Which Cozumel dock?

SJChaput

Rats!

That is actually the furthest pier from the place I have to meet them (Mega supermaket in margaritaville)

I am wondering though and I wonder if anyone can answer.

We are going to meet Wild Tours near Mega then after the tour they can take us back to Mega OR back to the pier... After the ATV tour we're going to Paradise Beach... Either way I am gonna have to take a taxi there, but anyone know which is closer to PB, Margaritaville or the Puerta Maya pier?

EDIT: OoOooO very nice pictures :)

Also what the heck is Margaritaville, it isn't a town... I know there is a bar there owned by Jummy Buffet by that name... So I just tell the cabbie that I want to go to Mega in Margaritaville?

When did Carnival rebuild the pier and everything else there on shore. I remember see pictures of it after the hurricane destoried it I think in 2005, and them saying it was totally wiped out, and a total lose of like $60,000,000 . Does the new one look about the same as it did before. I would love to see some pictures to see if it does. My wife and I were just think of maybe doing a cruise back to Cozumel in a couple of years.

Just saw the pictures someone posted. Thanks, I didn't know if Carnival would rebuild it of not. It looks pretty good, my wife and I really liked the way it was when we were there is 2003.

I guess its pot luck. In nov 2007 we were at the San Miguel. We say another Carnival ship i think the fasination go to Puerta Maya. In Jan. 2008 we docked at Puerta Maya and there was two carnival ships at San Miguel.

So I say they use both.

As Host Mach pointed out, Margaritaville is located in San Miguel, the main town on Cozumel. The International pier and the Puerta Maya pier are located next to each other a few miles south of town. Paradise Beach is located a several miles farther south just before the start of the Palancar reef.

So to answer your question, the Puerta Maya pier is much closer to Paradise Beach than town. Infact it is the closest pier to Paradise Beach. According to the taxi fare schedule in Mach's photo you should expect to pay $7 for the cab to town for up to 4 people, and $13 from the pier to Paradise Beach each way for up to 4 people. (plus tip ofcourse)

cozumel_map.jpg

I guess its pot luck. In nov 2007 we were at the San Miguel. We say another Carnival ship i think the fasination go to Puerta Maya. In Jan. 2008 we docked at Puerta Maya and there was two carnival ships at San Miguel.

So I say they use both.

Carnival Corp developed the Puerta Maya pier. Unfortunately the pier was completely destroyed by Hurricane Wilma in October of 2005. It took three full years or legal wrangling and work for the pier to reopen which it did late in 2008. The Puerta Maya facility can accommodate two cruise ships so on the occasional day (usually a Thursday or Friday) when Carnival has more than two ships scheduled to call, one may dock in Town or at the International pier if space is available. Baring another disaster Carnival ships will dock at Puerta Maya first.

In February 2008 we docked at the International pier alongside the RCCL Navigator of the Seas. The Puerta Maya pier next door had new pilings but construction on the pier itself had not yet begun. Perhaps you are confusing the International pier with the Puerta Maya pier?

2266902030080888825S600x600Q85.jpg

What a wealth of great information thank you all so much.

So Margaritaville is located in San Miguel... Is it just a bar?

The ticket to my ATV tour says to meet IN Margaritaville outside Mega Supermarket.

Kinda strange wording considering it is just a place of business and not a town or anything.

Uh-oh....now I'm confused too! Last year when we were on the Triumph we got off the ship in Cozumel, walked across the pier, caught a cab to Nachi Cocum....afterward had a cab drop us off at Carlos & Charlies, where we also stopped at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, then did a little shopping, and afterward walked back over the pier and right to the ship. That was in September 2008. Are we going to be on a different pier this time? If so, is the Carnival pier near those places too? Or will we end up with another taxi ride? (We are going to Nachi Cocum again, would like to stop at the same places afterward as last year)

On this map of San Miguel, locate the Punta Langosta pier. If you look just to the right above the number 20 you will see the mega-mart. Margaritaville is across Calle 11 where this map shows a soccer field.

map7-09.gif

Uh-oh....now I'm confused too! Last year when we were on the Triumph we got off the ship in Cozumel, walked across the pier, caught a cab to Nachi Cocum....afterward had a cab drop us off at Carlos & Charlies, where we also stopped at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, then did a little shopping, and afterward walked back over the pier and right to the ship. That was in September 2008. Are we going to be on a different pier this time? If so, is the Carnival pier near those places too? Or will we end up with another taxi ride? (We are going to Nachi Cocum again, would like to stop at the same places afterward as last year)

The Puerta Maya pier reopened on October 16th 2008. You docked at Punta Langosta in San Miguel. If you sailed a month later you would have docked at Puerta Maya.

What a wealth of great information thank you all so much.

