Ray/Shark/Snorkel? Coral Tours? Altun Ha? Please comment

gam888

Heard about an excursions called shark/ray/snorkel or something like that. Just curious, is it scary to swim around sharks? We have one non swimmer in the group, would it look totally silly for an adult to swim with a life jacket on if the tour operator provides one? I heard about Carol Breeze tours. It has mixed reviews cos some people are not thrilled with them subcontracting to Hammerhead tours? Any comments? Considering Altun Ha for August, wondering if it would be really too hot to walk around, we will also be bringing 3 teenagers.....

I would definately not take a non-swimmer on that particular snorkel trip. The current is strong and there is alot of staghorn and fire coral. It was the best snorkel trip we have ever taken though. The sharks are nurse sharks that look like giant catfish. ( 6-8 feet long)The crew actualy chummed the water before we entered the water which created somewhat of a feeding frenzy among the sharks. I initially was too freaked out to jump over the side but my husband did. I was so shocked that he did that I forgot to take his picture among the feeding sharks. The sharks calm down quickly and lay on the bottom. The snorkeling is a drift snorkel which means the boat is moved after you enter the water.The depth ranged between 10 and 40 feet. Have a great time! It is a memorable trip!

Archived