Packing list for for 3 & 8 years olds

sprockie

Hi,

We have travelled with our kids a lot, but our first cruise with our kids is this winter.

Can people provide me with some ideas of essential things to bring?

As for clothes, less than you would think depending on how they are. For example, my daughter is very messy so we make sure to bring clean clothes for every day, plus extra. My son is very neat and often will prefer to just wear his jeans all week...so we pack less for him a couple of jeans and shirt changes. A pair of walking shoes and a pair of sandals (that are also comfortable for walking) are enough shoes. And make sure they have a quick dry bathingsuit.

Both my kids love to get a souvenir tshirt...so there is one less item we pack because we know we will be buying one.

As for their backpacks, they pack their own now (aged 9 and 11) but when they were younger, we packed paper and crayons - a journal when they were old enough -a book, their teddy bear and some small toys (action figures, plastic animals or littlest pet shop) and for the older ones the DS'es...but we found that the cruises always keep them busy enough that they do not need much on ship. These things were used for wind down and travel days mostly.

Keep room for souveniers and prizes...we just got off a RCCL cruise and they came home with a daybag, hat, stuffed toys, experiments they had done, crafts they had made, awards etc etc from their time in the club.

I always pack children's medicine. You can buy children's tylenol on the ship but you will pay a fortune. It's nice to have the benedryl or cough meds when you need them. I also pack a softsided small cooler for bringing snacks to the beach. We also let each kid pack a backpack. When my youngest was 3 we brought his favorite video for some down time. Have fun!

My kids were 3 and 8 when we travelled last October -- it was a BLAST! One quick idea is to pick up an over the door shoe rack. They're fabric, get one with clear pockets. It's perfect for keys, pagers (for the camps), hair bows, shoes, and many other things. We brought a large beach pail for each child filled with rakes, water guns, shovels and sand molds. The kids took them to each port and I was SO glad we'd brought them!!! I hate wet swim suits so I brought at least 3 for each child, my son could wear swim trunks with a T shirt most of the time anyway. We brought polo shirts for him and sun dresses for my daughter for dinner (they loved the restaraunts vs buffets, ordering new things off the menu, particularly for my 8 year old, was VERY exciting... he discovered escargot, calamari -3 plates!-, cheeses, fruits, salmon, etc. and he did not like lobster... go figure)... They had Princess parties for the little kids, so I was glad I'd brought my 3 year olds dress up dress. We brought a couple of books to read to them at night. You might want to get your 8 year old their own camera, an old one of yours or a disposable. We had an amazing time... this was our first cruise and we can't wait to go back, they still talk about it ALL THE TIME!!!

Thanks for the responses.

The sand toys are a must. They take so much room, but likely the best thing I brought to Cuba a few years ago. We brought a huge pail, several shovels, other pails etc. My 18 month old played with them constantly around the pool and the beach and it attracted others kids to play with too.

My kids are adventuresome eaters too, so they will be easy to please.

Thanks again.

If your kids are still prone to night time accidents, be sure to bring plenty of 'night night' pants. They don't sell them on most boats and most ports only carry diapers that aren't big enough for toddlers who have accidents and they are VERY expensive.

Try these buckets if space is at a premium.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=16/360&mode=Searching&erec=7&D=mini+buckets&Ntt=mini+buckets&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&N=0&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sd=12+Colorful+Mini+Beach+Play+Sets

They are definately mini, maybe 8-10 oz, but I find them perfect for packing a couple in suitcases or backpacks. My kids ages 1-10yrs, played with 6 of these for about 4 hours at the beach. They are so cheap, and come in groups of 12 that I don't mind if they break or get lost.

We have traveled with the younger age child and I have a downloadable PDF of our packing list on my site. Of course you should customize to what you need but I have never gotten anywhere and realized that I was missing anything. Just remember, DON'T OVERPACK! There is nothing worse than trying to carry all that stuff and then store it in the already cramped cabins!

Archived