Scooter Rental...Pros & Cons?? What do you think?

Seyski5

• 2 weeks later...

I love them & my fiance and I rent them for the whole week we are there. You have a ton of freedom & can zip around wherever you want. I do agree BDA isn't the best place to learn to ride a scooter, luckily, Key West did the trick for us. I also think it's a bit more dangerous with 2 adults on 1 - if the driver isn't an experienced motorcycle rider. The weight of another person, if they're not leaning properly, can cause the bike to be unstable. It also slows it down considerably.

I always rent my own & happily follow my man & go. I do my best to speed along and follow the traffic. If anyone gets too close, I find a spot to pull over, signal, and let them go by.

I do agree with all the advice here, only do it if you are comfortable. I wish we could rent cycles with bigger engines, that would make it easier to keep up with traffic and make me feel safer.

We always rent scooters. This will be our fourth trip coming up and we plan on renting them again. Can't beat the freedom and ease of getting around the island. Yes I've heard about the accidents. Hopefully we will never experience one. We love them and all I can say it's up to the individual. My DH and DS insist on getting them while there and want nothing to do with the bus. We tried that once and hated the heat and crowds. I really wouldn't care but I'm the minority so off we go on scooters. Really up to the person to make his own decision, as everyone has different opinions and experiences so if you decide to rent one just follow the driving laws and be observant of your surroundings as a driver should do anywhere driving anything. ;)

I have posted numerous times on this very subject. My husband and I have traveled on many motorcycle trips lasting up to 3 weeks at a time. We traveled to Bermuda last year for the first time and said that we would never ride a scooter in Bermuda. We are experienced Harley riders and have been around. If a scooter and a bus encounter each other on the road the bus is going to win, it's that simple.

Just got back from Bermuda. I would echo those who say the rental is not necessary. The buses are very efficient and I never felt like I was losing time waiting for public transport.

I am not an expert scooter rider, but from what I saw, I am glad I chose not to rent. I am in my 30s and generally not risk-averse. But the main roads in Bermuda are not tranquil island roads. They are quasi-highways, very hilly, and traffic moves at a good clip. The public buses move VERY quickly and tailgaiting is common. During our two days there, we saw two tourists wiped out on the side of the road.

..I've worked on ships for nearly 15 yrs, and believe me..I've seen more than my share of mayhem, serious bodily injury & several deaths..not just in Bermuda..but in many other ports where scooters are readily available. Cozumel in particular is a bloody horror show..esp during March break...knew a critical care nurse there..ooohh..the stories..! Bermuda easily has the highest number of incidents involving cruise pax - on every one of my ship visits to Bermuda..there have been accidents involving our guests.

My best advice to the 'newbies' visiting Bermuda thinking of renting a scooter..

Most ships are there for at least 3 days..do yourself a favor and take the bus/taxi on the first day..your chance to check out the roads & driving conditions.

If you feel comfortable & think your level of experience is up to the task..then go for it & have fun. If not..then pick up a 'bus/ferry' pass - the most efficient & safest way to get around the island.

..safe cruisin..!

I agree with JollyJones et al.I worked the ICU @ KEMH in the 80's and we saw some horror shows,both visitors and locals.Not worth it for a couple of days..use the fabulous

public transit system,land or water and cabs if you want to go your own route..Stay safe and enjoy.

Just returned from Bermuda yesterday and my husband and I did rent scooters. We wouldn't do Bermuda any other way!

Driving on the left only takes a few minutes to get used to and since we have many roundabouts where we live, they were a breeze as well. We tried to stay away from other tourists on bikes, as many of them looked unexperienced and confused, a dangerous combo on the road. There was a lot of traffic (by Bermuda standards) during rush hour, but in the middle of the day, when not in the city, the roads were nearly vacant.

It was a great experience for us, and we'd do it again. It does seem like a good idea to rent your own instead of sharing one scooter. The bikes with two people on them were going dangerously slow.

