Ships & Flu

alohadad

If any HAL ship's come down with HiNi "swine flu" will you still cruise?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. If any HAL ship's come down with HiNi "swine flu" will you still cruise?

• Only if you received a large discount
    • No, not at all
    • If you were able to get a H1N1 shot before

Thousands die every year from regular seasonal flu. Nothing shocking some will/have died fron H1N1.

My nephew (teenager) was diagnosed with H1N1 and was minimally ill. We are grateful he apparently had a mild case as he is fully recovered and never was horridly ill from it.

To state people have died from this flu is accurate but not sensational.

I agree with Peaches we need to wait and watch to learn how severely the virus will mutate. It most definitely could become more deadly but it also may not.

Unless something dire develops, we have every plan to continue cruising.

Thousands die every year from regular seasonal flu. Nothing shocking some will/have died fron H1N1...To state people have died from this flu is accurate but not sensational...I agree with Peaches we need to wait and watch to learn how severely the virus will mutate. It most definitely could become more deadly but it also may not.

Well, yes and no.

It was the age group of the people who died in Mexico that raised people's eyebrows. Seasonal influenza is usually most fatal to those with weakened immune systems. When it took the life of otherwise strong and healthy people, telephones started to ring around the world.

While what we have seen may not qualify as "sensational" as you put it, it is certainly remarkable, and remarkable is enough to justify vigilance - especially as this bug gets around so well (it is now a pandemic).

As you wisely note we will have to wait until the next flu season to see how things work out and I join everyone in hoping for the best. We are even planning to sail in February.

Nothing I say should be construed that people should stay at home and lock their doors, but rather that as people make their vacation plans, they should consider that the prospects of a more virulent strain of H1N1 returning next flu season cannot be ruled out. If that does happen, and granted that is a big if, one has not just their personal health to worry about, but also that ports might close, ships could quarantine...and that would be a mess.

Some may find it prudent to take out "cancel for any cause" insurance, others may wish to plan their vacations outside of flu season, yet others might decide this is the time to travel closer to home.

People can go on in a business as usual posture, but why when just by addressing reality you can make choices like those above to avoid the potential of a ruined vacation?

Smooth sailing to you...

I don't have a problem cruising during a pandemic, what I have a problem with is FLYING

during a pandemic. We both got bad colds during/after our last three trips. The number of people coughing and sneezing on those flights made getting sick inescapable. Not fun.

I agree that flying is more of a chance for infection that cruising. If only the planes were as clean as the ships. :rolleyes: If only more people thought of others and didn't sneeze, wheeze and cough their way through the flight and actually stayed upon until they were well enough to travel without exposing everyone around them to their crud.

Ahhhh, if only......

I don't have a problem cruising during a pandemic, what I have a problem with is FLYING

during a pandemic. We both got bad colds during/after our last three trips. The number of people coughing and sneezing on those flights made getting sick inescapable. Not fun.

I agree with you! We sat in front of a couple who coughed all over us during our flight home - and it was a long one! They had caught some bug in Central America. Guess who ended up with it? I was sick for days.

I realize that people can't and don't always have the luxury of changing flights, but this couple did not even attempt to keep their germs to themselves. My poor husband felt the man's spittle on his arm! They had no kleenex or anything - just hacked, coughed and sneezed the entire flight - oh, and they talked incessantly. That's when I decided to bite the bullet and get noise cancelling headphones... :rolleyes:

Archived