Laundry "bag" deal...

I asked a while ago about the laundry deal that happens mid-week, and someone had the brilliant idea of rolling/folding the laundry tight, putting it in a ziploc bag and the ziploc into the paper bag provided. Any thoughts on what size ziplocs to bring along for this?

Thanks!;)

The paper bags would only hold 1gallon ziplock bags.

I am not too sure how laundry works on the ship. I believe that they dump your bag into a mesh bag to wash. I do not see them taking the time to open the ziplocks and diggng the clothes out.

If I am wrong someone will soon correct me.:)

ETA- Those paper bags can hold a bunch of clothes.

This is just my opinion but I don't think it is much of a deal. If you have quiet a bit of clothes you would come out better by washing them yourself. I did read somewhere though they went up on the cost of self laundry from $2.00 a wash to $4.00 but it is still cheaper to do it that way if you have alot of laundry that needs cleaning. I know most people do not want to do laundry on vacation but for me I prefer to do it then rather than have to do it when I get home. It just makes it easier for unpacking when we get home. On shorter cruises it doesn't bother me. (less clothes);):)

I would much rather pay the $15 than waste my valuable vacation time fighting to get a washer and then babysitting my clothing. Just looking to have a few shorts and tshirt washed, nothing massive. We had an incident on our last sailing that turned me right off from doing any laundry onboard...it's worse than a college dorm laundromat. Plus, I'll be damned if I'm doing laundry on my vacation. ;)

I agree! No doing laundry on vacation! But I learned the hard way to just send garments that can take extreme heat. The dryers must be extremely hot. Last cruise I sent a pair of perma-press slacks. They came back folded to the same size as briefs, and the wrinkles were permanent.

I would much rather pay the $15 than waste my valuable vacation time fighting to get a washer and then babysitting my clothing. Just looking to have a few shorts and tshirt washed, nothing massive. We had an incident on our last sailing that turned me right off from doing any laundry onboard...it's worse than a college dorm laundromat. Plus, I'll be damned if I'm doing laundry on my vacation. ;)

To each his own.;) Oh! the size of the ziplocs would be the xlarge ones.

The bags would be a good deal IMHO if you could put anything meaningful into them and have them returned clean. I tried including several of DH's shirts, along with other items, and they sent the shirts back, still dirty, saying that they don't do shirts; all they do is undies and swimwear. What's that about?

After spending 3-4 days strolling by the laundry room, to find all of them occupied, we finally saw one available late one night (keeping in mind we're usually so exhausted from the sun and excursions we're normally sound asleep by 11:00 p.m.) about 10:00. Only to find 1 of the 3 washers was broken, as was 1 of the 3 dryers. Then the vending machine that dispenses the soap ate my money, so had to go to the Purser's desk to get replacement detergent. The person who was hogging one of the two WORKING dryers (with his load of wet clothing that sat in there the entire time we were switching out our laundry, didn't bother to come back to plug in the money to dry his things for the hour or two we were in and out of the laundry room) was quite confrontational when he came back and noticed we had just placed the wet clothing on top of the dryer so we could use it. So confrontational, in fact, that when we came back right about the time our clothes were to be dry, found OUR clothing wet on top of the dryer and HIS clothing in the dryer (using OUR money to dry his things).

At this point it was about 1:00 a.m. and we ended up just taking most of our soggy clothing back to our room and hung it all over our cabin to dry (which, due to lack of airflow in there, took 2 days).

No thanks. Bring on the laundry bags.

And it states in the in-cabin books that the only thing they don't accept in the "special" laundry bags is jeans. If they refused to wash anything else, I'd have taken it up with your steward or hotel or housekeeping manager.

AMEN! I totally agree with you on this one!

I had a sack done on our last cruise. It was a lot of clothes. I lost one sock :( but the rest was great!

