Mariner of the Seas 8/30/2009

ken987

Hi,

My husband and I just booked this cruise. We were originally going to Bermuda...but this looked like too much fun to pass up. We actually are getting a better class of room and since we are using miles to get to LA we now have a long weekend in Vegas before the cruise and it's still cheaper than the original plan to Bermuda.

Chime in if you are going. I searched the boards and found nothing so far here. We are 47 and 45 and we have been together 17 years. We are from Boston so we are fortunate that we could get married 5 years ago when it became legal in MA.

Looking forward to making new acquaintances. This is our 2nd cruise. Our first was a Pied Piper on the Solstice last December.

Ken and Jeff

Hello Ken and Jeff. See you on board. I've talked my family in joining me (Mother, brother, wife & 2 kids) on this sailing (their first cruise). It's a wonderful ship with lots to do. David

Hi,

My husband and I just booked this cruise. We were originally going to Bermuda...but this looked like too much fun to pass up. We actually are getting a better class of room and since we are using miles to get to LA we now have a long weekend in Vegas before the cruise and it's still cheaper than the original plan to Bermuda.

Chime in if you are going. I searched the boards and found nothing so far here. We are 47 and 45 and we have been together 17 years. We are from Boston so we are fortunate that we could get married 5 years ago when it became legal in MA.

Looking forward to making new acquaintances. This is our 2nd cruise. Our first was a Pied Piper on the Solstice last December.

Ken and Jeff

Hi Ken,

Just to let you know my friend Chris and I will be joining you on this cruise. Chris is 43 and I'm 54. Chris is from San Francisco and I make my home in SoCal. I understand a group of the Cruise Critic folks are meeting up in the Schooner Bar at 3:00 p.m. the first day. We'll be there and hope to meet up with you and Jeff.

Dan

Hello Ken and Jeff. See you on board. I've talked my family in joining me (Mother, brother, wife & 2 kids) on this sailing (their first cruise). It's a wonderful ship with lots to do. David

David,

I'm sorry I didn't mean to ignore you on the last post. I look forward to possibly meeting up with you too. It sounds like we're going to have a great bunch of people joining us on this trip. Maybe you can enlighten us on three Mariner voyages in one year. We're counting on you to give us the inside scoop on what to do.

Dan

Hi all,

Yes we can meet up there at 3pm. They also have the CC meet and mingle we registered for if that is the same thing...Looks like David's cruise resume is quite impressive.

Ken

Ken,

Have you decided what you're going to do in each port? Chris and I are thinking about splitting our time between the beach and ziplining; however, we're not quite sure what to do where. Any thoughts? The Diana's Tours cruise in Puerto Vallarta sounds like a possibility. I was watching the T.V. tonight and caught a piece on the Cabo Canyon Canopy Tour, which looks rather interesting if you're into doing something challenging and adventurous. In addition to ziplines, the tour includes rock climbing, suspension bridges, etc. Here's a link. Check out the pictures too. http://www.cabo-adventures.com/canopy-tour/zipline-safety.htm They appear to go to great lengths to keep things safe.

Dan

countdown.pl?name=aquatwin&date=8-30-2009%E2%84%91=Beach-10&text=&ship=Mariner%20of%20the%20Seas

countdown.pl?name=aquatwin&date=8-30-2009%E2%84%91=Beach-10&text=&ship=Mariner%20of%20the%20Seas

Ken,

Have you decided what you're going to do in each port? Chris and I are thinking about splitting our time between the beach and ziplining; however, we're not quite sure what to do where. Any thoughts? The Diana's Tours cruise in Puerto Vallarta sounds like a possibility. I was watching the T.V. tonight and caught a piece on the Cabo Canyon Canopy Tour, which looks rather interesting if you're into doing something challenging and adventurous. In addition to ziplines, the tour includes rock climbing, suspension bridges, etc. Here's a link. Check out the pictures too. http://www.cabo-adventures.com/canopy-tour/zipline-safety.htm They appear to go to great lengths to keep things safe.

Dan

Hey,

In Cabo we were going to do this...

http://www.caboecotours.com/reservations.htm It was highly recommended by a lot of CC members and its on sale $49.95 ...you can kayak and or snorkel and or take a zodiac tour.....we would just snorkel...Jeff will just stay on the boat. He probably won't get in the ocean. Plus he refuses to zip line...he has a thing about heights...

We don't have plans for the other 2 port days yet...still doing research.

Plus...we get into LAX at 8am the day of the cruise....we are taking a short flight from LAS....so if we don't go right to the boat...does anyone know of what we should do for a bit? We have never been to LA and would like to do something toursity...or even a bit to eat somewhere famous.....

