very low class, tacky, rough around the edges people. And BTW, Windstar is more affordable than you think, if you know where to look. Last year, I saw a Carribean cruise for about a grand-- which is often comparable to NCL's outside cabin.

If Crystal, Seabourne Yacht, Seadream Yacht Club, or Windstar sailed out of NY... I would be on them instead of NCL, hands down.

Is NCL an "excellent value?" Yes, absolutely, but "you get what you pay for" and that includes SOME-- notice the word-- SOME (not all, but SOME) very low class, tacky, rough around the edges people. And BTW, Windstar is more affordable than you think, if you know where to look. Last year, I saw a Carribean cruise for about a grand-- which is often comparable to NCL's outside cabin.

If Crystal, Seabourne Yacht, Seadream Yacht Club, or Windstar sailed out of NY... I would be on them instead of NCL, hands down.

So you are blaming the low class, tacky, rough around the edges people are there because of the price?!?!? Talk about tacky and low class. Some of the rudest people I have encountered are those with money who, because of that money, believe they are entitled to more than anyone else or that the rules don't apply to them.

So you are blaming the low class, tacky, rough around the edges people are there because of the price?!?!? Talk about tacky and low class. Some of the rudest people I have encountered are those with money who, because of that money, believe they are entitled to more than anyone else or that the rules don't apply to them.

Way to spin a question... :eek:

No, money doesn't buy class... however, the types of people attracted to the more upscale cruise lines tend not to enter belly flop and hairy legs contests.

There are no chair hogs on Windstar. There are no problems with people wearing McDonald's attire to dinner. They know resort casual doesn't mean shorts and a "I'm with stupid" t-shirt.

Try Windstar. You might like it. That is... as long as you're not interested in the belly flop contests. :D

No, money doesn't buy class... however, the types of people attracted to the more upscale cruise lines tend not to enter belly flop and hairy legs contests.

There are no chair hogs on Windstar. There are no problems with people wearing McDonald's attire to dinner. They know resort casual doesn't mean shorts and a "I'm with stupid" t-shirt.

Try Windstar. You might like it. That is... as long as you're not interested in the belly flop contests. :D

Thanks, I will. I haven't seen any belly flop contests on NCL either though...:confused:

BTW, I didn't spin. I asked if that is what you were saying. I don't know another way to read it. The OP complained of rude behavior and rule breaking, and I see no correlation to cost.

Really? Maybe you didn't tip him enough. The chap with the red bandana was serving me Cristal champagne and caviar. :D

gazala1.jpg

Thanks, I will. I haven't seen any belly flop contests on NCL either though...:confused:

I saw it. on the NCL Crown. They were part of the "Wild and Wacky Pool Games" that were listed on the Freestyle Daily. Here is a video from a belly flop contest on the NCL Jewel.

And.. here is the "classy" hairy legs contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BDz9MQEe9o

BTW, I didn't spin. I asked if that is what you were saying. I don't know another way to read it.

No, your question was worded to imply something that I never said.

The OP complained of rude behavior and rule breaking, and I see no correlation to cost.

So you are telling me that the behavior and manners at a McDonalds is the same as at Le Bernardin?

Originally Posted by Surfgirl

I am sorry that the OP had some unpleasant experiences on their cruise.

I think that there are more similarities on the mainstream cruise lines than differences. This goes for the product as well as the passengers. I do not like gross generalizations and your post attempts to clump every NCL experience into the OP's as if this is the norm. I respectfully disagree as I have not encountered these issues on the 7 NCL cruises that I have been on. Yes there have been things come up but it has not been the norm for me.

I have been blessed and fortunate to do many things in my life in which manners and class required. I know manners and I know how to be proper and follow rules as well. I was also taught to "not judge a book by it's cover" and that "sometimes you can dress them up but you cannot take them out". This works for the luxury cruises as well as the mainstream cruises.

Do not get me wrong. I think that Windstar, Crystal, and other luxury lines are wonderful. I have been on Cunard and enjoyed it very much. I do not think that these luxury lines are exempt from other passengers behaviors and attitudes that are off-putting to some. The price tag does not remove the problems.

Well said. There are rude people in all walks of life and on all cruiselines. I have to agree with Mooder also that most of the rudest people I have met are ones who think money can buy them anything on earth. It can't buy class nor respect. I have seen more rude people on HAL and Carnival than I ever have on NCL. Just because you sail on Windstar doesn't mean you won't encounter rude, tasteless people.

I have no idea why I keep reading this thread but I must say it is quite intriguing.

So, if you can afford more expensive cruise lines you wouldn't enter belly flop and hairy legs contests??? I don't understand your logic. Just because the more expensive cruise lines don't have those contests doesn't mean those passengers wouldn't enter the contest if they had them.

Second, eating Gouda cheese and cavier doesn't make anyone a better person; it only means they can afford it! I must say I don't frequent McDonald's but when I take my kids there I can guarentee to you that I dress just fine so I'm not sure why you keep up with that analogy as well.

NCL works just fine for my family. I take cruises so that I don't have to wake up every morning and make my bed, go to work, come home make dinner and then clean house. I'll be damned if I would let some stupid chair hog ruin my vacation in any way. My vacation is #1 as long as I'm with my family and NCL!!!:)

I have no idea why I keep reading this thread but I must say it is quite intriguing.

So, if you can afford more expensive cruise lines you wouldn't enter belly flop and hairy legs contests??? I don't understand your logic. Just because the more expensive cruise lines don't have those contests doesn't mean those passengers wouldn't enter the contest if they had them.

Second, eating Gouda cheese and cavier doesn't make anyone a better person; it only means they can afford it! I must say I don't frequent McDonald's but when I take my kids there I can guarentee to you that I dress just fine so I'm not sure why you keep up with that analogy as well.

NCL works just fine for my family. I take cruises so that I don't have to wake up every morning and make my bed, go to work, come home make dinner and then clean house. I'll be damned if I would let some stupid chair hog ruin my vacation in any way. My vacation is #1 as long as I'm with my family and NCL!!!:)

This is well said. I hope that we are on the same cruise sometime in the near future!;)

Here's the thing surfgirl. You prefer Windstar and all the other upscale lines. Basically, there is nothing wrong with that. However, it's quite obvious that you have hit a nerve with with most of the others who have posted on this thread.

Even though you said some, not all, there is still no need to belittle a whole cruise line in the way you chose to do so. The way you have described the other lines, one is lead to believe that EVERYONE has the most impeccable manners at all times. That picture is just as wrong as the one you paint. Believe it or not, there are people around that have cruised upscale lines and know there can be rude and obnoxius people anywhere, anytime and from any station in life. They might only have a different way of doing it than the "rough around the edges" people.

There is no point in trashing another line. I've read many reviews where a cruise was not to someone's liking for whatever reason, but they expressed their opinion in a way that did not make their preferred cuise line seem like The Best Ever at the expense of the other. There is always a diplomatic way to express opinions.

Archived