First Timer

Is it possible to book a scuba excursion without being certified? I have always wanted to try scuba diving, but I wanted to make sure I like it before investing in certification. I'm on Liberty of the Seas May 24,2010

Western Caribbean (Grand Caymans, Jamaica, Haiti, and Cozumel), any suggestions on who to book with in any of these places?

Totally understand where you're coming from, I did not realize myself what an investment getting certified would be until I was well into it but it's been worth it for me! Opens up a whole new world! The simple answer would be: you have to be certified to scuba. You could probably sign up but if you don't have your certification card with you, you will not be allowed to go. However, there are Discover Scuba excursions where you can learn the basics of scuba (how to use the equipment, etc) but it's not "real" scuba diving. But, perhaps that is what you are referring to. I've not done that but friends of mine have and enjoyed it. I'm not terribly enlightened on this subject so perhaps someone else can give you a better answer than me! All I do know with certainty is that you have to be certified to scuba dive.

DH and I will be on the Liberty this November and plan to scuba in Cozumel. Hope you have a great time!!

Is it possible to book a scuba excursion without being certified? I have always wanted to try scuba diving, but I wanted to make sure I like it before investing in certification. I'm on Liberty of the Seas May 24,2010

Western Caribbean (Grand Caymans, Jamaica, Haiti, and Cozumel), any suggestions on who to book with in any of these places?

Sign up for Discover Scuba. You'll get lessons and then they'll take you out diving. You just don't go as deep. Maybe to 35'? I'm not sure, but I think the people that respond in the Scuba section will know.

Thanks, for the tips. 35ft deep is enough for a first timer.

I think we went to 40 feet on my first Discover scuba experience. Definitely enjoyable and I was thoroughly hooked...so much so that I have been certified just over a year and have over 60 dives. I recommend Grand Cayman, but not sure which dive op your cruise line uses.

20-25 feet is enough for a first timer. Just don't go up faster than you bubbles!

Actually, you need to rise a lot slower than your bubbles...but that's another conversation!

Greetings,

You can go scuba diving without being certified. They put restrictions in place to keep you safe. You will not be able to go below 25 feet deep, you will have a Dive Master (DM) or Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI). There is a strict ratio of divers to DM or OWSI. The OWSI can handle more divers. The cruise ship advertises this as Discover Scuba Diving (DSD).

It is real scuba diving. The guide will ensure you don't do anything dangerous and give you enough training to be safe for the dive site they take you to.

Technically, according to the training agency you can go as deep as 40 feet but the cruise lines ask the DM/OWSI to keep it to 25 feet.

On your cruise they have DSD as Grand Cayman (ZG05) and Cozumel (ZD08). If you can only do one, do the Grand Cayman dive. It is probably better for DSD. Cozumel is better for certified divers.

Call Royal Caribbean or go to the website and you should be able to get all the details. There are restrictions, e.g. you have to be under 350 lbs.

If you decide to do the DSD trip, do it with the ship's tour. There are some not so scrupulous dive shops out there that operate pretty loosely. The ship's tour has been vetted for safety and presents the least risk.

Diving is safe as long as you follow the rules for a safe dive. It is like any other sport however and risks are involved. If you skydive and do not follow the rules, the result could be death. The same is true with SCUBA diving. Listen to the instructions carefully and do exactly what they teach you for a safe and fun dive. Then when you get home, get the training and your certification card (C card). You can then join the rest of us under the sea.

See you at 60 feet below the surface.

• 2 months later...

Archived