Dawn to Bermuda 7/19 to 7/26

shecara

Having not stepped foot on a cruise boat yet but having traveled well otherwise, I can say this - being from NYC, I know there are a few things I'll never eat while traveling without expecting to be disappointed:

- Chinese food

- Italian food

- Pizza (and bread)

- Deli sandwiches

There are some exceptions (when I went to Naples I did eat the pizza ;), but in general those foods in NYC are so outstanding that you don't stand a chance when on the road.

I'm hoping the cruise food is good, but I've got managed expectations. I went to a Sandals in Antigua a few years ago, that had rave reviews before I got there. The food was worse than a Sizzlers for the most part, despite the fact that we paid a nice chunk of change to go there.

I will say that the buffet food was a step above Sizzler! There were some odd things on there though. The last 2 days in Bermuda, they had something that was labeled "Sweet Italian Sausage". We all swore it was Kielbasa in a sweet and sour sauce, nothing like any italian sausage I ever tasted

Just goes to show, Barb, how subjective food is. I loved the lobster ravioli and couldn't wait to go back to Impressions to have it again. This is the first I'm hearing that Teppanyaki offered an included martini!!!???!!! We skipped it this past cruise (we like it, but there are just so many nights in a cruise :(), but might not have had I known. Great deal!

Hi Mooder,

I did like trying the lobster ravioli - wasn't quite prepared for the brown sauce but it was tasty. But last time on the Jade I had the chicken parm and it was really good (and I've had it a couple times when it was just average).

Also tried the lobster tacos in Salsa's. I might order them again although I really do like the steak fajitas.:D

On the Jade in June they offered a martini w/teppanyaki. I don't know if it's unique to that ship as it was the first I had heard of it, too. Believe it or not, I've never had a martini.:eek::rolleyes:;) Then again, only tried escargots a couple of years ago and now I love them!

LOL...if you want to get subjective, let's talk Dave Heenan. We've seen him several times on NCL (mostly the Dawn) and we find him really funny even if repetitive. But I read other opinions here to avoid him.

BTW, I keep wondering why you're no longer Bermuder.:)

Hi Mooder' date='

I did like trying the lobster ravioli - wasn't quite prepared for the brown sauce but it was tasty. But last time on the Jade I had the chicken parm and it was really good (and I've had it a couple times when it was just average).

Also tried the lobster tacos in Salsa's. I might order them again although I really do like the steak fajitas.:D

On the Jade in June they offered a martini w/teppanyaki. I don't know if it's unique to that ship as it was the first I had heard of it, too. Believe it or not, I've never had a martini.:eek::rolleyes:;) Then again, only tried escargots a couple of years ago and now I love them!

LOL...if you want to get subjective, let's talk Dave Heenan. We've seen him several times on NCL (mostly the Dawn) and we find him really funny even if repetitive. But I read other opinions here to avoid him.

BTW, I keep wondering why you're no longer Bermuder.:)[/quote']

Mooder sort of became my nickname, thanks to AWinkler "Wink", and when I was planning my Bermuda cruise and on the Bermuda board a lot more, I became nervous that people assumed I was a Bermuda expert, which I am NOT. So, I decided it was time to change it. Mostly, for fun!

I really enjoyed the lobster tacos. It's interesting, I dont' really enjoy lobster on its own - I'd rather have crab - but in something like tacos or ravioli and I love it!

Dave Heenan is a great example of subjective. He gave me a few chuckles, but I found him way too repetetive and a lot of his jokes either very old or just not funny. So, we didn't go to his show during our June cruise (and we never miss a show!). I'm glad you enjoyed him - lots of people clearly did. A co-worker of mine was on the Dawn in May and still talks about how much he enjoyed him. I will say he was very pleasant when we ran into him around the ship, very friendly.

So, you didn't finally have a martini on the Jade? Too bad they don't offer doggie bags, you could have brought me yours. LOL :D

It just comes down to that there is good and bad with either option.

