Glory review 7/18-25/09...Best Vacation EVER

hayesktrm

I guess we were really lucky regarding service. Our room steward was great...and he had to deal with my DS sleeping late. He always had a big smile on his face and did a great job on our cabin. Our server was incredible. He got us anything and everything we asked for. He was like magic--one of us would say "oooh, that looks good" and he would just happen to have an extra on hand. We did have a problem with our drink service in the dining room, but it seems they never have enough servers for the bar regardless of what cruise line we have gone on. Outside the servers would ask us if we wanted something to drink almost every 5 minutes. Why couldn't they move some of those people into the dining room?

We went to guest services a couple of times and they were able to answer all our questions.

I guess we were just UNlucky this cruise. My 82 year old Mom ordered cereal from Room Service and got no bowl or utensils. When we ordered coffee, plenty of splenda, equal, etc. but NO sugar. When my husband tried to call to set up something in the Dining Room for our 20th Anniversary, the Purser's Desk said it wasn't their job, the Dining Room didn't answer, the waiter was told but forgot, etc. :mad: We NEVER got refills on our drinks without having to ask, and that wasn't just at dinner. When my son asked about adding something to his meal, we were told the "line" was closed. Our waiter didn't go out of his way to do ANYTHING. He was very polite, but didn't do anything extra and barely the minimum. The only night we received any "extra" service was when we were in port and many tables didn't show up. We hardly ever saw our Room Steward. I asked my Mom's steward for a lot of what we needed. It was not what we have experienced on our other cruises.:( This is when it's hard for me to have someone TELL me that we need to grade them as EXCEEDS expectations. It didn't even meet our expectations this trip. Thus, my interest in other lines.

Wow, you were unlucky. I, too, would be upset. When we ordered from room service, we got even more than we ordered (I hope we didn't get your sugar, lol). I had to specify on mornings after that to only bring exactly what we wanted because I felt guilty that things were going uneaten.

our dining room was platinum, found it easy to get to-i ran up and down the stairs to get rid of my ""food babies". we had table 516 by a window, julian from rominia was our waiter, he was great and even danced with our daughter.

only saw him twice-once the first day, and the night before we left, i swear he had a bell on our room and as soon as we left for breakfast he cleaned our room. he turned down our beds every night and left great towel animals. the 2nd day our sink wasn't draining and my husband asked someone in the hall and twenty minutes later it was fixed. don't get me wrong some things annoyed us-RYAN, always rah rah clap clap at every event for the crew that gets paid to be there, fat people at the buffet, parents who let their little angels run wild and smash icecream cones in the elevators. but overall we loved the cruise

hayesktrm-

If I recall correctly you mentioned on the roll call thread that you are from Carmel Indiana. Yes? I live in Brownsburg and my youngest daughter (Rachel) spent some time hanging out with a girl named named Meaghan that lives in Carmel. Is that your daughter?

Mike

Wow, you were unlucky. I, too, would be upset. When we ordered from room service, we got even more than we ordered (I hope we didn't get your sugar, lol). I had to specify on mornings after that to only bring exactly what we wanted because I felt guilty that things were going uneaten.

Thanks for saying that. We were beginning to wonder if the service has gone down on Carnival. Then we didn't know whether to mention it to someone or what. They go on and on about the Comment Cards. Is it best to give them the correct grade on that (for us it wouldn't have been the highest) or express concern to someone along the way. I actually thought I might talk to Ryan about our service but even though I waited on him after one of the meetings, he kept talking to guests and I never could get to him. (Years ago, some friends on another ship had some problems with the kids camp and the cruise director said if they had come to him earlier in the cruise, he would have addressed the issue. ) We didn't want to get our waiter in trouble.

We really did have a good time but just felt like the service was "blah" instead of special. Our kids had a blast!

our dining room was platinum, found it easy to get to-i ran up and down the stairs to get rid of my ""food babies". we had table 516 by a window, julian from rominia was our waiter, he was great and even danced with our daughter.

Glad you had a good experience!

If you were located on the back half of the ship, the Platinum was probably fine. For those of us on the front end, especially upper decks, it's a stretch and quite a few flights of stairs to be going up and down from the 10th and 11th Deck to 3. I would only request Golden if on the front end of the ship. Not sure how they place people in what dining rooms, but two years ago we were on Spa Deck and they put us in Platinum Dining Room. I just feel like the arrangement of the ship isn't as good as on some of the others we've been on because of the dining rooms.

What deck were you on? I hope it wasn't my kids at 11:45 p.m. but I KNOW it wasn't my kids at 4:15 a.m.! Ours had a curfew and complained that many kids didn't. Would love to hear your comments on your trip.

I think you said you were on 11...we were on deck 10 starboard...There was also a group of ladies that walked down our hall every night between 11:00 and 11:30 that were having a nice chat and laugh.....We had a GREAT room steward and great service in the dining room- table 170 Golden lower...We had a good time as always but my wife said the slot machines were pretty tight....Dennis

hayesktrm-

If I recall correctly you mentioned on the roll call thread that you are from Carmel Indiana. Yes? I live in Brownsburg and my youngest daughter (Rachel) spent some time hanging out with a girl named named Meaghan that lives in Carmel. Is that your daughter?

Mike

Mike--yes, that was our Megan. Megan had a great time hanging out with Rachel and Alicia (or is it Allisa?).