So Margaritaville is located in San Miguel... Is it just a bar?

The ticket to my ATV tour says to meet IN Margaritaville outside Mega Supermarket.

Kinda strange wording considering it is just a place of business and not a town or anything.

I'm guessin' you're not familiar with Jimmy Buffett...

This is Margaritaville, Cozume:

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg

The Puerta Maya pier reopened on October 16th 2008. You docked at Punta Langosta in San Miguel. If you sailed a month later you would have docked at Puerta Maya.

Thanks for clearing that up....so now I'm wondering, where is Puerta Maya in relation to this map? Is it walking distance to the Punta Langosta area, or are there other restaurants and shopping there? If we have to go to the Puerta Maya area, is it easy and economical to find a cab?

Hehe I know the Buffet song and new that he had a bar in Cozumel but the way the ticket mentioned it I thought was strange.

So now that I know they are right across from eachother they are saying we're meeting IN Margaritaville (the bar) across from Mega.

So that was all cleared up.

:)

Thanks for clearing that up....so now I'm wondering, where is Puerta Maya in relation to this map? Is it walking distance to the Punta Langosta area, or are there other restaurants and shopping there? If we have to go to the Puerta Maya area, is it easy and economical to find a cab?

One could probably walk from the International pier/Puerta Maya pier to the Punta Langosta pier in less than an hour. I want to guess the distance at about five miles, maybe a little less. For most passengers this is not practicle both for time and physical limitations. In one of the pictures host Mach posted earlier in this thread, cab fare is $7 for up to four people each way between town and the cruise ship piers south of town. The cab ride takes less than 10 minutes.

In the first map I posted you can see "cruise ship pier and ferry" marked as well as "downtown pier"

Hehe I know the Buffet song and new that he had a bar in Cozumel but the way the ticket mentioned it I thought was strange.

So now that I know they are right across from eachother they are saying we're meeting IN Margaritaville (the bar) across from Mega.

So that was all cleared up.

I'm guessing you will meet on the street infront of Margaritaville. Someone from the tour will probably be holding up a sign.

Nifty pic sent as part of my e-ticket to the Wild Tours ATV excursion.

"Meeting point" being in San Miguel.

Untitled-1.jpg

One could probably walk from the International pier/Puerta Maya pier to the Punta Langosta pier in less than an hour. I want to guess the distance at about five miles, maybe a little less. For most passengers this is not practicle both for time and physical limitations. In one of the pictures host Mach posted earlier in this thread, cab fare is $7 for up to four people each way between town and the cruise ship piers south of town. The cab ride takes less than 10 minutes.

In the first map I posted you can see "cruise ship pier and ferry" marked as well as "downtown pier"

I really appreciate all your help...Cozumel is the only port on our Valor itinerary that we have visited before, so I thought I know where I was going there....I sure would have been surprised if I'd not seen this thread first!

So I take it that the Carnival pier is NOT the downtown pier, correct? Is there much to do around the Carnival pier? Maybe we won't go to Carlos & Charlie's, etc. if there's something fun in the Puerta Maya pier area.

It's about three miles but it's three COZUMEL miles... that's like twenty human miles.

Bottom line... it's generally HOT in Cozumel. The hike to San Miguel is doable but you'll spend an hour plus and smell like foo when you get there!!

Last time I was in Coz, February, we spent the day at Playa Mia and got back to the pier at about 3:30. I needed to run into San Miguel to a specific shop and Stitch needed to make a purchase in Margaritaville. I hired a cabby to takes, wait at each stop then haul us back. Cost me $20...

No it is not walking distance from each other. It is very easy to get a cab in Coz. There are restaurants and shopping at both.

I really appreciate all your help...Cozumel is the only port on our Valor itinerary that we have visited before, so I thought I know where I was going there....I sure would have been surprised if I'd not seen this thread first!

So I take it that the Carnival pier is NOT the downtown pier, correct? Is there much to do around the Carnival pier? Maybe we won't go to Carlos & Charlie's, etc. if there's something fun in the Puerta Maya pier area.

Take a few minutes to wander around the Puerta Maya pier website:

http://www.puertamaya.com/default.aspx

Thanks! This map answers the first half of my last question, which I was typing before I saw the map..... :rolleyes:

That map is incredibly misleading. While one could walk between the International pier and the Puerta Maya pier in three minutes it would take an hour to walk to Margaritaville. It is a few miles from the Internation/Puerta Maya piers to Margaritaville and town.

Punta Langosta pier is the pier in Downtown. (San Miguel)

International pier is a few miles south of downtown.

Puerta Maya pier is next to and just south of the International pier.

All three piers have shops and restaurants within the pier complex as well as a transportaion center on the street side of the pier complex.

Archived