amino acid diet?

toonville2

i've been doing some research on amino acid deficits - specifically because of some chronic pain in my life - and have learned some fascinating things about how some of us have amino acid starved brains which accounts for reaching for food, meds, booze to attempt to remedy bad feelings both physical and emotional. My family has a history of alcoholism, drug addiction and a fair number of us have fat issues so I am concluding that genetics is playing a part; compounded by the fact that I've been a vegetarian for many decades and don't always get enough protein.

This long ramble finally gets to the point! Has anyone out there also made this discovery, tried supplements and enjoyed a successful turnaround in pain, mood elevation and over eating? I am currently 30lb over what I need to be to fit into my cruise clothes (all hanging there forlornly) and we sail on January 30 2010 so I am feeling alternately desperate and depressed.

Thanks in advance for your input.

One of the downsides of vegetarianism - veganism in particular is the danger of not getting adequate nutrients.

I follow what many would consider a high protein diet where 40% of my daily calories come from protein. Most high-quality dietary protein is 18-26% Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA). There's roughly 18-26g BCAA per 100g animal-based protein (heck, even soy protein is 18% BCAA). This means that someone ingesting 250g protein is likely to have about 50g BCAA in the diet, which makes supplemental BCAA on top of that a questionable move. But hey, it definitely will have a placebo effect if you believe strongly enough in the magic.

I use these numbers as examples of what typical bodybuilders use when they eat adequate protein, but many Americans eat inadequate levels of protein.

In my opinion, you should simply look at fixing your nutrition so that you can get more protein and the amino acids will follow without the need to supplement.

My wife and I started a diet in the UK on June 17th, called the Alizonne Therapy. The main point of the diet is a sachet style amino acid based diet, supplemented with vitamins + minerals. In that short period of time I have fallen from 249 lbs to 210 lbs :). My target weight is 174 lbs which I should reach by September :D. I would recommend Alizonne to anyone. Its website is www.alizonne.co.uk

I assume that you ended up reducing your caloric intake...which is what caused your weight loss.

Yes, it is a very low calorie diet (550 cal per day) under medical suppervision, with weekly check-ups and regular blood tests. The bottom line though is that you simply do not feel hungry on the diet - eating the 5 sachets per day is a struggle, because you are not hungy.

thanks for your interest and all of your responses. I guess I'm going to do the right thing and get some blood work done to determine if supplements are necessary - meanwhile taking daily protein shakes with fat free soy milk. I agree, Snorkelman, that consuming a balanced diet is better than taking supplements, but if there is a genetic predisposition involved resulting somehow in one's body not retaining or producing a necessary nutrient then dietary enhancement may be necessary.

Not really interested in an extremely low cal diet as returning to "normal" eating will result in a huge gain - all that suffering for nothing!:eek: So thanks, King Hal, but no thanks. But I'm happy this has worked for you and your wife.

And Willie T, if you happen to learn anything else about this elsewhere I'd be glad if you shared it with me. Thanks again

Archived