I think you said you were on 11...we were on deck 10 starboard...There was also a group of ladies that walked down our hall every night between 11:00 and 11:30 that were having a nice chat and laugh.....We had a GREAT room steward and great service in the dining room- table 170 Golden lower...We had a good time as always but my wife said the slot machines were pretty tight....Dennis

Dennis, are you the school board member we met at breakfast one morning? If so, I was the one who works with special needs kids. We enjoyed having breakfast with you if you are the same Dennis from TN.

Karen

My wife and I were on Glory 7/18/09, for the 2nd time. We had aft cabin 6452. It was a corner cabin with wrap around balcony. The cabin was large with a huge balcony. The only drawback to being in an aft cabin is the long walk to everywhere. Our room steward was great and very attentive. We were at table 175 in the Golden dining room. Our head waiter, Gener, and his assistant were great. Our glasses were refilled as needed and service was excellent. Although we had some rain, we made the best of it and had a wonderful vacation. We toured with Godfrey in St Thomas and Bernard in St Maarten. Both tours were great, with the exception of the tight seats in Bernard's bus. My wife agrees the slots on the boat are tight, although a few people managed to win some money on some slots. Unfortunately, my wife wasn't one of them. This was our 3rd time on Carnival, and our 4th will be in October. We cruised once with Royal but my wife vowed NEVER to cruise with them again. We like Carnival. Everything is not perfect, but you make the best of what you get. My wife and I agree that coming back from a cruise vacation is depressing. Reality IS a big slap in the face after being catered too for 7 days.

100_4324.jpg.241fd57223f00a287588092a1e735453.jpg

100_4325.jpg.19884ad9686f7f74ec36853c2bb75210.jpg

100_4387.jpg.bdecba46e197024d9c4a9babc141a049.jpg

100_4323.jpg.57be956df8c9001da095c35fd3daea2e.jpg

100_4326.jpg.4a27399ae976d9bcdb98383fb4952bcc.jpg

Mike--yes, that was our Megan. Megan had a great time hanging out with Rachel and Alicia (or is it Allisa?).

Rachel and Alyssa enjoyed spending time with Megan. They both thought it was cool to be far away from home yet meet someone that lives so close to them. Both my girls took lots of pictures last week and I know Megan is in several of them. I'd be happy to send you copies if you'd like. Just PM me your email address.

Mike

Our "On Deck for the Cure" was a bit unorganized. Nobody from Carnival came at the time it was supposed to start so we just started walking. People took pictures and they did eventually show up and even brought us some fruit punch about halfway through.

Nice review. We were onboard with you. In fact, I was the guy taking pictures with everyone's cameras during the On Deck for the Cure walk!:D

Just now starting to post my review. And why weren't you at our meet and greet? :eek:

Steve

Rachel and Alyssa enjoyed spending time with Megan. They both thought it was cool to be far away from home yet meet someone that lives so close to them. Both my girls took lots of pictures last week and I know Megan is in several of them. I'd be happy to send you copies if you'd like. Just PM me your email address.

Mike

I would love the pictures...how do I PM you?

Nice review. We were onboard with you. In fact, I was the guy taking pictures with everyone's cameras during the On Deck for the Cure walk!:D

Just now starting to post my review. And why weren't you at our meet and greet? :eek:

Steve

I remember you taking pictures.

As for the meet and greet...I hadn't seen my friend in a year and her husband and girls in 4 years so we were eager to spend some time with them. Did you all have a good time? We saw Fishlips when we were coming back to Port Canaveral. It looks like a fun place.

[quote name='hayesktrm']I would love the pictures...how do I PM you?[/quote]

Good question. I just assumed that CC supported private messages. After searching through the forums it appears that this feature is disabled. You can email me by throwing an @gmail.com on the end of my forum name. We took over 1,600 pictures so I probably won't go through them until this weekend but I'll send all the pictures of Megan I can find.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
I was on this cruise as well, didn't get to make it to the meet and greet (really regret that). We had a great time, coming back to reality really sucks! This was my second cruise with Carnival (1st in 2001) this one was so much better than the first. We met so many wonderful people, the live music was awesome, loved the piano bar and Russell and I won the free cruise on the last night (definitely added to the fun)! Food was good you could always fine something you liked, we had an interior room this time (fine b/c I was never in it) Our room steward was wonderful no matter how many showers we took a day there was always clean towels, our beds always turned down and of course towel animals. Will post a full review later, just wanted to say Hello to all my fellow cruisers from Glory. Erin:D

[quote name='mbkintner']Good question. I just assumed that CC supported private messages. After searching through the forums it appears that this feature is disabled. You can email me by throwing an @gmail.com on the end of my forum name. We took over 1,600 pictures so I probably won't go through them until this weekend but I'll send all the pictures of Megan I can find.

Mike[/quote]

I sent you an email like you described above b/c I want to get some photos to you, so if you don't get it please let me know on here. Thanks, Erin:D

[quote name='rosebud1g']Did they still have the chocolate fountain at the lunch buffet near
the end of the week on the Glory? We are leaving this week
for the Freedom and my daughter is hoping they still have it. It was
to die for!!!![/quote]

Yes there was a chocolate fountain along with the chocolate buffet, it was one of the last two days.:)

Archived