Do they rent bicycles on the island or is that just as dangerous?

We did rent scooter s 15 years ago and loved it and it does give you freedom to explore different places but I have been telling my DH about the recent posts and how traffic is not the same as 15 years ago but he is hell bent on renting and is being a weenie about it. I was thinking maybe if we wanted to explore one section of the island and do the side roads if that would be any better (or worse!) We like to tool around and be able to stop when we want and explore. Can you really do that on busses? I figure at least we can do the ferry to St. Geroges and walk around there one day but I think he wants at least one day of scooter.

I guess I should send him this thread even though there are pros and cons.

Do they rent bicycles on the island or is that just as dangerous?

Seems there was a place to rent mountain bikes but someone was not able to track anything down recently. They would be ok for exploring the old rail trail but there are no shoulders on the main roads.:eek:

The advantage of getting a transportation pass is you CAN get off and on the buses anytime.

One other thing to consider is there are only a few main roads and places where it's not even possible to take "back" roads to avoid traffic. I'm sure the residents know ways around things but it would be very hard for a tourist. There are times when there's some "traffic issue" and everyone sits because there's no way around it.

The area around St. George would be a safer place to travel on scooters

Seems there was a place to rent mountain bikes but someone was not able to track anything down recently. They would be ok for exploring the old rail trail but there are no shoulders on the main roads.:eek:

The advantage of getting a transportation pass is you CAN get off and on the buses anytime.

One other thing to consider is there are only a few main roads and places where it's not even possible to take "back" roads to avoid traffic. I'm sure the residents know ways around things but it would be very hard for a tourist. There are times when there's some "traffic issue" and everyone sits because there's no way around it.

The area around St. George would be a safer place to travel on scooters

Thanks for the info....I wouldn't mind biking but with no shoulders on the road that sound dangerous too! So if worse comes to worse, The St. Georges side of the island is less congested and probably a better choice to scooter around. I may be ok with that.....

And the buses will stop anywhre or only at bus stops? I hear some of the bus rides take forever:( to get from poitn A to B.

PS: I sent him the link and he gave me a "whatever" You all may be talking him out of this anyway so thanks!:)

We were in Bermuda 19 years ago and decided to rent scooters. After practicing awhile we took off for Hamilton. When we saw a stone wall we started walking the bikes across the busy street. As I lifted the scooter up on the sidewalk, I accidently hit the throttle and the scooter and I hit the stone wall and tore all the skin off my left leg. I rode the scooter back to the rental place and suffered through the rest of the vacation. A year passed and I dislocated my knee and consequently had two knee surgeries and a year of physical therapy, didn't realize the damage at the time of the mishap. We recently went back on Norwegian Spirit and got the three day pass for the buses and ferry. We always joked there must be a hospital in Bermuda and also a special moped hospital because we saw alot of crutches on that trip so many years ago. Bottom line is: I never should have rented a scooter and I paid dearly for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our 5 night Bermuda Cruise on the Grandeur. My husband is an experienced biker and we rented scooters. I was a little eery due to the negative posts on here but I decided to go for it and I have to say it was the highlight of our trip. We drove on point of the island to the other and had a blast. it only took about 30 minutes to get used to driving on the left side of the road but then we were fine. However, I didnt see one scooter accident and a few others who shouldnt have been allowed scooters. If you are not an experienced biker I wouldnt recommend renting them - especially if you plan on carrying a passenger. The ability to go somewhere whenever you wanted was a blast an I got some great sight seeing photos. I highly recommend scooters as long as as you feel comfortable driving them!

Just returned from Bermuda yesterday and my husband and I did rent scooters. We wouldn't do Bermuda any other way!

Driving on the left only takes a few minutes to get used to and since we have many roundabouts where we live, they were a breeze as well. We tried to stay away from other tourists on bikes, as many of them looked unexperienced and confused, a dangerous combo on the road. There was a lot of traffic (by Bermuda standards) during rush hour, but in the middle of the day, when not in the city, the roads were nearly vacant.

