Rhapsody 01/09/04 Cayman Cancelled??

is at the mercy of the Grand Cayman harbormaster. RCI does not make the decision, Grand Cayman port authorities do. One time, on a CCL cruise, our ship got to the bay at Grand Cayman only to announce that we could not

stop because of high seas, choppiness. I had to chuckle at folks mumbling about Carnival "breaking it's promise". Apparently folks don't read their own documents, and again did not realize..it was Cayman..not the cruiseline that make those decisions. By the sound of Cayman's on going problems, and the fact I hate tendering in the first place, at this point I would prefer Costa Maya, where we actually dock and will have a much longer time.

Mitch

Does anyone know for certain that Rhapsody will not be going to Grand Cayman in January? We are scheduled to be there on January 13th, and have a private tour booked. Royal Caribbean is still showing Grand Cayman on the excursions site. Please post with definite information......thank you.

From what I've heard and have been reading I don't think we'll get a definative answer on this before we sail. At best, we could be looking at a 50/50 proposition unless new information surfaces pre-sailing. Until then, I'm covering my bases by researching Costa Maya. From looking at a prior post (I don't remember by whom and when), Rhapsody apparently once sailed to Cozumel a day early when GC couldn't take them. This meant more time in Cozumel. My guess is that Costa Maya is more probable. However, we'll just have to wait and see.

Most excursion businesses advertise that they offer refunds if passengers can't make it into port, if the weather turns bad, etc. So, you could possibly make arrangements in GC and not worry about losing $$$ if we don't make it. I'm still undecided on what to do myself with some excursions.

Sounds like we'll be on the same sailing. If you hear anything new be sure to post.

I was aboard the first cruise ship to return to the Cayman Islands after Hurriccane Ivan hit. I was there around 11/03/04 and the island was just about totally destroyed with many areas still without power, piles of trees and debris everywhere. It really was sad to see the condition of the Caymans though the immediate port area was up and running with a few places open and full power. If your port of call is cancelled, please understand that there is a reason for it and the hurricane damage and the destroyed infrastructure is probably the reason.

Eddie

I was aboard the first cruise ship to return to the Cayman Islands after Hurriccane Ivan hit. I was there around 11/03/04 and the island was just about totally destroyed with many areas still without power, piles of trees and debris everywhere. It really was sad to see the condition of the Caymans though the immediate port area was up and running with a few places open and full power. If your port of call is cancelled, please understand that there is a reason for it and the hurricane damage and the destroyed infrastructure is probably the reason.

Eddie

We were there on 11/24 and the recovery progress already made was amazing compared to the pictures I'd seen from just after the storm. We took the bus back to town (from DiveTech) which loops up thru Hell, then down thru the neighborhoods on the back side of the island. There was much destruction visible, but also many houses & roofs were already under repair, and you could see that many areas had been cleaned up. I believe we had 4 ships in when we were there, and the plan was to add more gradually as they determined they could handle them. I'd be curious to know if anyone has info on how they do decide what ships get first dibs on GC ....

This is an e-mail I just received today from the Cayman Island Port Authority in response to my inquiry about the Rhapsody not being listed for January 13th (or the rest of January 2005) on their online schedule.

"Dear Sir,

We have a limit of between 4 and 5 ships per day. We were unable to accommodate Rhapsody of the Seas on that date. However, its two sister ships, Radiance and Jewel will be calling on that date.

Best regards,

Joseph Woods Jr. - PFSO"

AND YET... Royal Caribbean still advertises Grand Cayman on their website and via customer service (even after I mentioned the above e-mail from the Port Authority).

Assuming that the Port Authority is correct, it'll be interesting to see when RC decides to begin telling people that GC isn't going to happen in January.

Thanks to all who replied/researched this. I am glad to get a straight answer, and I am also extremely disappointed that we will not be going to GC as this is one of my favorite ports and the main reason I booked this cruise. I mistakenly believed that GC would be back on its feet by Jan. I am also curious to see when RCCL informs us of the change. Also, any opinions on where were going...Costa Maya, or just add a sea day?

Ryan

Hey, another e-mail from the GC Port Authority.

I replied to Joseph and thanked him for the information. I also said that I was surprised that RC is still advertising GC as a port... and that many people will surely be disappointed that we can't visit their island during this cruise. Many people realize the devastation they've gone through recently and very much want to support them anyway we can. Here is his reply.

"Thanks for your email. The cruises that were advertised were approved

prior to the hurricane and we have had to cut back our capacity because

facilities that were to be ready after the storm have been set back

quite a bit. We are doing the schedule on a monthly basis for the next

few months and I only recently informed RCCL that we would not be able

to accommodate Rhapsody. I understand your disappointment and believe

me it is hard to have disappoint good people like you who wish to visit

us and hard to have to turn away cruise business from our loyal friends

such as RCCL. Perhaps, RCCL will let you swap over to the Jewel or

Radiance and you can still visit the Cayman Islands.

I thank you for choosing the Cayman Islands and I hope that something

works out that will allow you to visit.

