Alaska cruise in early May

dinoman

I'm thinking about going on my 1st Alaska cruise in early May 2010 'cause it's cheaper in airfare, cruisefare and fits my work schedue. However from what I understand the tourist season usually starts in mid or late May, would there be anything to see and any tourist service providers open for business at that period of the time?

How do you compare a Alaska cruise in May with September? Which time of the year is better in terms of weather and the chance of sighting a whale?

I have been to Alaska many times and think May is a much better time to be there than September. The days are longer, the locals are not tired out from all the tourists, and everyone has a new fresh attitude. One year many of the tours were 2 for the price of 1. September days are shorter and fall/winter is just around the corner. We have encountered more rain also in September.

You can't visit Denali in early May and many tour operators are not going yet. May is too close to MUD season in Alaska for me. Everything is cheaper for a bunch of good reasons.

Middle May has safer weather.

But if you can only do early May it is better than doing nothing. If you go through the pages on this topic unit you get back to the May dates you will see some first hand trip reports some with photos.

We went the 2nd week of May. It was very cold with a strong wind making it feel colder. However there was sunshine every day. We thought the scenery was breathtaking, and the cold seemed to fit the scenery. We didn't do a cruise tour so weren't concerned by Denali not being open yet, and our excursions didn't go to areas where mud might be a problem. (We did a helicoter glacier landing in Juneau, and the White Pass Rail trip in Skagway.) A plus was that there was only 1 other ship at most ports. If you are planning the cruise only with no land tour, you can have a wonderful cruise in May. Our May Alaskan cruise was so wonderful that we're planning to go again, although we'll go later for warmer weather hoping for a variety in the scenery. Also, while we did see some wildlife, we hope to see much more later in the season.

We were in Alaska in late May and the Visitors Center at Portage Glacier was not yet open and the parking lot was still filled with winter snow. Weather was cool and we did manage to spend time in Denali (with requisite snow flurries) Fairbanks and Anchorage. By the time we boarded the ship the weather had improved marginally and we fully enjoyed the cruise but ideally I would want to travel Alaska a few weeks later than we did previously. The long hours of daylight even in late May made our time there even more enjoyable.:) There are always tradeoffs to be made when traveling and the lower fares may somewhat offset the shortcomings that a May trip may offer but that is something only the individual can decide.

I'm thinking about going on my 1st Alaska cruise in early May 2010 'cause it's cheaper in airfare, cruisefare and fits my work schedue. However from what I understand the tourist season usually starts in mid or late May, would there be anything to see and any tourist service providers open for business at that period of the time?

How do you compare a Alaska cruise in May with September? Which time of the year is better in terms of weather and the chance of sighting a whale?

We have a CC (Carnival) group going May 11, 2010, since it is a RT out of Seattle, we get to see Seattle too! While I have not been myself everything I have read and the people I have talked to says the weather was Great this year! Read some of the reviews on the boards and you will see why we are so impressed. The RT does not go as far North as some of the one way cruiese so most places should be open. :)

Thank you for all your advices. I think I would stick to May then. My plan is to do a R/T Vancouver cruise plus a few days pre-cruise in the city, therefore the Denali Park issue does not concern me much. The benefits of longer day light and better weather in May surely outweighted the Sept. option.

The earliest cruise in 2010, as far as I know, is the NCL Star departs from LA and the NCL Pearl departs from Vancouver, both are on 1 May. My idea is the excursion companies should be well-informed of the cruise schedule and certainly will open for business in order to serve these passengers coming in such a early time of the season.

We were lucky in early May in 2004; we actually had better and warmer weather than in mid summer last year (although YMMV).

We had no problems scheduling excursions in all the ports, including a private Kayaking excursion in Ketchikan. Snow and mud on Mt Roberts did interfere with our hiking there a bit, but otherwise, everything was up and running.

Archived