It was a great experience for us, and we'd do it again. It does seem like a good idea to rent your own instead of sharing one scooter. The bikes with two people on them were going dangerously slow.

I agree. I do have a motorcycle license so a scooter is nothing to drive for me but I understand for unexperienced riders. But seeing the island your own way, driving down little roads to your own private beach... thats the way to go !!! LOVE IT !

Okay, two more points to add to this thread. Yes, if you're an experienced rider a scooter can be a lot of fun despite the frankly dangerous drivers we have here, and yes, I've ridden a bike all my life here (don't own a car) and never decked out once (touch wood).

BUT - if you take the bus and ferry you will see a lot more pretty sights that you would NEVER see from a scooter because you're not focusing on the road (and you WILL need to focus hard). There is air conditioning on all the buses and the seats are high up so you get a good view. When I take the bus I always see things I've never seen before.

Don't look on it as transport - look at it as a dirt cheap tour of the island.

Have fun!

Don't look on it as transport - look at it as a dirt cheap tour of the island.

Have fun!

That's funny, that's exactly the way we see the scooters! We always joke that it counts as an activity because we're on them so much and enjoy them so much.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a nice trip to Bermuda on the Grandeur of the Seas and I have to chime in on this subject.

I am an experienced motorcycle rider and have been riding for years and I must say I would not recommend anyone rent a scooter if they are not comfortable on a scooter. The roads are narrow and and there are lot of blind spots where a accident could happen.

On my ship two young girls was in a scooter accident and one of the girls died and other one have to have surgery on her foot and she broke her arm, collar bone. The girl who survived was the driver and she said she has driven a scooter a couple of time and thought she was prepared to drive in Bermuda.

When I found out the passenger passed away I said a prayer for her family and the poor girl who was driving.

So please if someone wants to rent a scooter please make sure you are an experienced rider before doing so.

Just want to chime in on this poster's story, it's been pretty thoroughly *debunked* over on the TripAdvisor forum. There is an article in the Royal Gazette about 1 tourist being injured in a scooter accident during Grandeur's stay. Nothing about a second passenger being involved, nor a death. Apparently this cruise pax spoke directly to the scooter driver who said "her best friend was killed....girl was brought home in the ship's morgue."

Not sure why the driver would lie, and I can understand why jiffer would believe an injured girl in a wheelchair, but it's just not true. As the TA guys say, the Royal Gazette covers any traffic fatality, any tourist fatality, in detail. If it was true, there'd be many stories about it.

i just returned from a bermuda cruise and had a scooter for one day.and i can only recomend it.of course the bus system is very good-and if you just want go for hamilton or a beach it is a good way. but if you want to explore the island-there is no better way.you can stop where you want,and need not to wait for the next bus.

of course you will not find freeways with 6lanes like in the us-but the roads are not that narrow-it ist just a regular road with 1 lane in each direction.passenger cars can easy pass by but if you go with 40km/h because of the many curves cars even don't go much faster and will stay behind you or overtake you,but i never felt unsafe or in danger

so if you want to explore bermuda on your own-take a scooter and have fun!

and don't worry to much on the left drive-it's easy-just remember to be left on the road and you are fine and if you are not sure in the roundabouts-just slow down and stop and find your way on the left.

i think it is more difficult to drive in manhattan with all those rude taxi drivers than going on a scooter on bermuda with all the friendly people there.

• 3 weeks later...

First thing about Moped's in Bermuda .

Vistors are only allowed 50 CC machines , locals can drive 100 CC.

Try to rent a Vespa style scooter rather than a motorbike style, easier to get on and off.

You must have an international license or a motorcycle license to rent a bike.

The roads are quite safe and reletivly free of trafic , but remember you are on the left, and they use roundabouts , not traffic lights.

