P & O Oriana

shmuel

We went to the Caribbean last October on a 4 week cruise and loved it. Lovely ship, very traditional, not flashy like some. We are off again for a 3 week cruise on her back to the Caribbean end of Sept. Staterooms are nice, food was excellent and the staff great. All the public rooms are attractive, and there is a lovely theatre.

She is in many ways a lovely ship.

There are a few drawbacks:-

a) the cabins are a bit smaller than on the most modern ships;

b) there are very few cabins with balconies, and those that there are, are expensive;

c) currently, smoking is still permitted in the Crows Nest lounge, which post 2007 seems odder and odder: an amount of smoke that one just accepted in the past now seems very objectionable.

Thanks for your lovely photos of Oriana. Two weeks today we shall be on board her for the first time since 2000. Having previously sailed on Aurora, Oceana and Ventura we have been spoilt with a balcony so also have a balcony cabin on B deck.

1. Did you have a cafetiere for coffee? Looking at your photo it would seem to be a normal white kettle rather than like the lovely Nick Rose set we had last yearon Ventura.
  2. Did you get bathrobes? They take up so much space in the suitcase if I can avoid taking mine then I will. OH is much taller / larger - just wondering if they come in various sizes.
  3. Did you experience Oriana Rhodes? Last time we were on board it was the Curzon Room.

Really looking forward to having a bit more space for pre dinner drinks (Crow's Nest, Andersons etc). We found this to be a problem last year on Ventura.

13 days to go !!! Can't wait.

Hi Missalto

Yes we did get bath robes and slippers but never tried either of them. our cabin was B173

we also had binoculars and an atlas.

You are right it was just a plaine kettle and we found we had plenty of room in the wardrobe for our cases and one under the bed.

We did not try the Rhodes

Hope you do enjoy your cruise and i think you will find captain Chris Wells a bit of a laugh once you get used to his ways?????

Mel

PS they will even sell you the bathrobes at £30 a time

I dined in Oriana Rhodes twice on a 9n cruise in May this year, it was fantastic, we tried menu A and Menu B they rotate every 4 days.

Have dined in Arcadian Rhodes a few times - and would say Oriana Rhodes was even better than Arcadian Rhodes.... fantastic, do try it.

Here are some photos of ORIANA Rhodes, from my Oriana photo album

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Oriana23May2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqh5Ye3pN7sEQ#5342461787246058482

very nice ship been on it twice,found the food was ok,beer is a good price but not enough places to have a smoke.

personally we prefer the ARCADIA no particular reason thats just us.

whatever your on have a good cruise.

Thanks for the useful info on Oriana. Will be on her in 10 days time, first time aboard so eager to gather as much info as possible. We usually have a cabin with balcony but felt that the difference between an outside cabin and cabin with balcony was too great so are in an outside cabin. I am sure that I will miss having a balcony. I like to go outside and watch us sail into ports. Oh well, the saving we have made will help buy an extra cocktail or two!!

We had a lovely cruise aboard Oriana in June. Food was excellent in the Oriental Restaurant and predictable but tasty in the Conservatory self-service. Had 1 meal in Oriana Rhodes, which was really lovely.

She is a very 'quietly elegant' ship. If glitz & modern-day glamour are your cup of tea, she will probably seem a bit boring. If, on the other hand, you prefer tradition and classical elegance, you will love her.

She is very easy to get around. If you were unlucky and got bad weather in the Baltics, it is worth noting that she does not have an enclosed pool. Also, the combination of Oriana and the Baltics may attract an older crowd, so there might not be a lot of lively nightlife - if that's your thing.

Hope that is helpful. I love her but then again, Ventura does not attract me.

Archived