We have never been to LA and would like to do something toursity...or even a bit to eat somewhere famous.....

You can rent a car from Enterprise at LAX and drop it off at San Pedro (the only rental car agency near the dock). The drop off fee is $40 and there is a tram that takes you to the dock (less than 10 minutes away). That way you can drive wherever you care to at your pace and see a sight or two. Most touristy things are north of LAX and San Pedro is south. You'll have to allow yourselves plenty of time to get the dock by 3:00/3:30. You could check out the original Queen Mary ship which is about 15 minutes away from the San Pedro dock, in Long Beach...

If you don't rent a car, Super Schuttle is about $17 per person from LAX to the dock. Specify San Pedro, not Long Beach. David

You can rent a car from Enterprise at LAX and drop it off at San Pedro (the only rental car agency near the dock). The drop off fee is $40 and there is a tram that takes you to the dock (less than 10 minutes away). That way you can drive wherever you care to at your pace and see a sight or two. Most touristy things are north of LAX and San Pedro is south. You'll have to allow yourselves plenty of time to get the dock by 3:00/3:30. You could check out the original Queen Mary ship which is about 15 minutes away from the San Pedro dock, in Long Beach...

If you don't rent a car, Super Schuttle is about $17 per person from LAX to the dock. Specify San Pedro, not Long Beach. David

Thanks for the info.....I have no idea what traffic would be like on a Sunday morning around 9am..but it sounds like our best bet would be to go right to the port and brave the long lines to get on the ship. We are not part of any reward program...(2nd cruise ever, 1st on RCCL) but I didn't know about the Shuttle...so we shall do that and then explore our ship! Is it possible to be TOO early...what time will they let us get on line for the ship that morning....

Ken

Is it possible to be TOO early...what time will they let us get on line for the ship that morning....Ken

IMHO it is never TOO early to be at the dock. If nothing else, you can stare at the huge ship and get excited with anticipation! The last passengers to leave from the prior cruise are usually off by 10:30/11:00, and actual boarding can begin as early as 11:00. The check-in process usually starts around 9:30/10:00 and there is never much of a line at that hour. You may have to loiter outside the cruise terminal with some other early arrivals before they let you in the building, but it's not bad (rain is not in the forcast ;)). David

Hello everyone,

My partner and I just booked this cruise. Eric is 46 and I’m 51; we also celebrated our 17th anniversary together a couple months ago and this will be our 10th cruise. This past year we moved to Palm Springs CA from the New York City area and we are currently trying to acclimate ourselves to the desert heat. We thought it would be nice to get out over the ocean again and relax for a week.

-Dale and Eric

Hello everyone,

My partner and I just booked this cruise. Eric is 46 and I’m 51; we also celebrated our 17th anniversary together a couple months ago and this will be our 10th cruise. This past year we moved to Palm Springs CA from the New York City area and we are currently trying to acclimate ourselves to the desert heat. We thought it would be nice to get out over the ocean again and relax for a week.

-Dale and Eric

Welcome Dale & Eric - Chris and I look forward to meeting you onboard. Sounds like most of us are in the same age group (40's and 50's).

Thanks for the info.....I have no idea what traffic would be like on a Sunday morning around 9am..but it sounds like our best bet would be to go right to the port and brave the long lines to get on the ship. We are not part of any reward program...(2nd cruise ever, 1st on RCCL) but I didn't know about the Shuttle...so we shall do that and then explore our ship! Is it possible to be TOO early...what time will they let us get on line for the ship that morning....

Ken

Ken, Sunday mornings in L.A. are generally the lightest traffic-wise. However, having said that, David is right--you can never get down to the dock too early. From the airport, it's about a 30 minute ride to San Pedro.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Question....Would it be "fun" to drive around the area for 2-3 hours? We found a limo company that would drive us around for 70 bucks for 2 hours...3rd hour is 25bucks more. Then they would drop us off at the pier.

Is there anything worth seeing at that time of the morning? Or is there a must go to breakfast place that would be unique or fun to do that morning. I know we can drive by the Queen Mary and pay homage but I don't know if Jeff would appreciate it as much as I would.

Ken

I'm the Eric of Eric and Dale (see Nyx above). We're really looking forward to getting away from the heat of the desert and spending some time at sea.

I saw mention of a 3:00 fuction in the Schooner bar on sail out day. Is that a Cruise Critic function? Should we arrange a gay "meet and greet" early in the cruise so that we can all meet each other? Suggestions?

