Excursions - Mediterranean

millie4

Hi, we are cruising on Oceana next Saturday :) and as 1st time cruisers, are unsure whether to go it alone when we visit ports or sign up for the excursions. We are stopping at Praia da Rocha, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Calvi, Cartegena and Gibraltar. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi, we are cruising on Oceana next Saturday :) and as 1st time cruisers, are unsure whether to go it alone when we visit ports or sign up for the excursions. We are stopping at Praia da Rocha, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Calvi, Cartegena and Gibraltar. Any suggestions? Thanks

It really does depend on what you want to see and how adventurous you are. Of the above, Bacelona has an open topped bus service that lets you see the city and gives enough time to visit a couple of sites, Monte Carlo is easy walking (uphill going in) if you just want to see the town sights, Rome for me is best on a trip and Gibraltar again very possible for DIY.

The others I have not visited. Always remember that although the ship may wait a short time for late "all aboarders" people have been left shoreside in the past. Always take a note of the ship phone number and the port agent (it will be in the daily progtamme on port days)

Have a good one, bet you get "hooked"

David

Book a trip for Rome. Its 1 1/2 hrs away from the port. If you want to see the sites the pando tours fast-track you past the long queues in the hot sun, don't waste precious time queueing! I did 'essence of rome if its still available and not sold out well worth doing, you even go inside the vatican...

Hi, just thought you may have missed the comments which I think are posted in teh meeting place. We will be on the same cruise as you but someone pointed out that we are in Rome on a feast day which may affect vatican visists. We have booked glories of the gladiators which seems to give a bit of a tour then a bit on our own. Hopefully that will suit us

Praia da Rocha - fantastic beaches if you want to lie in the sun all day. Otherwise, the resort is a dump (went there in June aboard Oriana). If you are not sun-lovers, take a tour as there are some lovely places nearby.

Barcelona - you will get a port transfer, from where it is easy to get the Tourist Sightseeing buses if you have not been before - it is a big city with lots to see.

Monte Carlo - very easy to 'diy' here - I'd say just walk around independently using the ship information here - or do some research on the web.

Rome - if you haven't been before, I would recommend a tour.

Gibraltar - very compact and easy to diy with the ship map.

Sorry, haven't been to the others yet.

Have a fantastic time - I'm sure you will :)

Having recently (as in last week) been to Gibraltar on the Aurora, I cannot comment about Organised Excursions.

However, I would highly recommend the excursions run by chaps in the road, found half way up Main Street. For £20/25Euro, you board a minbus that holds 6. Fabulous value for money, if you consider that to walk everywhere would take 3+hrs, all uphill (!) and that the Siege Caves alone, cost £8 to get in. The trip, lasts about an hr and half, and you visit The Apes' Den, St Michael's caves, The Rock's Pillar of Hercules Monument, Great Siege Tunnels and also have pauses to stop at various points to look across to Africa and the Atlas mountains across the Strait. Only registered taxis/excurisons allowed up onto the Rock Nature Reserve, so it was great to avoid walking up the mountain, especially in the heat, or if anyone has mobility concerns! My elderly Uncle loved the Tour for this very reason, able to take it all in and not miss out.

Hubby and I found that although the stops are only 20 mins or so, they are more than enough, as we only had a day stop. It gave us the chance to take in as many sights as possible within our schedule. The driver spoke amazing English too, and gave onboard ongoing commentaries about the sights.

They also run special offers on the Cable Car, but we decided on the Tour as can take in much, much more.

Gibraltar uses both Euros and Sterling, but prefer the GB Pound. Some shops, especially jewellery shops, do great offers if you show your Cruise Card. Plus Barclays Bank, again on the Main St, issues Sterling notes in it's ATM- great if like us, did not have any with us, only Euros!

Have a wonderful holiday. Gibraltar was a lovely stop and I have already recommended this excurison to friends and relatives. Would use again.

Enjoy!!!

Archived