Any Good News to Report on the Veendam

alohadad

We were on Veendam 5/24 to 5/31 SB Seward/Vancouver. Had a nice time. There are several reviews of the Veendam on the Alaska run in May and June in the review section of this site. Have a look. We had no difficulties at all and had a pleasant experience. Hope you enjoy.:D

I notice that when some folks have a problem at the beginning of their trip --- usually air and transfers --- that nothing ever improves thereafter and the ship takes the hit. Not really fair, but that's the traveler for ya.

We sailed on her 7/12-7/19 Vancouver-Seward Alaska NB. I was apprehensive because of the immediate post-drydock reviews, especially about deterioration in service attitude, unfinished areas, malfunctioning plumbing, inattentive dining room service, and dirty window exteriors, but found each of these to have been either overblown in the first place or largely dealt with by the time we sailed.

Not that everything was perfect, but it never has been. There was a gross, unexplainable error in luggage delivery. There was one toilet backup and one period of widespread toilet unavailablilty, both cleared up pretty quickly. The one persistent, out of the ordinary problem was an unusually high rate of out of service or bizarrely behaving (as in, among other things, repeated refusal to stop at certain floors) elevators. However, I was able to find a well functioning elevator quickly enough in all cases to never make this more than a minor annoyance.

But on the whole, the ship interior looked great and service was outstandingly cheerful and anticipatory of needs. In particular, the look of the new showroom and the show quality exceeded my expectations, and the line to table dish carrying service at the Lido at breakfast and lunch was outstanding, making us forget any irritation over the lack of trays. Often I was surprised to see my dishes taken directly from the servers hands to table.

No reason to have any special apprehension about this ship any more, i don't think.

We sailed on her 7/12-7/19 Vancouver-Seward Alaska NB. I was apprehensive because of the immediate post-drydock reviews, especially about deterioration in service attitude, unfinished areas, malfunctioning plumbing, inattentive dining room service, and dirty window exteriors, but found each of these to have been either overblown in the first place or largely dealt with by the time we sailed.

Not that everything was perfect, but it never has been. There was a gross, unexplainable error in luggage delivery. There was one toilet backup and one period of widespread toilet unavailablilty, both cleared up pretty quickly. The one persistent, out of the ordinary problem was an unusually high rate of out of service or bizarrely behaving (as in, among other things, repeated refusal to stop at certain floors) elevators. However, I was able to find a well functioning elevator quickly enough in all cases to never make this more than a minor annoyance.

But on the whole, the ship interior looked great and service was outstandingly cheerful and anticipatory of needs. In particular, the look of the new showroom and the show quality exceeded my expectations, and the line to table dish carrying service at the Lido at breakfast and lunch was outstanding, making us forget any irritation over the lack of trays. Often I was surprised to see my dishes taken directly from the servers hands to table.

No reason to have any special apprehension about this ship any more, i don't think.

Thanks for the update!!

Very much appreciated.

Archived