Best regards,

Joseph"

Mr. Travel and all,

The fact that RCI has only 3-4 weeks notice concurs with our recent experience on Rhapsody. We were notified by our internet travel agency about 2-3 weeks prior to our cruise that we would not sail to GC but rather Costa Maya. So, I expect the changes to show up one way or the other soon for you! For all of you that are disappointed about losing GC as a stop (we had to cx our excursion with Captain Marvins also :(,) I will say that Costa Maya (Mahahual beach) is a wonderful substitute so all is not lost! Deb

In light of the above email from the GC Port Authority, I decided to call RCCL and confront them with the information. The Customer Service rep just kept saying "I can only tell you what my computer says" so I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she confirmed that it appeared that we werent going to GC, but would not say where we were going, except that Costa Maya had been the trend in the past. I then asked if they choose to wait until we board, would they let us use the onboard internet for free to book excursions. She said of course not. I explained to her that it would be the proper thing to do especially if RCCl knew ahead of time, and chose not to tell us. Im not mad about missing GC, it happens. Im mad that RCCL knows whats up, and wont tell us until were on the ship.

Ryan

Rmiller: This is becoming more and more of a mystery. I received an e-mail from Tracy of Island Marketing today and here is what she said:

Good Morning:

I talked to someone yesterday in Grand Cayman that runs excursions for RCCL and he showed me the schedule and the Rhapsody is scheduled to be in Grand Cayman on Jan 6, 13, etc, etc. :)

So we will see you on the 13th"

Tracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So RCCL has not even notified the people that run their excursions that we will not be there. Just a bit unfair, I think.

As some others have indicated, I DO NOT blame RCCL if we can not be at Grand Cayman. I understand perfectly the devastation, the rebuilding process, and the need to keep the visitors to a minimun while this is being done. I understand that it is the Port Authority who makes the final call, as it should be. I do blame RCCL for withholding information that impacts the passengers, the tour operators (who have already suffered enough economically), and limits our ability to research and make plans at a new port. Shame on you, RCCL :mad:

Well, I e-mailed Joseph back with a final question. I'm curious if he'll give me a contact name/number for someone at RC that knows where we're going.

I'm guessing that he won't give me this information... but we'll see.

As I mentioned in a prior post, it will be interesting to see when RC shares with their passengers the change. I sail in 10 days and I booked directly with RC. I have this nagging thought that we'll be told of the change once we board the ship. We'll hear something like, "Well, we JUST found out that we can't go to Grand Cayman. So, we'll be going to Cuba instead." Excursions to Gitmo $65pp, one way. :)

If it's not Costa Maya, what other alternates do you see?

Yeah, 10 days! Can't wait! :)

I think if its not Costa Maya, its going to be another sea day. I think RCCL is concerned that if they tell people it has changed, that they will be getting alot of irate people calling, which I believe is not the case. I for one am dissapointed, but completely understand. I would just like to know what day and what time we will be in Costa Maya if at all. I am a diver, and trying to plan dive trips and this takes a little advance notice. Also, RCCL has nothing to lose by telling us once we board, bec. they will refer you to the ships excursion desk to change your plans,and those of us who booked elsewhere will have to pay $1.00/min for internet access. uggg.....

Ryan

I too am disappointed, but completely understand. I would imagine any more than five ships in port would cause a tendering nightmare, and I'd rather not deal with that. I am open to visiting a new port......sure wish they would tell us which one and when!!!! I am also concerned about the independant tour operators who will lose our business and not be able to rebook in such a short time. IMHO this is totally unfair to them.:mad:

I think if its not Costa Maya, its going to be another sea day. I think RCCL is concerned that if they tell people it has changed, that they will be getting alot of irate people calling, which I believe is not the case. I for one am dissapointed, but completely understand. I would just like to know what day and what time we will be in Costa Maya if at all. I am a diver, and trying to plan dive trips and this takes a little advance notice. Also, RCCL has nothing to lose by telling us once we board, bec. they will refer you to the ships excursion desk to change your plans,and those of us who booked elsewhere will have to pay $1.00/min for internet access. uggg.....

Ryan

I found out in advance (on RCCL's website) we were going to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman. I have no clue why they're holding back now.

Internet access is "only" 50 cents per minute, if that makes you feel any better. ;)

Just checked my shore excursions for the millionth time and it is posted that we are going to Costa Maya. Wouldn't let me purchase anything, but Costa Maya is the port listed for Jan 13. Yea!!!! Finally got a definite answer! Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone who posted. Now I need your help again. Anyone who has been to Costa Maya please tell me what there is to do there. Did you use an independant or ship tour? All suggestions appreciated.:)

Just checked my shore excursions for the millionth time and it is posted that we are going to Costa Maya. Wouldn't let me purchase anything, but Costa Maya is the port listed for Jan 13. Yea!!!! Finally got a definite answer! Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone who posted. Now I need your help again. Anyone who has been to Costa Maya please tell me what there is to do there. Did you use an independant or ship tour? All suggestions appreciated.:)
That's exactly how I found out! I couldn't purchase excursions online either but at least it told me we were going to Costa Maya instead of Grand Cayman.

We did a ship-sponsored excursion tour of the Chacchoben Mayan ruins and really enjoyed it. A lot of people just took a cab to Mahahual (sp?) a fishing village not far from the pier and hung out there. It has a nice beach area and some little restaurant/bars and shops from what I understand. Whatever you do, definitely get away from the pier area.

Check out the Costa Maya ports of call board. Lots of good info there.

We are also sailing on Jan. 9th out of Galveston. My husband and I have been to G C may times and love it but have never been to Costa Maya and that would also be fun... If we get to go to GC our favorite thing to do is rent a car and see the entire island ( it is very safe). The diving and snorkeling are fabulous. Look forward to seeing all of you... Tina

Archived