Sea sickness?

SJChaput

I went on a small ferry last year and I was fairly nauseous the entire time... I have never been on a HUGE cruise ship... How much motion can you feel on board the ship?

Should I be worried about sea sickness?

I have never used motion sickness meds do those really work enough to allow me to have a great time even if I do fall victim to motion sickness?

I have never used motion sickness meds do those really work enough to allow me to have a great time even if I do fall victim to motion sickness?

Not really. You will hardly know you're moving unless you look outside or look at the ocean. These cruise ships are HUGE and hardly sway unless there is a bad storm.

Motion tablets work but make some people drowsy. Here's what I do; take a pack or two with you...just in case. You have them at the ready if you see you need them. In most cases you'll never touch them. The infirmary also supplies them for free but who wants to stand in line to wait for something like that! You can, mind you, so if you don't want to spend 8 bucks or so on two boxes you are welcomed to do that.

I would not worry about sea sickness. Rather worry about how you're going to pay the bar bill or if you're dressed fancy enough for elegant/formal night! :D :D

My rule, as a general rule, is never take anything orally to prevent you from being sick. If you are the least bit concerned, I would recommend discussing with your general practicioner and if he or she believes it applicable, a prescription for scopolamine (Scōp®) patches should do the trick. These are unobtrusive, and are applied up to 24 hours prior to your sailing, and lasting for 72-hours.

If you have car motion sickness, or plane motion sickness, I would recommend this option. If you are not typically subject to either of the previously mentioned types of motion sickness, the motion of a ferry vs. cruise ship is negligible.

Each individual is different. Personally, I rarely get ill in vehicular motion situations, and have heard the pros and cons about pharmaceuticals vs. ginger cookies or ginger ale vs. over the counter remedies. Each individual's response is as different as the individuals. As I know during high seas dive trips I am best armed with a Scōp® patch, I also know that during extended car, plane or sea travel on ships, I am fine without any of the above. Your response depends on your tolerances. Best of luck to you! Angel_anim.gif

I think you will be okay. For me, I cannot sail on my mom's 38 foot sail boat in Lake Erie without getting ill. I was not feeling well on the parasailing boat that we went on in Grand Cayman last year. I also got sick on an 84 foot catamaran in St. Maarten---see a pattern????

I am absolutely fine on the large cruise ships!! I have never felt ill even in rough seas. There was one day on the Freedom that was super rough, and although I could definitely feel the ship moving around, I never felt sick.

So, hopefully you will be okay on the cruise ship too! You can always bring along some dramamine(they make me sleepy!) or ginger root pills just to be safe! They also provide free ones on the ship:)

I agree that most people generally do not feel motion on the large ships and do not have problems. HOWEVER, it is vacation, and I don't want to be nauseated and not be able to enjoy the activites. You might buy a package of Bonine to take just in case. It works similar to Dramamine, but does not cause drowsiness.

Both of my previous cruises were in areas that I was unfamiliar with the seas, so I have taken one Bonine shortly before sailing, just to be safe. Thereafter, I may take one from time to time when the seas are rough. I have noticed no side effects from taking it.

I usually take ginger pills. I start a day or tow before the cruise and continue taking them twice a day for the duration of the cruise. I also use a product called motion eaze. It is an all natural liquid that you put behind your ear. It stinks, but works. I started using both of these after a cruise in BAD weather. SInce then I am afraid I will get seasick. Hope this helps.

I get super sick in cars, planes, buses, small boats...

on my cruises I take Bonamine (Bonine in the US) It's over the counter, non-drowsy and lasts 24 hours. I take it before bed. You could talk to a pharmacist or your doctor about it. I have always felt great onboard the ship, but never tried going without the Bonamine.

Can't say it enough------GINGER !!!!! (Not yelling at you, just excited!)

Ginger has changed my cruising life. No more drowsies from the Bonine (which, by the way, is available in generic form free at the purser's desk) and no more queasies.

I took two ginger pills (from Walmart) each morning and munched on the free pickled ginger from the sushi bar whenever I thought of it, and never had a problem.

On past cruises, the pills have worked, as far as the nausea goes, but left me feeling a little dazed during the day. (Slept really good at night, though.)

But the ginger was great!

It helps that I really loved the taste of the pickled ginger. The fellow at the sushi bar let me have a little sake cup full of it for my cabin.

But, if the ginger had not worked so well, I would not have hesitated to use the little pill from the purser. Sleepy is waaaay better than queasy!

Breathe deeply.

Drink plenty of water.

Eat--On my first cruise, I knew nothing of the treatments available and was surprised how much better I felt AFTER eating--even when I didn't feel like eating. It really helps to keep a little something on your stomach.

Don't anticipate any problems, but just know that there are preventative solutions and treatments. Plan for the worst; expect the best. You should have a blast!

OP - Alot of people don't feel the motion from the ship (until you get home and try to get your land legs back!), but then there are others, like me! For our upcoming cruise we've got sea bands, which are bracelets you wear with a "button" that presses on the inside of your wrist. You can get them at Wal-Mart for about $8. I also will be taking Bonine - instructions say to take one pill about one hour before boarding, supposed to work for 24 hours. I have not tried the ginger pills yet, but I will be looking to get some before we cruise next week.

Yes, you can get Bonine free on the ship....I personally feel it's better to have some "at the ready" and then I don't have to go wobbling down the halls trying to get to the purser's desk! Oh, it DOES NOT make me sleepy, they make a non-drowsy pill.

In the end it will be your decision how you want to handle it. Hopefully, you won't have a bit of a problem! Happy Cruising!