Just off the Glory today. The bag they give you for the specials will only hold maybe 2 pairs of shorts, three tee shirts and 2-3 underware and socks. Really small. The $15 special is ONLY for these items. No pants or shirts. I asked. We didn't think it was worth it and spent an hour and half doing ONE load of clothes! The dryer was not very hot. It cost $3 for the washer and $3 for the dryer and $1 for the soap. To give you an idea... the dryer was set for 84 minutes for the $3! Luckily my wife reads alot and spent the time doing that. I did make an appearance to collect some of the dried clothes. :D;)

Steve

I asked a while ago about the laundry deal that happens mid-week, and someone had the brilliant idea of rolling/folding the laundry tight, putting it in a ziploc bag and the ziploc into the paper bag provided. Any thoughts on what size ziplocs to bring along for this?

Thanks!;)

What is the purpose of double-bagging like this?

What is the purpose of double-bagging like this?

So that you can roll the clothes tightly, squeeze as much into it as you can, squeeze the air out of it and put it in the paper bag without ripping it (as you might if you just rolled it and tried to place it in the paper bag).

We took advantage of the laundry deal on the Valor last March. The bag looked pretty small when we got it, but we were actually able to fit a ton of clothes into it: t-shirts, shorts, underwear, socks. Basically, everything that was dirty got put in that bag (I didn't consider our nicer dinner clothes dirty since we had only worn them for a couple hours). I don't think you really need the ziploc bags. I just folded the clothes up really neatly and sort of squeezed them together, put them into the bag carefully, and then put a pair on DH shorts on top (with the top end and the bottom end of the shorts tucked down the sides of the bag to sorta hold everything else in, if that makes sense). Everything came back nice and clean!

We always need to do laundry. We'll do Disney or something before, and that, combined with airline restrictions on suitcases, means we do laundry. Now, we don't do this anymore as we are platinum:D Our stuff comes back in neat little bags.

But, here are my laundry tips for those who don't do laundry:

1) Try to wash toward begining of cruise. The last day can be busy in the LR.

2) If a room is busy, visit another room

3) Pack Glad brand (or similar) high quality large bag bags to carry your clothes. Nothing is as embarrasing as having your cheap costco bag rip and dumping your dirty underwear in front of others!

4) Pack a small box of concentrated soap- don't use CCL soap!

Big, big hint- clean the lint screens on the dryers! Note that I said screens, there are two! There is the one in the dryer that everyone knows about, but there is also another one BEHIND the machine. This one will have a long metal handle. You reach for the handle and pull it out. Usually, it has a lot of lint on it. Clean it and reinstall.

After spending 3-4 days strolling by the laundry room, to find all of them occupied, we finally saw one available late one night (keeping in mind we're usually so exhausted from the sun and excursions we're normally sound asleep by 11:00 p.m.) about 10:00. Only to find 1 of the 3 washers was broken, as was 1 of the 3 dryers. Then the vending machine that dispenses the soap ate my money, so had to go to the Purser's desk to get replacement detergent. The person who was hogging one of the two WORKING dryers (with his load of wet clothing that sat in there the entire time we were switching out our laundry, didn't bother to come back to plug in the money to dry his things for the hour or two we were in and out of the laundry room) was quite confrontational when he came back and noticed we had just placed the wet clothing on top of the dryer so we could use it. So confrontational, in fact, that when we came back right about the time our clothes were to be dry, found OUR clothing wet on top of the dryer and HIS clothing in the dryer (using OUR money to dry his things).

At this point it was about 1:00 a.m. and we ended up just taking most of our soggy clothing back to our room and hung it all over our cabin to dry (which, due to lack of airflow in there, took 2 days).

No thanks. Bring on the laundry bags.

And it states in the in-cabin books that the only thing they don't accept in the "special" laundry bags is jeans. If they refused to wash anything else, I'd have taken it up with your steward or hotel or housekeeping manager.

They do jeans, my grandson sent his off twice last cruise. The bag is small, but great since its free now. Would never have paid $15 for the small bag though.

Archived