Fredericksted when no ships in port

ILoveScotland

I haven't been to St. Croix in several years but hope to return next winter, not on a cruise but to stay for a week. We'll stay at Carambola Beach Resort if we go, but we like to drive to Fredericksted for a visit and for lunch or maybe dinner.

My memory from our last visit is that Fredericksted shut down more or less when cruise ships were not in port. Does anyone know if that's still true?

Thanks.

but a nice visit nonetheless. The pier area is really nicely done, there are some nice places for a snack/drink/lunch and the Fort is interesting to see. I've driven through town on ship days and it's nice to see smiling faces exploring, I hope you have a good trip here!

but a nice visit nonetheless. The pier area is really nicely done, there are some nice places for a snack/drink/lunch and the Fort is interesting to see. I've driven through town on ship days and it's nice to see smiling faces exploring, I hope you have a good trip here!

I haven't been to St. Croix in 6 years which is why I was curious about Fredericksted. I remember it as a lovely and interesting little port town, but it was very quiet, and few shops were open.

Haven't made definite plans yet but hope to within the next week or so.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I typically cruise to the Caribbean. Are there multiple ports / docks in St. Croix? I saw a St. Croix Tourism website which listed the ships in port for 2009. It seemed like there was only every one ship in port at a time for the entire island. Has anyone ever noticed more than one ship in St. Croix at a time?

Yes there are multiple ports here. Frederiksted Cruise port, Molasses Pier (used by Hovensa refinery and locals), and Gallows Bay (used by cargo shippers, also Seaborne docks here- right next to Christiansted). There are plenty of others, too- but F'sted is the place for big cruise ships.

We are currently recieving only one cruise ship a day. In times past we prob. had more, but STX is only now "warming up" as a port, after several dormant years.

OP, I do hope you come and enjoy your time here!

• 2 weeks later...

SDLong329, ships started coming back to St. Croix within this last year and its a few a month, usually just 1 in port at a time however I think I saw one day in November where there were 2 scheduled.

Ilovescotland - if during your visit there is a day with a ship in port you might head to Frederiksted then, its nice they set up tables by the clock tower and along the main road for vendors. They sell souvenirs, art work, crafts. Live music sometimes right on the street, by the tower or in the park - very nice. And if there are no ships in port during your stay the shops, cafes etc. are still open; the vendors and live music won't be there however as it is coordinated for cruise ship days. There are a few shops and cafes on the main road and in some of the cross roads. The fort is nice for a visit, they have some historical items on the island history, slavery, emancipation, Indians. Also a room with old/antique furnishings. Lovely view of Frederiksted and the beach from on top of the fort. So yes its still a pretty quiet town like you remember, it gets a bit busier when a ship is in port. Also, once a month there is Jazz in Frederiksted, this is in the late afternoon/early evening.

--Islander

Archived