NCL freestyle: I like being able to go to dinner when and where I want. I waited one night out of 12 on my last cruise, so we just opted to sit with strangers and we sat down right away. They also give you beepers that go off when your table is ready...in case you want to wander away.

set dining times on other cruises: people will complain about this too. Even though there is never a wait to eat...you still have to rush back from ports if you want to be ready for the early seating option or you have to eat at the later time. So I don't see that being 100% wonderful either.

if you don't want to wait for a table...then go to dinner at 6pm, which is when you would go another cruiseline anyway...imho

Sorry, if my interest in other offerings is offensive, but the "fast food" type of stuff got tiring after 3 days it would have been nice to have other options. Frankly, I do not remember what was offered on past cruises during the same time frame, but I do not ever recall wanting for something different to eat on a cruise.

Mike I absolutely agree with you, on past cruises with other lines we were always able to find something to eat somewhere when we came back on the ship after a day on shore or at night after a show whether it be at 24 hour pizza, a burger or hot dog and french fries from the grill, self serve ice cream, desserts in the buffet, etc, etc. On the Dawn it seemed like it was always the wrong time for food wherever I went -- I was only able to hit the soft serve ice cream once at the right time during the entire 7 days. It seemed that the Bimini Grill was only opened certain hours, you couldn't just grab a burger when you wanted one (i.e. late lunch upon returning from a day at the beach). The buffet was closed at 9:30, no dessert to be found after the late show. The Blue Lagoon had limited seating and waitress service only. Often times I like to just grab a piece of cake at night after a show.

I'd hardly call it anger. And, this is my opinion, whether you agree with it or not. Perhaps, as a first time cruiser, I just don't know the ropes. Give me a break. If I decide to try a cruise again, I've learned something and know what to avoid, trying different times for dinner, etc.

Thank you for your thoughts.

• 3 weeks later...

I think before you rule out cruising all together, you should try another line with traditional dining. In my opinion, people either love freestyle, or they don't. Like everything on this board, its all a matter of opinion. I've done both types of dining on cruises, and I like freestyle a lot more than traditional. I met several people on my last Royal Caribbean cruise who swore by traditional dining and would never consider freestyle. Either way, I hope you enjoyed your cruise. I'm heading to Bermuda next week and cant' wait! :-)

Having not stepped foot on a cruise boat yet but having traveled well otherwise, I can say this - being from NYC, I know there are a few things I'll never eat while traveling without expecting to be disappointed:

- Chinese food

- Italian food

- Pizza (and bread)

- Deli sandwiches

There are some exceptions (when I went to Naples I did eat the pizza ;), but in general those foods in NYC are so outstanding that you don't stand a chance when on the road.

I'm hoping the cruise food is good, but I've got managed expectations. I went to a Sandals in Antigua a few years ago, that had rave reviews before I got there. The food was worse than a Sizzlers for the most part, despite the fact that we paid a nice chunk of change to go there.

I don't think you could go wrong with San Francisco for Chinese and Italian, I think it's outstanding there. I agree regarding the cruise food though, I'm not expecting much but hoping to be surprised.

I've taken over 30 cruises on a half dozen or more cruise lines, so I'll refresh your memory...the other cruises offered nothing more than what you are deriding as "fast food" during that time. Is it NCL's fault that you failed to notice there was food offered in the buffet at that hour? And surely you would never have had to eat the same thing twice in the course of a 7 day cruise, even with your perceived lack of variety.

Just wanted to jump in here: I was on the 8/2 sailing and MagicMike is right: no food on the buffet between 3 and 5. Only options were room service (long waits) and Blue Lagoon. I usually wound up going down to Blue Lagoon and taking it "to go" back to my room, cause I didnt want to wait. Also, the one thing my son loves about cruising is the chocolate chip cookies, and the ones on this ship were no exception, only thing is they didnt always have them. Seemed like once the buffet was closed or once they ran out, that was it:(

Archived