First Cruise and Confused?????

shoegal84

Ok can someone help me I am going to be leaving in Aug for a cruise ( Fascination 5 Day Bahamas) and I understand that if you dont have a passport you will need a birth certificate and an id.

But my problem is that the state where i was born South Carolina issues two different types of birth certificates long form and short form and the one I have is the short form. Can I use this to go on the cruise or do I need to try and get the long form?

I called carnival and they just told me they didnt know which one I needed and directed me to the travel.state.gov website but i found nothing there?

I am from South Carolina and I used the short form for my first cruise and I used the short form to get my passport. I don't even have the long one, I don't think there are many people that do here. I can't think of a reason you would need it because the little ones are considered official birth certificates.

I was told by Carnival when we started cruising the birth certificate has to have the raised state seal. Both my children were born in Nevda and theirs have raised seals. Mine is from many moons ago (LOL) in Virginia and does not. Mine has the seal in the background with watremarks that you hold to light to view. We have never had a problem after 12+ cruises. Being said, we are getting passports this year before our Dec. cruise.

Hope that helps some.

I've always used a passport (being a military brat, I've had one for a while); seems to be the best guarantee of citizenship and the best means to get you home in an emergency. When asked to provide my birth certificate for other reasons, it appears Alabama (at least when I was born there) didn't have a raised seal either, but a multicoloured stamp that is used declaring it official.

Oh my goodness thanks everyone for your help the short form that I have is like wallet size and it just has name birth date and a few other stuff I just dont want to get down there and they dont let me on the ship. I am also in the military and have a military id but I dont have a passport because I've only been in about 2 years and I have not deployed yet. But i will definitly get a pass port for future cruises.

I am from South Carolina and I used the short form for my first cruise and I used the short form to get my passport. I don't even have the long one, I don't think there are many people that do here. I can't think of a reason you would need it because the little ones are considered official birth certificates.

Im just confused cause the south carolina website says you need the long form for travel and there is no raised seal on the one I have either.

If you're not going to get a passport, I would get the long form certificate certainly. I can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure I read that you needed a long-form certificate to apply for a passport. The long form apparently has the doctors name, mother, father and other additional information not included on the short form.

I would highly suggest you get the long form for security. The last thing I would like to see happen is Carnival to not let you on the ship and you're out the money.

Your right i guess i will just get the long form just to be on the safe side cause its too late to get a passport, if i ordered one now I doubt it would get here b4 I left.

I got my expedited passport in about 5 days, though mine was a renewal.

I was told by Carnival when we started cruising the birth certificate has to have the raised state seal. Both my children were born in Nevda and theirs have raised seals. Mine is from many moons ago (LOL) in Virginia and does not. Mine has the seal in the background with watremarks that you hold to light to view. We have never had a problem after 12+ cruises. Being said, we are getting passports this year before our Dec. cruise.

Hope that helps some.

I am from SC and the small pocket size BC has been accepted on both cruise lines that I have sailed. It doesn't have a raised seal, but is accepted nonetheless. You will be fine with what you have unless something happens and you need to fly home. I got a passport a couple of years ago for two reasons: first, the changes were coming and secondly, I have elderly parents who are not in the best of health and may need to interrupt my cruise and fly home on a moments notice. In your case, without the passport, you are dead in the water......so to speak. hahaha

The birth certificates are working, but especially, if you are planning on cruising again, it is worth going ahead and getting a passport, saves any frustrations, and in case some emergency does arise. For an adult they are good for 10 years... not a bad investment.

Have fun.

I am from SC and the small pocket size BC has been accepted on both cruise lines that I have sailed. It doesn't have a raised seal, but is accepted nonetheless. You will be fine with what you have unless something happens and you need to fly home. I got a passport a couple of years ago for two reasons: first, the changes were coming and secondly, I have elderly parents who are not in the best of health and may need to interrupt my cruise and fly home on a moments notice. In your case, without the passport, you are dead in the water......so to speak. hahaha

Okay thanks I just went on the SC website and it says they havent issued raised seal BC since 1999. Im trying to see if I can get a passport but everywhere Im calling is sayin 3 weeks expidited and like $200 to $300.

Also since I dont have a passport will they not let me off the ship at Nassau or HMC?????:confused::confused::eek:

Okay thanks I just went on the SC website and it says they havent issued raised seal BC since 1999. Im trying to see if I can get a passport but everywhere Im calling is sayin 3 weeks expidited and like $200 to $300.

Also since I dont have a passport will they not let me off the ship at Nassau or HMC?????:confused::confused::eek:

1st, my Wife is also a born South Carolinian and she was able to get her passport by sending in the credit card sized birth certificate, last year.

2nd, the birth certificate and id is to get you BACK into the US.

In the Bahamas, all they will ask to see is your sign and sail card (ship card) and a drivers licensce to get back on the ship.

Bill

Your right i guess i will just get the long form just to be on the safe side cause its too late to get a passport, if i ordered one now I doubt it would get here b4 I left.

My freind traveling with me went on a monday to fill out her passport info at the post office and had it in the mail 2 1/2 weeks later so depending on your departure in Aug you may be albe to get one.

Archived