Shopping with the chef in the Med....

margbem

...has anyone done this? We stop at Elba, Corsica, Livorno, Portofino and Portovenere. Has anyone done these ports and gone shopping with the chef? I would love to do this. Does it still happen?

"Shopping with the Chef" is one of my favorite excursions! When you board stop at the Purser Desk and inquire as to the port which the Chef will be inviting Guests to join him.

The 1st time I shopped with the Chef was in Ponte Delgada in 2001 ~~only 4 of us......the Chef, the Port Agent, a good friend of mine and myself. What an adventure!:p

You'll throughly enjoy your day!

Martita B.

I have shopped with the chef a couple of times... a Very LIMITED group will go, selecting fresh ingredients from the local fare. That evening a special dinner is served to the participants... Really great..!

Enjoy!

Host Dan

Another idea is to leave a message with the Purser that you'd like to visit with the Executive Chef. He'll contact you and then you can make arrangements with him directly.

The times I've been shopping, the Chef's will encourage the Guests to pick up foods they like then he purchases these.

It's a "not to be missed" day ~hopefully he'll do some shopping in the open markets.

Have fun!

MB

• 6 months later...

I did it in Funchal last November on the Legend crossing, and it was WAY too many people...virtually a bus load. It was not what I expected....:( I didn't know they would allow so many people to attempt it.

I"d do it in a heartbeat with 5-10 people; otherwise...it's impossible to get "up close & personal" with the chef, or the vendors.

Paul ;)

I have done a few of these shopping with the chef tours and some have been better than others. In Vietnam the group was large and while it was wonderful to see the market it was not the same as a tour I did with the chef in Turkey where we were a group of 5 and the chef took us to the fish market and then to his favourite coffee shop where we tried the local coffee and sweets.

In my experience if the port of call has lots of excursions on offer the chef's tour is usually a small group but if the port has limited excursions then many passengers opt for the chef's tour and the group will be large.

We had a fairly large group in Vietnam last year, but the chef made sure everyone knew what was going on. He picked out the exotic fruits and vegetables, held them up to the group and talked ab out them, cut samples and passed them to each passenger, went to various stalls to bargain for specific items and explained to us why he preferred these stalls for those items. He also took us through the fish part of the market and showed us the varieties for sale. Everyone had an opportunity to see and hear and the same time, and everyone agreed it was a great marketing experience. That evening everyone got a sample of the fruits in their suite, and the fish was on the menu.

I have been shopping with the chef twice -- once in Palma de Majorca and recently on our cruise in Central America. Actually on this trip it was one of the few things Seabourn handled poorly. When I embarked I was told at the pursers office that there would not be a shopping with the chef on this trip. Almost a week later I was attending Chef Thorsten's cooking demo and he mentioned shopping with the chef upcoming in Panama City. Immediately afterward a few of us went to the Pursers office only now to be told the excursion was fully booked. I then tracked down the HotMan and told him how poorly this was handled and how very disappointed we were. He said that he was sorry but that it was fairly filled on a first come first serve basis. When I countered that there was nothing fair about it because all passengers did not have equal access he was very unsmpathetic -- something I rarely encounter on Seabourn. In any event i later appealed to the chef and he agreed to let us add on. Frankly i think Seabourn should announce it in the first day's Herald. They should let everyone interested sign up and if too many do they could do a lotteey.Then ALL passengers would have any equal chance.In any event it was fun going to the fish market and the meat market (where we could only look but not buy -- and I saw somthing have never seen before -- will not give the details so I don't ruin anyones appetite.)

Chairsin

In 11 years of sailing Seabourn I've never heard of such a "Chef's shopping fiasco" ~~I believe the complimentary excursion is planned by the Hotel Manager and the on board Travel Manager. I can well understand your frustration and disappointment.

I've tagged along many times with the Chef and his helper ~~once there were 4 of us (Ponte Delgada) but most trips there have been more than 15. I agree the shopping excursion should be announced in the Herald. Then those that sign up will be assured a seat on the bus~~no one should be turned away or told "no" ~~it's not the Seabourn way ~

Martita B.

Martha, the chef was quite nice and apologetic about the whole matter -- the attitude of the Hotman( Marcel) quite another matter and I guess that is what set me off.Trust me -- when I get my IRISH up!!!!

Chairsin

Knowing Captain Anderssen very well I would be willing to make a small wager he knew nothing about the mismanaged Chef's shopping excursion ~~(I've seen him in action when his Guests were disappointed!)

Martita B.

But, as you know, Captains have BIG ears and usually know most everything that is happening around the ship ~

I, like you, would never distrub the Master over an excursion ~~just a few questions as to sudden "rogue waves!" ha ha:eek:

MB

Archived