On Solstice, docks 2PM San Juan What to do so little time, w/kids

felixdacat

San Juan seems to be the most confusing stop on the 7 day cruise.

The ship arrives at 2PM. On our cruise, this will be 12/22, the second shortest day of the year.

This is after a day at sea, so both the adults and the kids will be a bit antsy to get off the boat.

The kids are two 8 year old girls, one 9 year old boy, and one 11 year old girl.

The kids would be too small for the Segway tours. Too young for a zipline.

They will have zero interest in shopping or walking through Old San Juan.

Kinda late to be hitting the beach, and besides there will be better beaches later in the cruise.

The El Yunque tour is a possibility, but the sun sets that day a few minutes before 6PM, so it could be a little dim at the rain forest.

Another possibility is just taking them up to El Morro and flying kites.

Ship leaves at 8PM.

Any other ideas?

FX

We walked along Princesca, it's a nice walk with the city wall on the right and the water on the left. Then through the city gate and up to El Morro. I think my children would have enjoyed it when they were those ages.

The Carib Hilton has a children's playground area, as well as a private beach (calm water) with a climbing tower/trampoline in the middle of the water. They also have two swimming pools, tropical birds in cages, iguanas and black swans, and a Starbucks in the lobby. There's a Subway within an easy walk (two blocks?) with sandwiches, salads, soups, and a full ice cream and coffee bar.

You might want to bid on a room through Priceline/Hotwire, check in at 2:30 and spend the day.

There's also hammocks strung between huge palm trees, lots of room to walk and run, and a nice sandy beach with lots of chairs/lounges.

We loved it!

Wow- these times in ports are getting shorter and more bizarre!

Tues 2p-8p with kids...

Horse and Carriage rides in OSJ

There is a Helmet dive in SJ.

At 6pm at San Cristobal Fort the is the free Dance show.

You could head to Pinones and ride bikes along the board walk, or kayak in the lagoon. This area is only about 20 mins away from the cruise dock (by the airport).

There is horseback riding and ATV rides by the rainforest. This is about 1 hr away from the cruise dock)

Hey 63galaxie (I think my father had one of those in the 70's),

Cool idea.

My wife is a little lukewarm on it, but I think its an option to think about. At the current $250 a night room rate its out, but if we can drop it back to around $100 on the websites, it becomes doable.

Of course we will have the option of nicer beaches later in the cruise, but this is after almost 2 days at sea, so the kids would be real happy with this idea. And the Hilton has a kids club till 5PM, so we could check them in for two hours and have some adult options.

Thanks,

FX

Archived