You see so many hidden places with a bike that are not accessable by bus or taxi.

I am 62 and my wife is 60 , we have rented bikes 3 times in Bermuda and never had any problems.

There is free bike parking on the ship wharf in all 3 ports.

Also If you rent in St Georges you can return your bike in Hamilton or Kings Wharf, no extra charge .

A bike will cost you about $ 100 for a 3 day rental .

A taxi is a lot more .

Bus service is slow and does not cover all the island .

Be brave , rent a bike .

First thing about Moped's in Bermuda .

Vistors are only allowed 50 CC machines , locals can drive 100 CC.

Try to rent a Vespa style scooter rather than a motorbike style, easier to get on and off.

You must have an international license or a motorcycle license to rent a bike.

The roads are quite safe and reletivly free of trafic , but remember you are on the left, and they use roundabouts , not traffic lights.

You see so many hidden places with a bike that are not accessable by bus or taxi.

I am 62 and my wife is 60 , we have rented bikes 3 times in Bermuda and never had any problems.

There is free bike parking on the ship wharf in all 3 ports.

Also If you rent in St Georges you can return your bike in Hamilton or Kings Wharf, no extra charge .

A bike will cost you about $ 100 for a 3 day rental .

A taxi is a lot more .

Bus service is slow and does not cover all the island .

Be brave , rent a bike .[/quote

Really? When was the last time you were there? I went 15 years ago and rented a scooter. All went well. We went last month and because my DH whined loud enough I caved and we rented a scooter under protest. After reading all the stuff in this board and bad it has gotten, there was no way I wanted to do this.

I agree with most of the stuff you have written with a couple exceptions;

What the heck is an International license?

and

NO, the roads are not safe and relativly free of traffic. There was more traffic this time and larger vehicles then 15 years ago. I am talking a constant flow. The busses are bigger and , oh, by the way the trucks are bigger too. Especially the one that crossed over the center line to our side while roudning a curve and forced us into a coral wall. There are no shoulders on the roads pull over and they are very narrow. We were one of the lucky ones to be able to walk away from this. So if anyone thinks they are safe, think again. You can be the most experienced driver and careful as as heck, but I will stick to the busses or cabs. It not worth my life to save a couple bucks.

So if anyone wants to go be brave, go right ahead. I will just be a coward and live another day.

Day rental of scooters for our August cruise seems like the way to go and everyone in my family says "YES!" I have heard comments to the contrary about doing it....Is it really that unsafe or are most of the accidents seen user error?....What ye say critics?....SAFE or DUMB?:confused:

If you are a experienced rider, I'd say go for it. But if you never ride motorcycles or scooters I'd stay off. That plus not knowing the roads you might be better off with another mode of transporatation.

We rented a scooter in Grand Cayman. We had a lot of fun, but learning to ride on the other side of the road was very interesting to say the least. I am a pretty experienced motorcycle rider, so I felt very comfortable riding around. But being on new terrain and trying to remember what side of the road I was suppose to be on did effect my focus a little.

I am looking forward to renting a scooter in Bermuda when the Grandeur docks there a week Saturday. I have as my second vehicle a scooter so I feel confident enough in my riding skills that I can concentrate more on riding on the left hand side.

My fiance has experience riding a scooter too, but drives a car more leaving me the scooter.

We looked at the buses and ferries and just felt we wanted a scooter to do what we wanted and where we wanted to go without worrying about schedules.

Bermuda recorded it's 13th road fatality for 2009 last night. A 33 year old visitor came off her rented cycle yesterday afternoon along Pender Road in Sandys - not sure if she was on the cruise ship that was alongside the dock in Dockyard yesterday but the accident scene is not far from there. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family and friends.

Please, if you are visiting here, please think long and hard about renting cycles - especially if you do not have previous experience on them. Our roads are more and more conjested daily and being able to driving safely along them is not a given.

Archived