The Pride to the Bahamas from Baltimore?

How is the cruise on the Carnival Pride from Baltimore to the Bahamas (Port Canaveral, Nassau and Freeport)? I am wondering how the cruise experience is in the winter months:

How's the weather at sea? In Florida? In the Bahamas?

How are the seas?

I am wondering because I debating the convenience of leaving from a closer port than flying down to FL and going on a Caribbean cruise. How does this cruise compare to a Caribbean one, is what I am asking in essence. I figure the ports of call aren't quite as interesting, but I am willing to sacrifice such niceties for a cheaper vacation without the hassle of the airport so long as the cruise as a whole is a good product.

I really have no idea what it'd be like to be on a ship in the bitter cold (very likely in the northeast). When does the weather turn around on the way down to the Bahamas (if ever)? On the second sea day (second full day on the cruise) should I be expecting cold weather still?

Thank you for any information & overlooking my sloppy thought processes at the moment. End of a long day and I don't feel like proof reading. ;) Ya know that feeling after a long, stressful day at work where your brain is kinda numb? Ya, i got that right now. :D

We were on another ship out of Baltimore November 30th. The weather was cool the first sea day. We spent most of that day doing inside things. The second day we were out on deck with light sweaters, after that it was warm enough for shorts. I would imagine the dead of winter would be cooler until you reached the Bahamas. We may well try one of the winter cruises just to see what they are like. It's so nice when you don't have to fly. Charleston was one of our favorite ports. We wouldn't mind going back there on the 9 day itinerary.

You are departing from Baltimore, not the North Pole. While ice has been known to cover Chesapeake Bay, this is not a common occurrence (like Lake Michigan, for example). Once you are out of the Bay and heading south, it will warm up quite a bit. By the time you are to Cape Hatteras, it should be warm enough to make the decks quite comfortable. Now, the seas in the winter around the Cape can be a bit problematic. I am not in the least prone to sea sickness, so I'm probably not a good example, but I have sailed on cruise ships in 18-21 foot seas and not had any issues.

I would go for it in a New York minute as I detest flying and feel even worse toward the TSA twinkies.

Doc

Right, but even Baltimore can have 30 degree highs in the dead of winter. The seas are actually not too much of a concern of mine, since I handle the ocean pretty well.

I've experienced 15 foot seas once on the Grand Princess (a ship class known for feelings the waves a bit more) and I was fine. In fact I had a blast in the indoor pool during the rough seas. I cannot believe that actually kept that pool open.

I guess my main concern is that the vacation may not nearly be as relaxing since it will be cold for 3 out of the 6 full days of the vacation. If these are false assumptions, either it not being relaxing because of the cold or that it is even that cold to begin with, please let me know!

How are the Bahamas in the winter? Should I expect temps in the 60s or the 80s? I've never been to the Bahamas so I really have no perspective.

Thanks!

Right, but even Baltimore can have 30 degree highs in the dead of winter. The seas are actually not too much of a concern of mine, since I handle the ocean pretty well.

I've experienced 15 foot seas once on the Grand Princess (a ship class known for feelings the waves a bit more) and I was fine. In fact I had a blast in the indoor pool during the rough seas. I cannot believe that actually kept that pool open.

I guess my main concern is that the vacation may not nearly be as relaxing since it will be cold for 3 out of the 6 full days of the vacation. If these are false assumptions, either it not being relaxing because of the cold or that it is even that cold to begin with, please let me know!

How are the Bahamas in the winter? Should I expect temps in the 60s or the 80s? I've never been to the Bahamas so I really have no perspective.

Thanks!

We were on QM2 on the Princess Cay ( Bahamas) in the middle of February. Weather was around 80-85 degress, but water just low 70s. Tons of people were swimming despite of being in pretty chilly water. Pools on board were about 90 degrees during that port day.

Thanks!

We were in Nassau the first week of January this year. It definitely wasn't hot - temps in the upper 60s and we were told the water was cold by anyone who tried to swim - that you really needed a wet suit.

I loved sailing from Baltimore but not sure the winter cruises will get all that warm - they might or they might not. Mid-Atlantic weather is unpredictable - it could be 70 degrees the day you sail or it could be 30 and snowing.

When we sailed the Pride in May the CD did a question and answer session about ship life and did mention that they were already planning for the winter months as far as more indoor activities. We sailed in an odd cold snap in May - we sailed to temps in the upper 50s and woke up the first morning to 45 degrees. :eek: I can also say that the ship handled 16-20 foot seas really well. :eek: But then again, I've never been seasick so those that were may have a different view!

All in all I loved the Pride and while I wouldn't rule out a winter sailing, I'd probably want to do an itinerary that time of year where I knew I'd get far enough south to be really warm - I think the Bahamas can go either way that time of year although certainly warmer than home! Not having to fly was really nice, though.

I can't answer your questions about sailing from Baltimore, but I can tell you that we sailed at the end of January to the Bahamas and the weather was perfect. It was in the high 70s/low 80s which was heaven compared to where we came from (it was 42 the day we left). The water, however, was freezing. We did the dolphin swim with wet suits and we were miserably cold. But the outside temps were amazing!

The Pride just started sailing from Baltimore in April and will sail year around but that has not happened yet. In fact, I think this is the first year any of the cruise ship will sail year round. I have lived in the area for 22 years and have had some mild winters and some crazy winters. There have been a couple of Feb. when we had a lot of snow. One year we had 22 inches of snow in 2 days on President's weekend.

We'll be sailing on the Pride to the Bahamas leaving in October. It's our first cruise, and I'm excited about it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I would imagine that time of year, the water will still be nice and warm.

Any winter cruise can be a gamble. We have gone on a few that were as great as a spring, summer or fall cruise. Then, we have gone on a few that had some bad weather. We have decided to back off of winter time cruising due to the last 2 we have gone on we had cold wet and raining days for most of the cruise. I can get that at home in the winter. Now if we just get a killer rate that might change our minds.

I wanted to add: I love to cruise in the fall time but that is probably a bigger gamble then winter cruising.

We were on QM2 on the Princess Cay ( Bahamas) in the middle of February. Weather was around 80-85 degress, but water just low 70s. Tons of people were swimming despite of being in pretty chilly water.

Pish. Low 70s water temperature is what we have at the Jersey shore right now and the beaches are packed with people. In February, low 70's in the water would feel pretty warm to me:)

Pish. Low 70s water temperature is what we have at the Jersey shore right now and the beaches are packed with people. In February, low 70's in the water would feel pretty warm to me:)

I'd agree! 70s water temperature in the winter sounds pretty darn good to me!

I am just toying with going on this cruise in the winter instead the Caribbean. The Caribbean cruises are slightly cheaper, but I have to fly to get there, so this cruise would be cheaper in the end. And no flying is so much easier. But... it may be worth spending the extra $400 and getting warm weather through out.

Though I must say... some of these Western Caribbean cruises are very enticing! Hrmmm... What to do.

If the ship stopped at Key West instead of Port Canaveral I would be much more tempted to do pick the Pride. Port Canaveral? Disney World? Puhhhleeease...

Archived