Xel-ha or X-carat

sirreal34

We are traveling on Freedom of the seas on aug 16 and were interested in taking the xel-ha or x-caret excursion. Anyone know how long is the ferry boat ride from royal Caribbean to these excursions? what is the difference between the two. I went to both sites but both look similar. How much time do you get in these parks if the ferry boat rides are long?

Hi. From excursion sites it looks as though it's a 45 minute ferry ride and then aprox 20 minute bus/van ride to Xcaret. I investigated this because we visited Xcaret years ago and loved it. There's a choice of two fantastic lazy rivers (one above ground, one inside caves) that takes about 45 minutes to 'float.' Lots of people snorkeling, which is fairly funny since I don't believe there are any fish. But just floating through the river was great (and, I have to warn you, cold.) It's a long way to travel back and forth in a day, but we're still considering this option as well since it was so much fun for the entire family.

i agree that they are fantastic; i think they are best suited to a land-based discovery. it will all be over before you can get adjusted to the fact that you are there. i hate when i have only a third of a day or a half day at a park. :(

BUT if your heart is set on it, people i know have love xcaret.

• 4 months later...

did you mean Dzul-ha? .. we enjoyed x-caret(sp??) but really like Dzul-ha... great place to snorkel, beer is cold and waitstaff is great... xcaret is more like a theme park... (larger, lot more people,etc...) Dzul-ha is a 10 minute taxi ride, not 45 min water taxi... both are nice places, but if it was us, we would vote for Dzul-ha

Nope, OP means Xel-ha, not Dzul-Ha/Money Bar!

Xel-Ha is fantastic, it really is. One of my favorite places ever, loved floating down the river part, jumping off their cliffs and swimming next to sea turtles. BUT it is very far away from Cozumel. I looked at going there from Coz in May when we were on Freedom and it was an 8 hour trip, with only about 2 hours spent in Xel-Ha. For the price ($110+) and the little time there, all in transit, it just wasn't worth it to me. Go if you are ever on a land based vacation, which I highly recommend all over the Yucatan.

Nope, OP means Xel-ha, not Dzul-Ha/Money Bar!

Xel-Ha is fantastic, it really is. One of my favorite places ever, loved floating down the river part, jumping off their cliffs and swimming next to sea turtles. BUT it is very far away from Cozumel. I looked at going there from Coz in May when we were on Freedom and it was an 8 hour trip, with only about 2 hours spent in Xel-Ha. For the price ($110+) and the little time there, all in transit, it just wasn't worth it to me. Go if you are ever on a land based vacation, which I highly recommend all over the Yucatan.

sorry, not familiar with Xel-ha... sorry

We went to Xcaret two years ago through RCCL. It was awesome!! Our ages ranged from 16-75 and we all loved it. We got right off the ship onto ferry. The ferry made many sick. Sit outside on the top. Then when we got across on ferry we walked with tour guide to catch bus. Then, we had about 10-15 minute bus ride. We probably only had 5 hours at X-caret. Was it enough time- No, but our time there and pictures are priceless. We took the grandma's through the floating river. :eek: It was the highlight of our day. I would love to do it again. Our last couple of cruises to Mexico have been on Carnival and they haven't offered it on our cruises. I wish they would. I would go to X-caret!!

• 3 weeks later...

I would go to Xel-ha, but not as an excursion. You definitely don't have enough time coming from Cozumel. I was at Xel-ha back in 2005 when I was staying in Playa Del Carmen. I would only go if I was based on land, as mentioned above.

A good tip for Xel-ha is to snorkel the second you get there so you are one of the first in the water. Over the course of the day, the water gets churned and mucked up with all the people playing in it (doesn't sound like tourists could affect an entire bay, but the visibility was WAY better in the morning before the park was crowded.

Based on location, Xcaret is the better of the two options.

Xcaret is 4 miles south of Playa del Carmen

Xel-Ha is 30 miles south of Playa del Carmen.

Playa del Carmen is where the ferry from Cozumel will drop you off. Approximate ferry time is 45 minutes each way.

If you are taking kids, you might find this to be a great way to spend a day. If you are all adults in your group, you might investigate some other options.

The advantage of booking this as a cruise ship excursion (if offered) is that the ferry, bus to the park, admission is all rolled into one price, and you don't have to figure as much stuff out on your own- as in, ferry schedule, get a taxi from PdC to Xcaret and return, ferry back, etc.

Archived