With many years of Naval experience and watching a lot of people getting sea sick, my advise to you whether you take the pills or do the patch is to start them a minimum of 24hr prior to getting underway, because once yu start getting sea sick the medicines will not work. So even if you think there is a chance that you may get sick, take the meds. Better safe than sorry

What I have noticed on smaller boats is that if you stay out in the fresh air & focus on the horizon, not the water directly around the boat, it helps with motion sickness. My guess is that the same principle would apply. Get out on deck, being sure to look off in the distance as opposed to standing at the rail watching the water rush by.

I suffer awfully from sea sickness, but it doesn't stop me from loving to cruise.

In the Caribbean, it is usually alright. I am most sick in the northern Atlantic. I honestly thought I was going to die on the Sea Princess from Southampton, UK to Gibraltar.

I have tried every remedy out there, and here is what works for me . . .

1. Bonine - take 24 hours before cruise and every evening thereafter.

2. Wrist bands - on really rough sea days I wear these.

3. Carbs before bed - before I go to bed at night, I go to the buffet and get some bread and crackers. I eat them before going to bed, and I have them as soon as I get up (before going to breakfast). I find that having something in my stomach helps to take away quessiness.

4. Fresh Air - Sea days are the worst for me. (that's why I'm doing Victory all port days next). I spend most sea days sitting outside. I go as high up as I can where the wind blows the most. The fresh air blowing on my skin feels great. I have been burned a few times doing this though.

I did try the patches behing my ear, and I had a bad side effect. My eyesight went really weird. It got so blurry that I couldn't see to shop in the ports. Now, that will never do. Apparently, this is a side effect. I haven't used them since.

Hope this info helps.

I thought I read on here that you can get Bonine free on the ship? From the doc? Purser?

Yes you can and what they have now will not make you drowsy...Anything with ginger in it works also including ginger ale...I read something on here a couple of weeks ago that green apples will prevent sea-sickness although I have never tried that.... I never get sea sick anymore no matter how rough it is...Dennis

I go fishing out on Puget Sound all the time and nothing bothers me. We went deep sea fishing in Canada once and I was sick as a dog! So when I went on my first cruise I asked my doctor for the patch, put it behind your ear works for 3 days, change for a new one. You will not get sick. side affect...will make you thirsty at least it made me thirsty, but that's what an all you can drink soda card is good for...lol!

Have fun!

PS i'll be getting my patch for October

What I have noticed on smaller boats is that if you stay out in the fresh air & focus on the horizon, not the water directly around the boat, it helps with motion sickness. My guess is that the same principle would apply. Get out on deck, being sure to look off in the distance as opposed to standing at the rail watching the water rush by.

This is exactly what a seasoned cruiser told me before I went on my first cruise. He also told me to go buy some crystalized ginger, cut it up into small pieces and keep it in a container in my bag so I could chew on some anytime I wanted. I did both of these things and even though we rode in a storm to Cozumel, and my poor roommate was sick - sick - sick, I was fine.

Good idea on the pickled ginger too. Gads I love that stuff cold! Think I will go buy me a jar and take it with me in October. Thanks for that idea thelmalou!

Thanks for the name of the patches(scopolamine) my husband needs them. Thank god he still like to cruise! He don't like to drink to much he feels the motion and is scared to be very sick. Now last year we took our daughter she was very sick we tried everything free pills from desk, wrist bands ginger pills, soda crackers & green apples didn't help the poor girl. I think the fresh air on the balcony & on decks help alot. I also thought the victory sailing would be best but now I'm worried the island might be to close and will be going in circles.

I can not cruise without the patch!! I cut mine in half. I know it says not to cut them but I do. I don't like the dry mouth it gives me on a full patch. I never leave home without the Patch!!

Relax and enjoy.

Good luck

I absolutely positively encourage you to use the scopolamine patch! I love to cruise but get seasick in an instant. It is all out vertigo. NOT fun. I thought this particular cruise would be smooth, but we just went in June and the winds made the boat rock and rock and rock. We had the late seating for dinner and it was really rocking by then.

Don't even hesitate to use the patch. Whoever else posted before me that once you get sick, nothing works is correct. This is a great cruise and you will want to enjoy it! Good luck!

I went on a small ferry last year and I was fairly nauseous the entire time... I have never been on a HUGE cruise ship... How much motion can you feel on board the ship?

I worried about the same exact thing as you. Sea sickness was my main fear for weeks. I did bring Bonine for my daughter and I. She didnt take anything since she has been on 4 cruises. This was my first, so I took 2 tablets about 3pm. The ship sailed off at about 5:15pm. It was fine, I felt the ship move a little during sleep time but it kind of rocked me to sleep. That was it, I didnt use the bonine for the rest of the voyage. Maybe I had really calm waters, Im not sure. We did have heavy fog most nights though. The ship was fine, and I was fine. And, you will be fine!!;)

I work with a gal that has a very handicapped sister. When they took her on a cruise she was instantly sick... They took her to the infirmary and they gave her a seaband bracelet, as soon as they put it on her she quit throwing up.. To test it later, they took the bracelet off and she instantly started getting sick. I guess the point I am trying to make, this gal does not have the mental capacity to know that the bracelet should work or not. It definitely works for her.

I work with a gal that has a very handicapped sister. When they took her on a cruise she was instantly sick... They took her to the infirmary and they gave her a seaband bracelet, as soon as they put it on her she quit throwing up.. To test it later, they took the bracelet off and she instantly started getting sick. I guess the point I am trying to make, this gal does not have the mental capacity to know that the bracelet should work or not. It definitely works for her.

Yea, I heard of the seabands. I was gonna get them at walmart but they were out of em. But the Bonine worked I guess. I didnt have any problems.

Archived