Thanks Dan,

Question....Would it be "fun" to drive around the area for 2-3 hours? We found a limo company that would drive us around for 70 bucks for 2 hours...3rd hour is 25bucks more. Then they would drop us off at the pier.

Is there anything worth seeing at that time of the morning? Or is there a must go to breakfast place that would be unique or fun to do that morning. I know we can drive by the Queen Mary and pay homage but I don't know if Jeff would appreciate it as much as I would.

Ken

Ken, I'll ask some of my friends for suggestions. West Hollywood comes to mind, but I don't live near that area. I'm actually in the OC.

I'm the Eric of Eric and Dale (see Nyx above). We're really looking forward to getting away from the heat of the desert and spending some time at sea.

I saw mention of a 3:00 fuction in the Schooner bar on sail out day. Is that a Cruise Critic function? Should we arrange a gay "meet and greet" early in the cruise so that we can all meet each other? Suggestions?

Eric, the 3 o'clock function is an impromptu get together. The official Meet & Mingle is the next day. My suggestion is that we all meet at 3 p.m. in the Schooner Bar and decide at that point if we want to make other plans and meet elsewhere later.

Hey David, I see you are from SF too. Where in SF do you live? I am in Cow Hollow.

Also, what about Chris from SF?

Chris lives near the Mint.

Welcome Dale & Eric, and Marinaguy1 (should we call you Marina, or Guy? ;))!

Ken, LA is so spread out you might want to consider an area you'd like to see, and if you have time consider others. You may want to start by checking out a tour bus website of the LA area and see what they offer as far as getting suggestions. There is the Hollywood Hills area; Beverly Hills/Stars homes area; Santa Monica, Malibu area; Downtown area; West Hollywood area; beach community area (Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo along the beach and continuing on the Palos Verdes Peninsula - Wafarer's Chapel is nice, ending up in San Pedro along the coast). I think with that info, and perhaps a suggestion from your chauffeur, you'd have a good tour.

I suggest everyone checking out the Mariner's bulletin board shortly after boarding. It is located either near the reception desk or at the other end of the Promenade, near the staircase. If you don't see it ask a crew member. Hopefully that person will know where it is. Caution: not all employees even know that it exists :o. In addition to info they do not put in their daily paper, The Cruise Compass, it will have a GLBT or "Friends of Dorothy" gathering listed with a time and place.

The Schooner Bar is my least favorite bar on this particular ship as it has the least amount of atmosphere. On other RCI ships it is one of the best, but on this class it does not stand out. The rest of the ship is great :)!

I live above Dolores Park. David[/color]

Hi,

Aquatwin....I found this ...then looked at old posts...and we think this looks good also.

http://www.dianastours.com/day_cruise_puerto_vallarta.php

It looks like fun. It is $75 a person though but it looks like the libations would be flowing....We already booked the Eco Cat for Cabo but could go snorkeling again...

Mazatlan is the "bigger" city correct? That one we would just walk around town?

Any advice is appreciated..also we could take a chance and go as a small group?? Let us know.

Hi,

Aquatwin....I found this ...then looked at old posts...and we think this looks good also.

http://www.dianastours.com/day_cruise_puerto_vallarta.php

It looks like fun. It is $75 a person though but it looks like the libations would be flowing....We already booked the Eco Cat for Cabo but could go snorkeling again...

Mazatlan is the "bigger" city correct? That one we would just walk around town?

Any advice is appreciated..also we could take a chance and go as a small group?? Let us know.

Ken, I think Chris and I are still unsure what we'll do in the ports. I know we better hurry and decide with less than three weeks remaining. I agree the diana tours looks interesting, but I'm not sure whether we could make it to the designated pickup location on time. We may just head over one of the beaches close to the ship and lay out in the sun or do one of the ziplining adventures.

Mazatlan is the biggest of the three cities. It is also the oldest. I was there in the early 80's on my very first cruise and I found the city to be a little dirty. I can't say what's changed since then, but I'm sure it's more crowded than before.

Have you decided what you might want to do or see on your morning before boarding the ship? I like David's suggestion that you do a little research to identify an area that you might be interested in seeing since L.A. is so spread out.

This will actually be our first cruise, and I was a little anxious about being "the only gays in the village". My name is Jack and partner is Jamie.

We live in SF, same age range....so it seems there are quite a few of us.

We are also planning our excursions this week, currently I'm looking at Randi's Horseback Riding in Mazatlan, and the Los Veranos Zipline in PV...but still checking things out.

My partner wants to snorkel in Cabo, and I'm looking at the waverunners, and parasailing. Decisions, decisions.

Looking forward to meeting up with you all.

Jack

Archived