What to wear for dinner?

I haven't cruised in about 10 yrs so I need some help/advice. We'll be on the Liberty in January - Western Caribbean. It says 2 Cruise Elegant nights and the rest casual. What do "most" mean wear for casual nights? (Don't want DH out of place! haha) And for Elegant nights is a shirt and tie ok or he also has to wear a jacket? (With luggage costs these days - trying to pack lighter if possible)

And for women - do most get dressed in cocktail gowns or is a nice dress or skirt and blouse (like someone would wear to church) be ok? 10 yrs ago it was mainly cocktail gowns so I'm hoping it's not the same now!

THANKS!

10 years since your last cruise? Don't worry about your husband feeling out of place if he doesn't have a jacket and or tie on for "Cruise Elegant" night. The oft quoted line you should see is "It's your vacation, do whatever you please". You might even see something like "don't let the dress police bother you". We still get dressed up for formal night and we love seeing the ship dressed similarly. Just don't expect it. Have fun.

in three cruises since the new Carnival dress policy changes here is what I see.

Casual dress - includes shorts, jeans, sandals, sneakers, khaki slacks and a number dressed a little nicer

Cruise Elegant - the first one more dress up a bit. That includes suits, a few tux's, slacks and a polo or long sleeve shirt or Madras type casual shirt.

The second cruise elegant night was a little more casual, with the "whatever goes with long pants" being the name of the game.

I wear a suit to first dress-up night for photos and the second one I wear a pair of khakis and a casual shirt like a Tommy Bahama or similar.

On the other 5 nights I wear khaki shorts and a casual shirt like a polo or similar. I chuckle at the term "dress short" but I have worn golf style and cargo style with no problems. I walked in with a significant number of men wearing the same. Shorts, sandals and a bright colored shirt seem to be the "uniform" for men on the cruises we have taken.

For the less than 7 night cruises we have seen fewer ties and more of the khaki slack and casual shirt crowd.

All above are within the guidelines and would have company dressed the same way...

I haven't cruised in about 10 yrs so I need some help/advice. We'll be on the Liberty in January - Western Caribbean. It says 2 Cruise Elegant nights and the rest casual. What do "most" mean wear for casual nights? (Don't want DH out of place! haha) And for Elegant nights is a shirt and tie ok or he also has to wear a jacket? (With luggage costs these days - trying to pack lighter if possible)

And for women - do most get dressed in cocktail gowns or is a nice dress or skirt and blouse (like someone would wear to church) be ok? 10 yrs ago it was mainly cocktail gowns so I'm hoping it's not the same now!

THANKS!

Serious answer: My MIL is a one bag traveler. And she uses this site for travel wear. Travel Smiths.

Their stuff for guys and ladies are 'travel ready' some of the ladies stuff is reversible..all wrinkle free, drip dry..easy to roll and pack. Dress it up with some silk scarfs for diffrent looks and jewlery.

For guys, one blazer and one dress shirt..for both nights. Do a 'french cuff' dress shirt..and bring two sets of cufflinks, with two ties, and some matching colorful pocket squares. If they don't like ties...an open collar with a blazer..french cuffs links and a pocket square is a nice elegant casual look.

THANKS!

Shorts for all nights except elegant night,where a polo and pants will be acceptable.

STeve

Follow the guidelines and you'll be fine. Contrary to fig414, yes, it's your vacation but that's not a "do anything you want" thing.

You'll probably see some people push the limits and hopefully Carnival will call them on it. Again, just follow the guidelines.

Archived